PDA

View Full Version : Toby Keith acknowledges that he can hold a grudge

thedrifter
04-30-09, 06:50 AM
Toby Keith acknowledges that he can hold a grudge
By CAITLIN KING, Associated Press Writer
Wed Apr 29, 1:24 pm ET

WASHINGTON – Toby Keith acknowledges that he's the type to hold a grudge.

The 47-year-old country singer says certain things can be forgiven, "but if you're gonna tell a lie about me, and then back it up like it's the truth to try to make your star brighter ... yeah, I've got a problem with that."

Keith has been in a number of public feuds over the years, including spats with Dixie Chicks singer Natalie Maines and actor Ethan Hawke.

He says he deals with "haters" every day and usually doesn't listen to them twice.

"If you can't do as well as I'm doing, then the only thing you can do is take shots at me, but that's expected," he says.

And Keith is doing well. Forbes magazine recently named him No. 3 on the annual list of country music's top moneymakers, with $52 million. He's got a new clothing line, restaurant franchise and endorsement deals, and a successful touring schedule.

He makes no apologies for being outspoken — especially when it comes to the military.

"Anytime people are gonna put their life in jeopardy to make my world advance forward, I'm gonna pat 'em on the back," he says. "And if somebody wants to find something political out of it, then fine. But my dad taught us that those people ought to be respected."

Keith, whose hits include "Courtesy of the Red, White & Blue," is on his eighth USO tour, performing 17 shows in 11 days for U.S. troops in Afghanistan.

Instead of staying inside the heavily protected "green zone" the entire time, he travels to two forward operating bases a day, sometimes taking a two-hour helicopter ride to perform for only 25 to 30 troops.

Keith says the appearances make his wife and three children nervous.

"We've been shot at a few times," he says. "I've literally been in a foot race with other Marines and soldiers to the bunkers, with the sirens going off and mortars hitting."

Ellie