PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Marine Corps buys Saab's instrumented training system

thedrifter
04-29-09, 07:28 AM
U.S. Marine Corps buys Saab's instrumented training system

08:24 GMT, April 29, 2009 Saab has received a contract to produce and field the Instrumented - Tactical Simulation Engagement System (I-TESS) for the U.S. Marine Corps. Within the frame of the contract, that has a possible value of approximately $29 million USD, a first order, valued at $22 million USD, has been placed.
“We are pleased to be able to continue to support the US Marine Corps and the US war fighting capabilities,” says Lars Borgwing, President, Saab Training USA. “I-TESS will significantly expand the current base of instrumentation systems already fielded by Saab for the U.S. Marine Corps. The system will provide many of the specialized urban warfare training skills required in today’s asymmetric warfare.”

Saab was selected in a competitive procurement, requiring a detailed technical proposal and field demonstration of capabilities at the Marine Corps Base (MCB) Quantico, Virginia.

The same instrumentation system is fielded with the U.S. Army, U.S. Navy SEALs and five major armies in Europe.

About I-TESS
I-TESS is a modular and mobile integrated range instrumentation system with modern laser simulators that provide greatly improved training capabilities over currently fielded devices used in urban warfare training exercises. I-TESS provides exercise control, battle tracking, data collection and rapid After-Action Reviews (AARs) for live training events. The real-time situational awareness, exercise control capabilities, and adjudication of indirect fire engagements maximize the training exercise benefits and reduce the amount of time needed for live training. Additionally, I-TESS interfaces with virtual and constructive simulations for an integrated training program at multiple locations and command levels.

The system leverages Saab’s military training and communications technologies developed under the U.S. Army’s Deployable Instrumented Training System (DITS) and major instrumented combat training centers in Europe. Saab’s rapid production capabilities were proven with the first deliveries of the same systems to the U.S. Army in Iraq in 2004.

Large unit tactical exercises are instrumented by I-TESS to provide command and control in tracking all Marines and weapon systems, simulation of direct fire and indirect fire of artillery and naval gunfire and the collection of data for after action reviews. The system provides the self-contained infrastructure for all communication and simulation. The systems will be fielded at various Marine Corps bases and installations for the USMC Pre-deployment Training Program and other type of individual and company level training.
defpro.news

Company or Organisation Portrait:
Saab Training USA, a part of Saab, is located in the Orlando Central Florida’s Research Park and has supported the U.S. Armed Forces and Homeland Defense with targetry, laser simulators and instrumentation training products for over thirty years.

Saab serves the global market with world-leading products, services and solutions ranging from military defence to civil security. Saab has operations and employees on all continents and constantly develops, adopts and improves new technology to meet custeomers’ changing needs.
Company or Organisation Contact:
Saab Press Center
Tel. +46 734 180 018
Anders Jonzon, Communications Director, Saab Training Systems
Tel. +46 768 967 116

defpro profile:
http://www.defpro.com/community/profile/anders_jonzon/professionalinformation/

Ellie