PDA

View Full Version : Frustrations with shin splints

goodtimes
04-30-09, 03:11 PM
Well... I am taking the week off from running in hopes that these clear up. I bought compressions, I am about to do an ice bath, eat a banana... so on and so forth. Anyways, do any other poolies feel the frustrations of shin splints do to the fact that it kills your training regimen? I feel weaker everyday that I do not run. by the time I get better, my atrophy will be debilitating.

jcarter73
04-30-09, 04:07 PM
Ok... Pay attention to this post Poolies. Shin Splints are the effect of a few things that you are doing wrong. Marines run... a lot... during your time in our Corps if you make the grade, and earn or coveted title, you will be running, and running.

To avoid shin splints you need to stretch before and after your run, stay hydrated, and I mean really hydrated... your urine should have no yellow in it at all... The most common reason for shin splints is your running form. Yes just like other workouts form in running is key to proper muscle development and injury prevention.

You must run HEEL to TOE... Your Heel is to hit the ground FIRST then the Ball of your foot... This is most crucial when running down hill... If you are running on the balls of your feet you WILL get injured... Shin Splints, Stress Fractures... you name it.

So make sure to Stretch, HYDRATE, and Run with PROPER form and you'll be good to go.

Now make the adjustments and get out there and run...

best of luck

JMReynolds111
04-30-09, 04:13 PM
If you are running on the balls of your feet you WILL get injured..

This is just a quick question, I probably should already know this by now but just making sure. When mentioned balls on your feet is that the portion at the beginning of your toes like right after the arch. I have just started running so I want to make sure to prevent anything serious.

Thanks.

jcarter73
04-30-09, 04:23 PM
Yes, the "Ball" of your foot is the spot after your arch and before your toes...

goodtimes
04-30-09, 04:41 PM
Ahhh... also, I think good running shoes are a must. My old shoes are close to a year old and as soon as I get the money, I will spare no expense at good footwear. I will try the new running techniques as Jcarter73 has so kindly stated.

sbombard15
04-30-09, 04:58 PM
I get them very bad when especially during basketball season and that i do is fill a 5 gallon pale with ice water and soak for 10 min. There is still a little pain afterward but i just run through it.

jcarter73
04-30-09, 05:07 PM
Yes, forgot to mention the importance of footwear. Keep a log of your distance each week... and replace your running shoes every 500 miles. Period. Even if they look like new, they are no longer providing the cushion your bones and joints need.

Also, with regard to expense... do not buy running shoes for fashion or name brand reasons.

Visit your local shoe store and try on every pair within your price range. Don't just try them on, RUN IN THEM... Run around the store in each pair... buy the ones that feel the best regardless of color, brand or look.

Capital M
04-30-09, 06:20 PM
Also, if you feel that you are "getting weaker" while you can't run. hop on a bike and do sprints on that, it may be a little painful, but it's better than nothing. that's what I do days after long runs that make me feel it.

phantasm
04-30-09, 06:51 PM
Shin splints are rough. I used to get them alot when running. Be sure to wear proper running shoes and stretch your shins as well as calfs before and after the run. Plenty of advice has been given on proper running technique, so I see no reason to rehash it all. Good luck and stay motivated.

Convulsive
04-30-09, 08:13 PM
Just adding on to the above advice. Google has a bunch of stretches and exercises you can do if you suspect you have shin splints. Also icy hot patches work very well I found out. I put on an icy hot patch after a run because my shins were killing me so bad. next day I ran 2 miles without a problem.

futurepoole08
04-30-09, 11:29 PM
Just means you have weak shins. Build your calf muscles up also, walk around on your tips toes (it will help strengthen them). Make sure you're running correctly, not over striding or under striding. Running heel to ball of the foot. Make sure you're wearing correct running shoes. No cross trainers or anything, ACTUAL running shoes. I had them REALLY bad to the point I couldn't walk afterwards. So I know what you're going through.

christine_06
05-06-09, 08:36 PM
I have problems with shin splints all the time and its more annoying and frustrating then anything. Make sure you are properly stretching before and after running and make sure you have shoes that properly fit. Run from heel to toe and stretch out your strides. Use ice on your shins for about 15 minutes after a run. Another thing that will help is to apply tiger balm before and after running. If you have any other questions just ask. Good luck.

JoshuaP
05-06-09, 08:50 PM
I had shin splints when I started running. I ended up taking three weeks off of running, did a lot of lifting, and HIIT, and now im back to running (less frequently than I was with when I had splints). If my shins hurt during the beginning of my run I stop and do hill sprints, or the eliptical, or swim.
I dont think its worth making my shin splits worse to finish that run, given the amount of training time I have at the moment.
Right now im running 1-2 times a week.
Best of luck!