PDA

View Full Version : Really crazy night, saved some lives on the way home from Lejeune tonight...

Accord
04-29-09, 12:15 AM
We got off work at 1830 and every night I always go to the Courthouse Bay Gym before I drive home (I live on Topsail Island). I leave the gym about 1930'ish and I just left the back gate and i'm coming home on 210 which is only a two lane road when I come up on a head on collision that just happened not even 15 seconds prior, there are only a few bystanders around who were in other cars but they were all civilians and in just total shock unable to do anything at all except for this one other Marine who was from 2/8. I immediately jump out of my car and start assessing what the hell just happened and one of the cars had a mother and father in the front seats with two kids and an old lady in the back seat, everyone in the car was ****ed up beyond recognition except for the two kids who were about 5-6 years old and in child seats that saved their lives. The other car had 4 Marines, I know at least 2 of them were from 3/9. One of the Marines had a collapsed lung, broken back, broken pelvis, broken jaw (his jaw was on his forehead) among countless other serious injuries. Me and the other Marine from 2/8 shut off the engines/power to both vehicles and prioritized the casualties so when EMS showed up we could point them to the worst ones first. In this area of North Carolina all EMS, fire, etc. are mostly volunteer so response times are a lot slower than in big cities and the numbers of responders are a lot less, needless to say only a few paramedics/emt's responded which wasn't enough for this mass casualty situation of 9 people all just ****ed up, so me and the MArine from 2/8 did everything we could to help like moving patients onto stretches, helping load them onto the bird, I inserted one of the rubber nasal tubes that they teach us how to do during CLS classes, writing down vitals on scrap paper on the fly for every patient, etc. the whole thing was just surreal. Everyone was absolutely torn apart and the accident was so bad that they had to call in the air ambulance helicopter which had to make THREE separate trips. This whole thing took me right back to the CASEVAC's I had to run in Afghanistan, the adrenaline, the way I reacted, everything was the same it was nuts. We were there on scene for almost two hours, by the time the fire dept showed up they were just cleanup crew for the cars in the accident. After everything was basically over this captain from onslow county fire/rescue talked to me and the 2/8 guy and he asked us if we were Corpsman and he was shocked when we said no we're just Marines who had CLS training and nothin more, and he gave us his phone # and said to call him tomorrow with the addresses of our commanders so he can write a letter of appreciation to him. Pretty crazy. The one Marine with the collapsed lung, broken back, etc. lost his pulse and everything when we loaded him onto the bird and I don't know what happened to him but everyone else despite being really ****ed up will all live, but pray for that Marine from 3/9 who is in extremely serious condition...

SlingerDun
04-29-09, 12:23 AM
Guardians On Alerthttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

CH53MetalMan
04-29-09, 01:22 AM
Accord

Damn good job.

Good luck catching some sleep after all that! An adrenaline rush like that can't easily be turned off. Take care of yourself.

DocGreek
04-29-09, 04:03 AM
You've made all of us Corpsmen proud! I pray that the Marine makes it. Let us know how things turn out......SEMPER FI.....DOC

Achped
04-29-09, 04:10 AM
Accord there's no telling how many lives you saved. You could've just kept on driving. I'm glad there are still Marines out there like you...maybe a 550 cord belt doesnt make you a turd after all?

mcvet57103
04-29-09, 10:30 AM
Good job Marine. You deserve recognition for your quick response, and attention to detail. If you saved just one life, your efforts were worth it. Found the following news story on line. SF

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/43971562.html

CplHawk
04-29-09, 12:59 PM
Accord, job well done! I will be passing word along to all of my unit (from MCAS New River and Camp Lejeune, currently in Afghanistan and Iraq) to pray for the safe and speedy recovery of all those involved, including the Marine who's pulse dropped. Plese keep us updated to any news you hear of him if you do.

GSEMarine94
04-29-09, 01:36 PM
Well done Marine. :thumbup:

charm1110
04-29-09, 01:56 PM
Accord

Great Job!! your quick decisive action probably saved at least one life and I am extremely proud of your willingness to get involved, that's one attribute that's sorely missing in the civilian world. I will be praying for all of these people as well as you and that other Marine you said was from 2/8.

temarti
04-29-09, 02:49 PM
:thumbup:Great Job!

Smitty Puffs
04-30-09, 11:43 AM
Way to go man! Good on you.

rb1651
04-30-09, 11:49 AM
Great job Marine!!!!

Rocky C
04-30-09, 04:16 PM
Great Job Accord !!!
Semper Fi My Brother,

Rocky

yellowwing
04-30-09, 04:51 PM
Outstanding! Says much for training and Character, Semper Fi

Marine84
04-30-09, 05:23 PM
maybe a 550 cord belt doesnt make you a turd after all?

2 totally different things Grasshoppa. You get praise when you do good, not bad.

Way to go Jed - you done good.

390 Mach I
04-30-09, 05:35 PM
Hey Accord.. Job well done!
Kudos to you!

:thumbup:

Accord
05-02-09, 11:39 AM
Just found out that my unit put me in for a NAM.

mcvet57103
05-02-09, 11:47 AM
What is a NAM? I know it's a commendation medal but what is the exact name for it? I tried googling it with no results. Only thing I found was the Navy Achievment Medal. Would that be it? SF

CplHawk
05-02-09, 11:51 AM
Just found out that my unit put me in for a NAM.

Congratulations Accord, you deserve it!

CplHawk
05-02-09, 12:45 PM
What is a NAM? I know it's a commendation medal but what is the exact name for it? I tried googling it with no results. Only thing I found was the Navy Achievment Medal. Would that be it? SF
Yes that would be it.

mcvet57103
05-02-09, 12:47 PM
Yes that would be it.And he earned it. :thumbup: SF

CplHawk
05-02-09, 12:50 PM
And he earned it. :thumbup: SF
Agreed. If no one else objects, Accord, would you mind posting your citation on here when you get it?

Sgt Jim
05-02-09, 12:52 PM
Accord you are a Marine, nuf said

MrRobert
05-02-09, 06:16 PM
Wow, amazing story. Good job.

Zulu 36
05-02-09, 06:49 PM
Good job Accord! A NAM sounds right for that work. What a mess that scene sounded like. That would tax a urban EMS/fire department system, never mind a volunteer system even with a few good men to help (slight pun intended).

semperfiman
05-02-09, 07:07 PM
outstanding the Right Marines at the right place at the right time you make us all look good Semper FI Brother

Accord
05-09-09, 02:42 PM
My CO talked to the chief of the county EMS the other day and now he wants to put me in for a NAVYCOMM instead of a NAM. Never thought i'd do something worthy of a NAVYCOMM while CONUS. Crazy...

mcvet57103
05-09-09, 03:29 PM
My CO talked to the chief of the county EMS the other day and now he wants to put me in for a NAVYCOMM instead of a NAM. Never thought i'd do something worthy of a NAVYCOMM while CONUS. Crazy...Accord, Shut your suck, accept that you saved some lives, and deal with it. LOL You deserve any award you get. Most would have driven buy and called the authorities. You took responsibility and handled the situation like a true Marine. SF

SgtThrasher
05-09-09, 05:23 PM
A job well done and another example of the meaning of Semper Fidelis! :flag:

Namster
05-09-09, 05:25 PM
Kudos. :thumbup:

Wouldn't expect anything less. Pass on your training to others.

Don't get caught up in the medals. Waste of time to dwell on it.

1stRad2671
05-09-09, 08:41 PM
No way that's NAM material. I've seen Marines do far less for a NAM. Definitely NavyComm.

Hell, that would be a Bronze Star in the Army.:D

Pengy6531
05-10-09, 08:50 AM
Out****standing Marine!

And maybe more like a Silver Star in the Army, if the Army cared. I know a Warrent Officer in the Army that got a Bronze Star for a desk job lol.

mcvet57103
05-10-09, 03:58 PM
Out****standing Marine!

And maybe more like a Silver Star in the Army, if the Army cared. I know a Warrent Officer in the Army that got a Bronze Star for a desk job lol.Careful Pengy. My step-son ( Google SSgt Craig Showers) who everyone who has been here a while knows, earned his medals. Maybe some skate and get rewarded, but to throw them all into one pot is wrong. I am not defending the Army, but when anyone minimizes my step-son's sacrifice I get a little defensive. SF

Pengy6531
05-10-09, 04:09 PM
I'm not trying to take away from those that have earned them. I know its not an easy thing to do, and I don't know if I could ever earn one.
Part of my statement was geared to the Army. I've seen too many things I disagree with and I think it's left a bitter taste behind. The above mentioned is a great Warrant Officer, how ever, I personally think that a Bronze Star is a bit much, when he did sit behind a desk the whole time. I'm not saying his work wasn't deserving of recognition at all. But I just think that its messed up for someone to get an award like that from behind a desk.
Again, my apologies for the statement, was not intended to minimizes anyone's sacrifices. I just get frustrated at how the Army runs things, and people who I think should deserve more than they get, get crapped on by someone else, and I get told to STFU about it when I bring up my points.

Zulu 36
05-10-09, 04:52 PM
I'm not trying to take away from those that have earned them. I know its not an easy thing to do, and I don't know if I could ever earn one.
Part of my statement was geared to the Army. I've seen too many things I disagree with and I think it's left a bitter taste behind. The above mentioned is a great Warrant Officer, how ever, I personally think that a Bronze Star is a bit much, when he did sit behind a desk the whole time. I'm not saying his work wasn't deserving of recognition at all. But I just think that its messed up for someone to get an award like that from behind a desk.
Again, my apologies for the statement, was not intended to minimizes anyone's sacrifices. I just get frustrated at how the Army runs things, and people who I think should deserve more than they get, get crapped on by someone else, and I get told to STFU about it when I bring up my points.

Remember, Bronze Stars can be awarded for meritorious conduct in a combat zone, not just valor. That's why they have the "V" device to differentiate between meritorious conduct and valorous conduct. After all, one can get NAMs and NavComms for valor in a combat zone and wear a "V" device, yet still earn either stateside for meritorious conduct. I've known Marines who have Bronze Stars for meritorious conduct.

Technically, that is what Accord would get a NAM or NavComm for - meritorious conduct. If life-endangering valor was involved, such as making a rescue from a burning car before rendering medical care, then the Navy-Marine Corps Medal would be more appropriate.

I knew two Marines who did just that, rescuing a mom and child from an exploding car on I-5 near Camp Pendleton - while wearing Dress Blues.

Oddly, they were wearing Charlies when they were pinned. :p Go figure.

mcvet57103
05-10-09, 05:40 PM
Point being, that no matter the branch, although I tend to favor the Marines for some reason. Most earn their medals. Some use their position, and rank to aquire the medals, but in their minds, and soles they know that they did not earn the award, and eventially it will come back to haunt them if they have any honor in their soles that is. SF

DocGreek
05-10-09, 06:14 PM
What is all this FVCKING talk about what MEDAL he "SHOULD" get??? BULLSH!T!!!! Bump him up a rank, give him a pat on the back, and a big "ATTABOY!!".......THAT'S ENOUGH OF THIS CRAP!!!....HEII...I'll send him one of MINE!!.....DOC

Cash2053
05-10-09, 07:50 PM
You might want to think about being a paramedic or emt if you do not stay in the Marine Corps. It seems like its a natural thing to you.

OLE SARG
05-10-09, 07:52 PM
Good job Accord!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you are appropriately recognized for your actions.

SEMPER FI,

Namster
05-10-09, 07:56 PM
What is all this FVCKING talk about what MEDAL he "SHOULD" get??? BULLSH!T!!!! Bump him up a rank, give him a pat on the back, and a big "ATTABOY!!".......THAT'S ENOUGH OF THIS CRAP!!!....HEII...I'll send him one of MINE!!.....DOC

Amen, Doc.

I'll drink a beer to salute your deeds.

A job well done, but all this medal talk smacks.:thumbdown

TTX
05-10-09, 09:41 PM
My CO talked to the chief of the county EMS the other day and now he wants to put me in for a NAVYCOMM instead of a NAM. Never thought i'd do something worthy of a NAVYCOMM while CONUS. Crazy...

Good job Accord! you deserve them both.

Auneboy
05-10-09, 10:53 PM
Helluva job Marine.

Fvck the medals, just have one of them old boys you helped buy you a beer when the get better