PDA

View Full Version : Best Advice for Poolee's, don't quit...!

Siggs
04-27-09, 01:55 PM
Hey Poolee's,
I just graduated from recruit training 20090424 and I just had a quick word of advice to give to future recruits. This was definitely the hardest challenge I have gone through in my life, and there was plenty of times I wanted to quit and join the army instead. But once you have gotten used to it and realized why you are there, it becomes easier to deal with because you become motivated and determined to earn that EGA. I fractured my fibula really bad during rifle week and didn't find out till 2 days before the crucible. Lucky enough I got to go on the crucible and I managed to get through it even though it was very very tough. I have never been so proud of myself for becoming a US Marine. I wouldn't trade the title for anything in the world! Now even though I got to go back to Parris Island because I'm a grad hold for my leg (will be going into BMP), I still will stay motivated and get better so I can go to MCT and get the job done. I wish you poolee's and future recruits the best of luck, and remember with motivation, determination, and the right mindset, you can accomplish anything you want!

-Pvt Siggins

Army MP
04-28-09, 06:31 PM
Hey Poolee's,
I just graduated from recruit training 20090424 and I just had a quick word of advice to give to future recruits. This was definitely the hardest challenge I have gone through in my life, and there was plenty of times I wanted to quit and join the army instead. But once you have gotten used to it and realized why you are there, it becomes easier to deal with because you become motivated and determined to earn that EGA. I fractured my fibula really bad during rifle week and didn't find out till 2 days before the crucible. Lucky enough I got to go on the crucible and I managed to get through it even though it was very very tough. I have never been so proud of myself for becoming a US Marine. I wouldn't trade the title for anything in the world! Now even though I got to go back to Parris Island because I'm a grad hold for my leg (will be going into BMP), I still will stay motivated and get better so I can go to MCT and get the job done. I wish you poolee's and future recruits the best of luck, and remember with motivation, determination, and the right mindset, you can accomplish anything you want!

-Pvt Siggins

I keep hearing Marines on the forums saying Marine Corps Boot Camp is getting soft nowadays...... is this true?

Tell us how things are, and tell some stories Marine. I would love to hear them.

Siggs
04-29-09, 02:07 AM
I keep hearing Marines on the forums saying Marine Corps Boot Camp is getting soft nowadays...... is this true?

Tell us how things are, and tell some stories Marine. I would love to hear them.

Marine Corp recruit training is in no way shape or form soft. The people who say that are either former Marines who went through recruit training when it was tougher, or civi's who have never done it before. Its a very tough and challenging 3 months, and you will never be treated softly at all. Here's one story, our chow hall was a 2 minute walk from our squad bay, and one afternoon we were jacking up drill, instead of a 5 minute march to the chow hall, it turned into an hour and a half run, we would run back and fourth and if one person started to walk we had to sprint. This happens all the time during recruit training, if one person in your platoon wants to slack off all the time, expect stuff like this on a regular basis. Now if you consider that soft then you must be crazy!

Army MP
04-29-09, 06:41 PM
Marine Corp recruit training is in no way shape or form soft. The people who say that are either former Marines who went through recruit training when it was tougher, or civi's who have never done it before. Its a very tough and challenging 3 months, and you will never be treated softly at all. Here's one story, our chow hall was a 2 minute walk from our squad bay, and one afternoon we were jacking up drill, instead of a 5 minute march to the chow hall, it turned into an hour and a half run, we would run back and fourth and if one person started to walk we had to sprint. This happens all the time during recruit training, if one person in your platoon wants to slack off all the time, expect stuff like this on a regular basis. Now if you consider that soft then you must be crazy!

Thanks for clearing that up Marine. How much weight did you lose or gain? What was the biggest weight loss in the company? I went from 210 to 164 (Army Basic Training). Back at 210 now hahaha (5 1/2 years later).

Siggs
04-29-09, 06:55 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Marine. How much weight did you lose or gain? What was the biggest weight loss in the company? I went from 210 to 164 (Army Basic Training). Back at 210 now hahaha (5 1/2 years later).
I gained 15 Ib's during recruit training (135 to 150). The biggest weight loss of the company that I knew was a recruit who went from 210 to 158 (52 Ib weight loss), quite amazing!

Army MP
04-29-09, 06:57 PM
Also another question I had, is the Boot Camp now 12 weeks long instead of 13? On the Marines.com website it says 12 that's why I ask.

jacobkilgore
04-29-09, 07:03 PM
Also another question I had, is the Boot Camp now 12 weeks long instead of 13? On the Marines.com website it says 12 that's why I ask.

I see that two...
http://www.marines.com/main/index/p/the_ultimate_challenge/making_marines/recruit_training/12_weeks_module

Jacob

Siggs
04-30-09, 02:43 PM
The reason why it says 12 weeks on the website because after the 12th week you're a Marine. There is still 13 weeks of training though.

SGT VAS
04-30-09, 02:52 PM
Army MP - Instead of asking a million ****** questions that you can simply find the answers to by manning up and enlisting, why don't you congratulate the Marine on his accomplishment.

Welcome to the club young Marine!:flag:

Rocky C
04-30-09, 04:27 PM
Army MP - Instead of asking a million ****** questions that you can simply find the answers to by manning up and enlisting, why don't you congratulate the Marine on his accomplishment.

I was just thinking that also !!!
Job well done Siggs, :thumbup:
Semper Fi My Brother,

Rocky

Army MP
04-30-09, 08:12 PM

I would but my MSO is not up until 2010. Just wanted to get some information out of a Marine fresh out of Boot Camp.

Congratulations Marine :thumbup:

Gunner614
04-30-09, 09:49 PM

The first week and some change is recieving and forming, the next 12 weeks are training days.

Zues
05-01-09, 05:07 AM
I gained 15 Ib's during recruit training (135 to 150). The biggest weight loss of the company that I knew was a recruit who went from 210 to 158 (52 Ib weight loss), quite amazing!

how tall are you? i weigh 135 and am 6' and have always had a problem gaining weight :/ hopefully boot will put on some mass

JWDevilDog
05-01-09, 11:46 AM
Here's one story, our chow hall was a 2 minute walk from our squad bay,

You were clearly 1st RTBN. Oohrah, Marine. Stay motivated and keep working hard. Congratulations!

ameriken
05-01-09, 12:18 PM
how tall are you? i weigh 135 and am 6' and have always had a problem gaining weight :/ hopefully boot will put on some mass
Sounds like a problem I had 30+ years ago. When I got to boot camp at age 17, I was 6'4" 170 lbs and my goal was to get to 200 lbs. I gained about 10 in boot camp in muscle mass, and about a year later got myself to 202 when I was on Okinawa. Today, I'd love to be 202, but that would require a loss of about 30 or 40 lbs!!

Hang in there, it'll come to you. Boot camp may put a few pounds on you, but in about 15 or 20 years you may be wondering how to drop 30 pounds or so too!

Good luck!!! :usmc:

ameriken
05-01-09, 12:20 PM
Congratulations Siggs......you had the right attitude and made it! Welcome to The Few!! SF Marine.....:iwo:

sscjoe
05-01-09, 01:22 PM
Army MP, as a former Marine MP who has worked with Army Garrison MP's, as a civilian, the difference is night and day. Come 2010 if you want to continue your military career dump the Army of one and join the brotherhood.
Way to go Siggs. Welcome Aboard Marine

Siggs
05-01-09, 04:31 PM
I'm 6', and had problems gaining weight before boot also, now I think I'm good, just eat healthy and work out and its easy to put on pounds...

And thanks Marines for the welcome! :thumbup::flag:

Convulsive
05-08-09, 01:48 AM
I hear this a lot "just stay motivated and never quit" and I honestly think its the best advice anyone can give. I've read up on Boot Camp so much and it's impossible to get a good understanding on what its going to be like until you go through it and see how you're going to react. Congrats on graduating Marine! Hope to join you as one of the elites someday! Another piece of advice that I was told was "No matter what you do, how well you perform, or how loud you get, you will never get the DIs off your back. The sooner you realize that the better off you'll be and it will make your stay a little easier."

RyanFling
06-22-09, 11:16 PM
Some of the best advice I ever got was from a Marine on RA. He told us about how his buddy was doing the swim qual and was ready to give up and reached out for the wall. The DI push his hand away from the wall and said, "3... 2... 1..." and he passed. But he told us when we are about to quit to just think, "I'm 3 seconds away. Just 3 more seconds." And keep saying that in your head over and over and over and pretty soon you're done!
Congratulations, Marine, on becoming a member of the brotherhood. I can't wait to join you.

mdoorah
06-23-09, 02:21 AM
congrats make us all proud,:thumbup:

thank you also for the advice, I will be going to boot camp here in a couple of weeks 200900713.

Thank you once again,

Sincerely,
Poolee Frongillo

killbodies3027
07-10-09, 03:47 PM

Like a spittin image of me. After you pick up with your actual DI's, they'll have you all stand on line infront of your racks with your shirts off to determine the fatbodies and who needs to be issued double rations. I didn't realize it at the time, but being a double rat is the sweetest damn thing about boot camp. You literally get twice as much food as everyone else. Everyone will be begging you to borrow your double rat tag so they can get extra food too. I forced myself to eat as much food as possible, even then I was still starving at night.

I came into boot camp at 135lbs, left at 175 lbs, ripped as hell too.

thewookie
07-10-09, 04:32 PM
I came into boot camp at 135lbs, left at 175 lbs, ripped as hell too.

Impossible. I gotta call that.

SgtLisdog58
07-15-09, 09:41 PM
Impossible. I gotta call that.

I second that motion. First off it's not about the double rats cause many of my buddies were DRs and they came out the same weight if not less. I myself was in pretty good shape when I went in and lost 15 lbs (15 lbs I couldn't afford to lose either)

Also, double rats is cool and all but you still only get the same amount of time to eat your food.....if chow is cut short, guess what, you don't get more time. Most of the DRs I knew in boot camp barley finished more than anyone else.

RayNoll
07-18-09, 06:29 AM
The DIs keep you motivated during runs and exercises, right?

atimmons
07-31-09, 05:36 AM
The DIs keep you motivated during runs and exercises, right?

Ha you bet. Lookin forward to it!

Cressler
08-11-09, 02:27 AM
You finishing boot with a broken bone is just amazing that will definetly keep me motivated if someone that is physicaly in the literal sense broken can complete i will be able to also

moto83
08-11-09, 08:26 AM
Lol trust me, whether it's softer or not doesn't matter. You're still a United States Marine in the end. That means a lot and you will find that out if you ever get the chance to work with the Navy and you probably will at some point. I got out of boot 20080424 and I'm now stationed a few miles away at the Air Station. I have been on a carrier with about 3000 Navy and 150 of us. The reaction to us is quite different between sailors. Either they love us and want to be like us, or they hate us out of jealousy because their command tells them to be more like us. We do drills all day with them and from what I learned in boot and MCT I am able to immediately respond to situations 100 percent faster and more thorough than sailors as was proven and brought up by their Senior Chief. He specifically mentioned myself and two other Marines that taught a group of his sailors how to respond to a specific medical emergency both perfectly and with almost no time to react. Boot camp is in no way simple or "soft." It is flawless in creating the proper combat mindset in the right individual.

ZombieWolf
08-12-09, 11:10 AM
Congratulations! :thumbup: I'll see you on the flip side!

EricB146
08-21-09, 12:52 PM
"Keep Motivated and never quit" best advice anyone could give a Poolee. I cant wait to ship. I got to wait a year to ship since Im still in High School

lakewoodpoolee
03-22-10, 11:36 PM
im a poolee who is 5' 8' 142 lbs.
im wondering if i would die in pugil stick training
IST SCORES:
20 pullups
108 Crunches
10:00 1.5 mi

DevilDoc5
05-18-10, 02:48 AM
Lol trust me, whether it's softer or not doesn't matter. You're still a United States Marine in the end. That means a lot and you will find that out if you ever get the chance to work with the Navy and you probably will at some point. I got out of boot 20080424 and I'm now stationed a few miles away at the Air Station. I have been on a carrier with about 3000 Navy and 150 of us. The reaction to us is quite different between sailors. Either they love us and want to be like us, or they hate us out of jealousy because their command tells them to be more like us. We do drills all day with them and from what I learned in boot and MCT I am able to immediately respond to situations 100 percent faster and more thorough than sailors as was proven and brought up by their Senior Chief. He specifically mentioned myself and two other Marines that taught a group of his sailors how to respond to a specific medical emergency both perfectly and with almost no time to react. Boot camp is in no way simple or "soft." It is flawless in creating the proper combat mindset in the right individual.

This comment right here while likely true when it comes to the POGs on board a ship serving in the "real" Navy. EXTREMELY bothers those of us "slow, dumb Sailors" who are beside our Marines everyday through thick and thin. Just cause the POGs are slow and dumb does NOT make all Navy guys slow and dumb...

Remember even one of us "slow, dumb Sailors" helped the Marines lift that flag over Iwo... Obviously not too slow or dumb...

randyfl
08-24-10, 03:07 PM
Hey Marines , How often do you run on boot camp ?

Laurens
08-24-10, 06:56 PM
Funny..

How recruits these days can gather a HUGE amount of information
while Marines who fought in WWII, Vietnam or the Gulf War just did it
because they wanted to and didn't know what to expect..

I wish I could be in that position, not knowing what's to come, the more information you have, the harder it will be (in my opinion). Congrats Marine!

Laurens
08-24-10, 06:58 PM

Maybe this helps you..

http://futurejarheads.webs.com/

athy
08-25-10, 02:42 AM

You run every where, you mess up in drill... you run back and do it all over. Returning from making a head call, you run back

Backhaus 1103
09-16-10, 11:45 AM

Your boot a*s is god damn retarded. No way in hell is a Marine out of boot camp even close to being the same as a Navy Corpsman. I'll take my squads Corpsman on patrol any day over most Marines because I know he knows not only his job, and is damn good at it, but that of a rifleman too.
" It is flawless in creating the proper combat mindset in the right individual." LOL how the fu*k would you know that? Your boot a*s has never been in combat. Boot camp is retard and teaches nothing but drill and how to get hazed so you are prepared for it in the fleet when you will get hazed. I didn't use a god damn thing from boot camp on deployment.

Chris81shick
10-25-10, 09:59 PM
I grad 20101015 something I learned do not say Oohray or Semper Fi down there you will get messed up

ImpatientPoolee
12-11-10, 01:50 PM
This comment right here while likely true when it comes to the POGs on board a ship serving in the "real" Navy. EXTREMELY bothers those of us "slow, dumb Sailors" who are beside our Marines everyday through thick and thin. Just cause the POGs are slow and dumb does NOT make all Navy guys slow and dumb...

Remember even one of us "slow, dumb Sailors" helped the Marines lift that flag over Iwo... Obviously not too slow or dumb...

Amen, a DevilDoc too if I remember correctly? Well I'm not a Marine, but God Bless the Navy too, the Marine Corps wouldn't BE here without the Navy's assisstance in any and everyway.

Btw, thank you so much for the advice Marines.

IHaveEGA843
12-14-10, 07:14 PM
Some good info a couple Marines at my job gave me was, "Recruit training is not set up for anybody to fail. If anything they want you to go through and earn your title. Alot of guys go through messing up but you know what they show that they have the heart to push through and they graduated with me. You go in and give it all you have, dont worry if you cant run the 3 miles or you cant even run 2. When you leave you'll be able to run 3 or even 5 but remember this.....always put out and never give in. Yeah the DIs may talk trash to you but thats to help motivate you to push out more but in the back of their heads they see you giving it your all. Thats what the Corps is about, giving it your all at all times regardless of situations that maybe jacked to all hell but getting the job done."

This coming from a guy who said he went in at 29 and graduated when he was 30. They call him "Moto" and he still lives the Corps everyday from the high and tight cut to power walking to go get tools. He trained me 1 day showing me various pt they did during basic and I wont lie....I was dead tired and super sore but you know what he told me? You'll be good to go bro, the way I seen you push through your own comfort zone and go on shows me you have what it takes to become a Marine.

I'm lucky enough to work near Marines and even talk to active Marines at times. They all speak the same lango of RT.

Kingniceslice
07-14-11, 12:26 AM
CONGRATULATIONS MARINE! A short but about myself that should also serve as my question. I have been to a few of my first pool pt sessions and have been in the b**** circle lagging behind a little (haven't puked yet) and I am just hoping that, with repetition and dedication I will stop feeling like dying and perform like some of the others who seem to be thriving pretty well. Just tell me the body adapts to this punishment so that I can improve my stats.
6'2" 230lbs 26 yrs old
IST: Pull ups: 6
Crunches: 52 (2 min)
1.5 mile run: 12:45

goingtousmc
07-15-11, 03:42 AM
CONGRATULATIONS MARINE! A short but about myself that should also serve as my question. I have been to a few of my first pool pt sessions and have been in the b**** circle lagging behind a little (haven't puked yet) and I am just hoping that, with repetition and dedication I will stop feeling like dying and perform like some of the others who seem to be thriving pretty well. Just tell me the body adapts to this punishment so that I can improve my stats.
6'2" 230lbs 26 yrs old
IST: Pull ups: 6
Crunches: 52 (2 min)
1.5 mile run: 12:45

:banana:First and foremost I am not a Marine, I am in the DEP and ship out in less than 2 weeks. Just incase you havent checked my profile( which you should because i have learned from reading posts by fakes and big time wanna be's ) ANYWAY... i am female! So my IST standards are somewhat differnt than that of my male counterparts. As far as I can tell, you have a passing IST so you should be good to go and be proud of what you've done. My 1st ISTwas horrific!\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
1.5 mile run was 18:whatever
Crunches 8 yes 08
Flexed arm hang: couldnt stay above the bar @ all
I had a dedicated RSS that sent multiple recruiters my way to do PT with me on MANY occasions and now
1.5 mile run 14:37
Crunches 102
Flexed arm hang 49 sec
I can tell you from experience that its all really in your head. I am sure you have heard this many times but for real... my RSS Staff Sergeant likes to say " your body will achieve what you mind concieves" and its true. I want to be a US Marine more than anything I've ever wanted so I busted butt, dealt with the pain and now will have my chance to earn the title in 9 days. Just keep your head up and stay focused, pushing your limits EVERY day. Don't compare yourself to the other poolees either, as your profile states, you are quit older than your fellow poolees. Comparing yourself to others isn't nearly as important as acheiving your own goals. Go get what you want!!
Best of Wishes !
-Poolee Blessard (W.V)
Hope this was somewhat helpful

Kingniceslice
08-13-11, 08:36 PM
Any advice on how to "start running and keep running"? It seems the obvious answer is to just do it but how often should I be running in preparation for Parris Island? I am sure most people would answer, "every day" but I have also heard that coming from not running but once a week, that can be bad for your body. Any tips on how to eat before running either? Thanks so much for any advice and congratulations on earning The Title (even if my congratulations is a little late). Semper Fidelis!