PDA

View Full Version : Presentation.........

crate78
04-30-09, 09:12 AM
My wife volunteered me to give a presentation on the military to an eighth grade class next week.

I've never done this before. If any of ya'll have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance,

crate

TJR1070
04-30-09, 09:21 AM
I have always found that it's easy to talk about something you love. With that being said I would suggest that with only a rough outline of topics that you would like to discuss (ex. Marine History, your own Marine Corps story, Marine current events) that you will have no problem and you might even run out of time before you finish. I teach adult students EMT, but I also give classes in the schools in my fire district for fire prevention education. I will say that children often have alot more questions and usually lead the conversation in certain directions that might interest them. That however makes it easy to keep the discussion going and to smoothly introduce new topics. Their geniune interest and excitement about new things makes it a wonderful experience to share knowledge with them.

Rocky C
04-30-09, 09:33 AM
Crate,
Since they are eighth graders and are proably easily distracted from some speaking topics I would set up some audio/video equipment, go to the local libray and pick up a DVD on Marine Corps history, show it, take some Q&A and then, Class dismissed. Time will go by, you'll look like a College professer, and your Wife will love you for it!!!
Semper Fi,
Rocky

crate78
04-30-09, 10:43 AM
I'm kinda thinking along the lines of giving a brief history of each branch of the service, their individual roles in national defense, and how each branch of the service complements and supports the other.

Then open it for Q&A.

I may take a few Marine Corps artifacts along.

Thanks for the responses.

crate

awbrown1462
04-30-09, 10:53 AM
go talk to a Recuriter and see if he has anything to use also..
have to ask this what is a E-5 Staff Seragent

crate78
04-30-09, 12:03 PM
E-5 was Staff Sergeant until they changed the rank structure in 1959. Then E-5 Staff Sergeants were in la-la land during a transition period until July 1, 1963 when the ones who hadn't made E-6 Staff Sergeant reverted to E-5 Sergeants. Lance Corporals were added in between Pfc and Corporal.

The whole thing was a big cluster-f***, thanks to then Commandant David Shoup. My promotion warrant, which I still have, says "Staff Sergeant, Permanent", with no pay grade mentioned.

Confused? So was everyone else.

crate

GSEMarine94
04-30-09, 12:29 PM
Keep the topics short, say 5 mins per subject, with a total talk time of no more then 20-30 mins. My wife teaches 1st grade and they can only focus for about 15 mins, being 8th graders they should be able to stay focused a little longer. I gave her class a similar lecture a few years ago and the "artifacts" I took were my dress blues hanging with ribbons and badges. I also had some pics of the aircraft I worked around.
Just remember to have fun with it and they will too, SF.

crate78
05-01-09, 10:21 AM
I guess my wife didn't have the whole story. It looks like there will be several other assorted veterans and we each will give a short overview of our own service.

crate

Osotogary
05-01-09, 08:08 PM
May I suggest getting hold of some yellow construction paper and cutting a few or more yellow footprints that can be taped temporarily to the floor? Then explain the bus ride to MCRD and have them stand on the yellow footprints after they have "gotten off the bus" and then explain to them what ever part of Marine Corps history or procedure that you wish. Just an idea with very brief student participation. Maybe you should ask for volunteers.
Good luck.

Osotogary
05-01-09, 08:14 PM
Talk about Young Marines or the Devil Pup Programs. Toys for Tots.

sparkie
05-01-09, 09:07 PM
Man,,,,,,, With all this good advice,,,,,,,, You'll do fine. [Wear a Smokie].