PDA

View Full Version : Tailgunner or crew chief?

Alex7
04-30-09, 01:22 AM
Hey guys,i was planning on ch 53 crew chief and everyone tells me its great.But i started thinking about being a tailgunner.i know basic duties of each but i'd like to hear from people what each does most of the time and which would be more enjoyable.I appreciate it

Achped
04-30-09, 07:18 AM
Tailgunner will have you sitting on a bucket staring at the desert making condition 1 and 4 every time you fly inside the wire. I never saw tail gunners though, just side.

Crew chief will have you yelling at guys like me because our seatbelts are ****ed up.

Capital M
04-30-09, 01:16 PM
Welcome back Cpl!

Books
04-30-09, 02:19 PM
Is tailgunner even an MOS? I thought it was just a billet carried out by other aircrew, kind of like anyone can man up for door gunner when there is only one crew chief on board.

Also, I have the AG contract field, and unless you're like me with connections, you can't be guaranteed a specific airframe. Most likely you'll end up on the MV-22. The word on the street is that all new aircrew are being shafted to the MV-22 and hardly anyone new gets training in CH-53E or UH-1N/Y, and probably nobody for the CH-46.

phantasm
04-30-09, 02:50 PM
Also, I have the AG contract field, and unless you're like me with connections, you can't be guaranteed a specific airframe.

Enjoy blowing your own horn huh? Something tells me that will stop soon enough.

Books
04-30-09, 02:58 PM

I'll blow your horn if the price is right.

phantasm
04-30-09, 03:07 PM
I'll blow your horn if the price is right.

Wow. Come talk to me when you get some salt behind your ears kid. I'm not a Marine, nor an official poolee just yet. But I have 5yrs of prior service. So when you've man'd up come find me and we'll talk about it.

GSEMarine94
04-30-09, 03:16 PM
Is tailgunner even an MOS?

there is no such thing as a "Tailgunner" in the Marines, the position is called an AO (Aerial Observer). This is not an MOS but as long as you pass all of the requirements, swim qualification (not the one in boot), vision, written tests and receive the proper amount of training flights you can earn the AO title and wear flight wings. You are not aircrew unless you have wings, thus being in the airwing does not qualify someone as being aircrew.

Capital M
04-30-09, 06:13 PM

8/24 heh heh

Books
04-30-09, 06:29 PM
So when you've man'd up come find me and we'll talk about it.

No need. I'll tell you up front that I'm cash only. Next time you're in New York and lookin' for a good time, you should drop me a line. They don't call me Cock Face for nothing.

phantasm
04-30-09, 06:49 PM
No need. I'll tell you up front that I'm cash only. Next time you're in New York and lookin' for a good time, you should drop me a line. They don't call me Cock Face for nothing.

Man I would love to be in boot and watch them break you. Your attitude is crap and you clearly have no respect. Your holier than thou attitude is going to land you in some deep trouble someday. I can rest assured that someone is going to beat you real bad one day, then and only then will you realize you've been a fool.

Good luck with your obsession with cocks. I'll be sure to write my DI friend at MCRD PI around 9/1 and inform him of your obsession. That should be fun for you. Until then, **** off kid.

MarinesFTW
04-30-09, 08:20 PM
From the looks of it Books you need to chill, your still a poolee you have nothing over any one here at all, your still at the bottem of the chain, and asking a nother guy to touch ur cock.. Well, they dont let gays into the military, think I should let ur recruiter know.

GavinL91
04-30-09, 08:35 PM
So what is the name for the mos that travels in a aircraft,delivers and recieves Marines,and travel to and frm combat zones,A name and a mos # would be cool.

(I need another choice if my 1st mos 0481 doesnt workout)

FirstGen
04-30-09, 08:46 PM
Man I would love to be in boot and watch them break you. Your attitude is crap and you clearly have no respect. Your holier than thou attitude is going to land you in some deep trouble someday. I can rest assured that someone is going to beat you real bad one day, then and only then will you realize you've been a fool.

Good luck with your obsession with cocks. I'll be sure to write my DI friend at MCRD PI around 9/1 and inform him of your obsession. That should be fun for you. Until then, **** off kid.

I'll let you know, I'll be there.

Books
04-30-09, 08:57 PM
Your attitude is crap and you clearly have no respect.

My attitude is fantastic and I have tons of respect for most people - just not for you.

I don't know you, you don't know me, but clearly you like making sweeping generalizations about my attitude and respect. I am an extremely motivated, hard-charging poolee. I am entrusted with my recruiters with a lot of delicate responsibilities incident to their own jobs that probably no other poolee has ever been trusted to do, ever. I didn't come off the varsity football team and my dad ain't no senator and I've worked hard to be the poolee that I can be, so the last thing I could really care about is for some person to make judgment calls on my character over the internet. Notice how I don't respond to you seriously. I am mocking you. I don't care if you were a guardsman or an 11B, your BS means nothing to me, and for someone saying I am "holier than thou", you really got a lot of sanctimony yourself for preaching about what is going to happen to me.

And if you really are that dense to think I am really interested in exchanging sexual favors, then I think it is obvious who is going to have a rougher time down the road. You take yourself too seriously.

phantasm
04-30-09, 09:00 PM
My attitude is fantastic and I have tons of respect for most people - just not for you.

I don't know you, you don't know me, but clearly you like making sweeping generalizations about my attitude and respect. I am an extremely motivated, hard-charging poolee. I am entrusted with my recruiters with a lot of delicate responsibilities incident to their own jobs that probably no other poolee has ever been trusted to do, ever. I didn't come off the varsity football team and my dad ain't no senator and I've worked hard to be the poolee that I can be, so the last thing I could really care about is for some person to make judgment calls on my character over the internet. Notice how I don't respond to you seriously. I am mocking you. I don't care if you were a guardsman or an 11B, your BS means nothing to me, and for someone saying I am "holier than thou", you really got a lot of sanctimony yourself for preaching about what is going to happen to me.

And if you really are that dense to think I am really interested in exchanging sexual favors, then I think it is obvious who is going to have a rougher time down the road. You take yourself too seriously.

Hm. lol. Eighteen and knows it all... good for you kid. Good for you.

MarinesFTW
04-30-09, 09:30 PM
Then go haze yourself for making urself look like *** hole and ill do the same..

GSEMarine94
05-01-09, 07:26 AM
So what is the name for the mos that travels in a aircraft,delivers and recieves Marines,and travel to and frm combat zones,A name and a mos # would be cool.

(I need another choice if my 1st mos 0481 doesnt workout)

You're talking about a crew chief, there are different MOS's depending on which airframe you get. There are also plane captains which is exactly like the crew chief except it is for aircraft which you will be unable to fly with (F-18's, AH-1's, etc). I'm not real sure if you can pick between PC VS CC so speak with your recruiter about it.

TJR1070
05-01-09, 08:08 AM
HEY POOLEE'S, YOU WILL RESPECT EACH OTHER AT ALL TIMES!!! All of you desire to be Marines then start acting like you have a clue of what we are about. We are a team and a family, yes families have fights and squabbles, but they have respect for each other and show it. Your fellow poolee's are the greatest support group you can have for your desicion to join the Marine Corps. They are the only ones who are in the same place/postion in their lives that you are, you work out and gain information and knowledge together. If you can't control yourselves and have a little tact now what can we expect out of you when you get to boot camp and have to rely on each other. Guess what you may not like everyone there either. Get your heads out of your azzes and start realizing that you should be acting like you want to be Marine recruits now!!

scifguard
05-01-09, 09:01 AM

Kid, you better grow the f**k up right goddam now. It doesn't matter if phantasm isn't in the Marine Corps. He still served so you better show him some respect. I don't care if your a "hard-charging" poolee. You still come off as a complete s**tbag to Marines. And if you keep that attitude up they'll have that impression of you throughout your career.

bigirongunner
05-01-09, 03:12 PM
6173 is a 53 crewchief, 6174 is a huey crewchief (UH-1). only 53s have tailguns. and only crewchiefs and AO's who are qualified to operate the GAU-21 (tail gun) do. You cant just have some swingin d***k bop in off the street and pull the trigger. TGI (tail gun instructor) is a highly saught after qualifacation in the 53 aircrew. you need to qualify on the door guns first and be profecient in their operations and firing characteristics before you even think about the tail. there is no "door gunner" MOS its a qualification held by a crewchief or AO. any other questions about it feel free to ask

bigirongunner
05-01-09, 03:16 PM
Almost forgot, a Plane Captain is also a qualification not an MOS

GavinL91
05-01-09, 07:37 PM
You're talking about a crew chief, there are different MOS's depending on which airframe you get. There are also plane captains which is exactly like the crew chief except it is for aircraft which you will be unable to fly with (F-18's, AH-1's, etc). I'm not real sure if you can pick between PC VS CC so speak with your recruiter about it.do you know a mos #

FirstGen
05-02-09, 10:37 AM
do you know a mos #

Helicopter Crew Chief, CH-46- 6172
Helicopter Crew Chief, CH-53- 6173
Helicopter Crew Chief, UH-1- 6174
Tiltrotor Crew Chief, MV-22- 6176

MOS 6199 is enlisted flight crew, assigned to 6199 before they get an airframe. *I believe* correct me if I'm wrong.

The MOS # on an AG contract is 6172, 6173, 6174, 6176, 6199, and 73xx

GavinL91
05-02-09, 10:42 AM
thnx for the list.

DocGreek
05-02-09, 10:54 AM
Tail Gunners, on a fixed wing aircraft?? HMMMM! B-17's, B-29's, GOOD OLD DAYS....first to die, in a fighter attack!!....DOC