PDA

View Full Version : I Have A Qeustion....can Anyone Answer This For Me

SGT-JOHN-ADDY
04-29-09, 02:27 PM
I Have Heard That Parris Island Is Changing Things...i Heard That They Are Taking Away The Drill Instructor Cover Because It Is To
Intimidating And Some Other Things.....does Anyone Know If This Is True Or Not

Chumley
04-29-09, 02:40 PM
As much as things change, I hope that doesn't. My guess is it's scuttlebutt, false. However, I beleive DI's now do not wear campaign covers at some intervals of training and wear a standard 8-point utility cover instead.
SFi
C

GSEMarine94
04-29-09, 02:50 PM
God I hope not.

SGT-JOHN-ADDY
04-29-09, 02:51 PM
Yea You And Me Both Brotha

04-29-09, 03:59 PM
I have heard a million times over the years that boot camp is all changed for the worst (i.e. softer), and I'm not buying it. I heard before I entered boot (in '75) that Drill Instructors were not supposed to thump recruits. My Drill Instructors must've never gotten that memo! The "flag" system was brought in (red, black, blah, blah) to avoid heat exhaustion, my Drill Instructors got around that one while complying with the letter of the law. Point is, USMC Drill Instructors are gonna find (or make) a way to make it stay pretty much what it is, because they know, like we do, that it needs to. As for the "smokey" going away, I highly farkin' doubt it.

My http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=549&pictureid=5215

CplHawk
04-29-09, 04:19 PM
Highly doubt it's gonna go away. There's always scuttlebutt about MCRD changing and such. When I graduated it was widely believed that we were the last company to ever hump the Reaper because "someone died on the hump"; but every new addition to my unit who went to MCRD San Diego claims the same thing.

Big Jim
04-29-09, 05:28 PM
I Have Heard That Parris Island Is Changing Things...i Heard That They Are Taking Away The Drill Instructor Cover Because It Is To
Intimidating And Some Other Things.....does Anyone Know If This Is True Or Not

I have also heard alot about things like this being taken away for no reason or for reason like intimidation or recruits being scared and having long lassting effects from it. Well say FRIKKIN GOOD...!! Those long lasting effects are the ones that the DI's want you to have.....man....this all makes me sick that our Corps has moved in a direction of kinder and gentler....where is the blood, sweat and tears that made a Marine....??!! Doesn't anyone want to to achieve the title by just plain old hard work anymore....??

degenerate138
04-29-09, 06:05 PM
Just graduated last Friday and never heard that rumor... so let's hope it's false. They wore the 8 point cover only when we were in the field, which was weird to see.

ggyoung
04-29-09, 06:06 PM
Has the Army done away with the campaign cover? If not then The Marine Corps damn sure won't do away with it. Boot camp is always changing, the more it changes the more it stays the same.From what I have since the year 2000 the Navy and the Marines are still in very capable hands.

jackson07
04-29-09, 09:15 PM
At San Diego the 8 point is being worn in the field. Otherwise they are still wearing the smokey bear. I drive by the Crucible everyday to work.

BR34
04-29-09, 09:18 PM
...I know without a shadow of a doubt there are MANY barber shops in Oceanside and on Pendleton. Why the hell don't Marines on the West Coast get haircuts!?!?!?

There's my rant, back to you all's campaign cover discussion.

awbrown1462
04-29-09, 09:21 PM
Has the Army done away with the campaign cover? If not then The Marine Corps damn sure won't do away with it. Boot camp is always changing, the more it changes the more it stays the same.From what I have since the year 2000 the Navy and the Marines are still in very capable hands.
nope they still have them and the Females still have the funny looking ones
http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/moxiepix/b1_897.gif

sparkie
04-29-09, 09:30 PM
I pray it never changes,,,,,,,, But when I booted, DI's went topless for the runs,,,,,,, I hope things change, but remain the same.

BR34
04-29-09, 09:33 PM
I pray it never changes,,,,,,,, But when I booted, DI's went topless for the runs,,,,,,, I hope things change, but remain the same.

Topless 4th Bt Drill Instructors...I can dig it!

sparkie
04-29-09, 09:37 PM
Topless 4th Bt Drill Instructors...I can dig it!

I ment without covers,,,,,,,,:beer: utes, T shirt, and all hell set loose.
Get your head outta their pants, BR34,,,,,,,,,,

SGT-JOHN-ADDY
04-30-09, 06:48 AM
Topless 4th Bt Drill Instrustors I would live at 4th Bt then if I was still in Beaufort....but heading there in June....can't wait to see the old stumping grounds....taking my son to see the Island

silverdollar
04-30-09, 08:23 AM
I thought those smokie bear hats looked silly when they first started wearing them.:marine:

TJR1070
04-30-09, 09:12 AM
All I can say is that alot has changed since I went to boot camp, was it for the better or worse? Well I get Leatherneck every month and the citations for bravery in combat that I have seen monthly in that magazine makes me belive that whatever has changed hasn't affected the combat effectiveness of our Corps. Everything in this world seems to change except the long standing legacy of the Marine Corps that Marines do two things "We make Marines and Win Battles!!"

sparkie
04-30-09, 08:23 PM
Long after I'm dead,,,,,,,,,,God Bless the Marine Corps,,,,,,,,,

Zues
05-01-09, 05:02 AM
i also heard that the reaper was being taken out of the crucible because Salinas couldnt hike it in san deigo... i wont be happy if thats true...