PDA

View Full Version : Need Input from Other Marines

CplHawk
04-27-09, 05:29 PM
Hello Marines! I am coming up to the end of my first enlistment, and I'm looking to do a LAT move when I re-enlist. I'm not going to ask the stupid question of "which MOS is the best," as I know from experience that every Marine will tell you a different one. What I'm looking for is Marines of different MOS's to give any input they may have on their specific MOS; what their deployments are like, the fellowship experienced, what a typical day may be like (if your MOS has such a thing), and what they like best about the MOS. I've checked more websites than I can list looking for information, but I feel the best information I can get is from the Marines doing the job. I appreciate any input.

Semper Fi!

-Hawk

Katzman
04-27-09, 07:46 PM
Well I can tell it like it is for a Corporal in 2nd Radio Bn. Boring, we sit around and do nothing a lot. As an NCO, most of the time you won't be able to take charge of much because there isn't much...

Wyoming
04-27-09, 08:56 PM
Drill Instructor or Embassy Duty.

Oh yeah, Swing with the Wing!!

CplHawk
04-27-09, 09:02 PM
Drill Instructor or Embassy Duty.

While I'd love to do either one of those, I'm not able to ATM. I can't be a Drill Instructor because I'm only a Corporal, and for Embassy Duty I would not be able to bring my spouse along with me (as far as I've been told) unless I were a SNCO. I'm in Afghanistan right now for a year; I don't think my wife could bear it if I were to come back after a year only to say "Well, I'm off for MSG duty, see ya later!":(

Big Jim
04-27-09, 10:43 PM
Hello Marines! I am coming up to the end of my first enlistment, and I'm looking to do a LAT move when I re-enlist. I'm not going to ask the stupid question of "which MOS is the best," as I know from experience that every Marine will tell you a different one. What I'm looking for is Marines of different MOS's to give any input they may have on their specific MOS; what their deployments are like, the fellowship experienced, what a typical day may be like (if your MOS has such a thing), and what they like best about the MOS. I've checked more websites than I can list looking for information, but I feel the best information I can get is from the Marines doing the job. I appreciate any input.

Semper Fi!

-Hawk

There are plenty of MOS's you can move to that don;t require you to be a Sergeant. Ever think of a "b" billet.....? Like a Primary Marskmanship Instructor? Or something like that? It requires school but its very rewarding duty...and you learn a thing or two about shooting....LOL....

Wyoming
04-28-09, 12:12 AM
Aren't you picking up E-5 as a re-enlistment goodie?

GSEMarine94
04-28-09, 07:42 AM
What exactly are you attempting to do? Are you trying to learn an occupation that will transfer to the civilian world or an MOS that will be fun for the next 20 years?
I see you are already at New River so I assume you are in the wing, what MOS do you have and why do you want to get out of it?
A little more info about you will help us.

CplHawk
04-28-09, 10:14 AM
Big Jim, at the risk out sounding young and naive I'll just say it; I never even considered any other B-billet other than Drill Instructor, Recruiter, or MSG. I've always been told that these three are the only B-billets. Along with PMI, what else is out there?

BigAl, from what my Career Planner has told me no, I will not be getting E-5 just for re-enlisting, though I am hoping to pick it up sometime before October.

GSEMarine, I'm just looking for something new that I might enjoy; I am planning on spending at least the next 16 years in the Corps. My MOS right now is 6124 (though I am currently running our unit's JOAP lab for deployment). I want to get out of the air wing for a couple reasons: First reason is that I'm kind of bored with the job and ready for something new. Second is that there's too much BS to deal with (I know that every MOS will have it's share of BS but at least for a while it will be something new). The third reason is just the way Marines are being treated; as a LCpl I was treated like a PFC, and when I became a Cpl I was treated like a LCpl. The biggest reason is the first though, just bored after 4 (almost 5) years of the same job. I'm sure I'll get bored with the next job but I'd like to try more things while I'm still young.

GSEMarine94
04-28-09, 10:41 AM
Seeing that you want out of the wing and I was a winger I really can't suggest anything other then pick a MOS you will enjoy. If you like what you are doing it is easier to ignore the BS.

Semper Fi and good luck

USMC Mukhabarat
04-28-09, 10:43 AM
Cpl Hawk -

If you meet the minimum requirements (110 GT, eligibility for TS/SCI clearance, US Citizen, 21 years of age, etc) you may be eligible for lat-move into the 0211 Counterintelligence MOS.

If you would like additional information about the MOS you can contact an 0211 recruiter at 703-432-8513.

Here is a brief synopsis of what the job entails: www.mfp.usmc.mil/CI%20FLYER-NEW.doc (http://www.mfp.usmc.mil/CI%20FLYER-NEW.doc)

Wyoming
04-28-09, 11:00 AM
Look at the profiles of a bunch of the E-8 and E-9's.

They, for the most part, all were DI's.

Suck it up and give it a shot.

You want to remain in for 20, at least your family will have you around for the next 2 or 3 years, whether is be PI or SD.

thewookie
04-28-09, 11:00 AM
I had a BLAST in my five years with Security Force Battalion - I will never regret that - nine schools I went to with a set of jump wings thrown in, four separate MOS's earned (8152, 9962, 8531, 8541) I lived in Greece for a year in an apartment with marble floors overlooking a nude beach on the Mediterranean, I also travelled a lot to places like Italy, Spain and England. Cross-trained with the Royal Marine Commandos - here and overseas.

Not a bad way to go as an NCO,,, with or without the ole lady.

Or go DI and make Marines.....

MLMonk
04-28-09, 11:31 PM
Think the B-Billet the other Marines are missing would be a Combat Instructor at MCT. There were 3 Corporals in Fox Co east side as instructors. Other then that I wouldn't be able to tell you, Cpl.

PhotoDog
05-03-09, 01:17 PM
Well I to through in my MOS I Love and will always Recommend COMBAT CAMERA Field 4600 field! I mean you get to do everything For deployments you will need to become a 4641 Combat Still Photographer or 4671 Videographer. To get this Mos you need a GT of 110.

I love the Job you might have a non grunt job yet at the same time you go out and do all the **** with the grunts (if you are a good to go Marine). On base I have hooked up with the snipers took there photos and in exchange shot the 50 cal. I became an Honorary AAV when I helped Dig out the AAV stuck in the Swamps. I mean as a ComCam Marine you are very social around the base with all lvls and fields.

As for deployments you will be phapped to a grunt unit and you will proceed with them I cant Say its OFP but as an NCO and if you have a good coc you will be pretty freelance as long as you dont become a liability.

The huge problem to this is the Pick up rate blows BUT since you are already a CPl ready to get Sgt the pick up rate wont be too bad.

A normal day on base involves (also this differs with station) but taking promotion and command board photos. Filming or shooting trianing exercises and or change of commands. You get hooked up with a lot of cool experiences and its also a great skill to have once you decide to get out.

(as you are married you know how expensive wedding photographers are...but if you get a camera you can do it on the side...great way to make a living.)

hope that helped if you have any questions hit me up

S/F

Gunner 0313
05-03-09, 02:17 PM
:flag:PMI. That would be an outstanding job IMO.

jetdawgg
05-03-09, 02:18 PM
2nd Radbn has changed quite a bit. I was always deployed (2651):usmc: