PDA

View Full Version : MCMAP, Gray belt

Carc138
04-26-09, 02:51 PM
Hi,
At my unit we have no one who is a green belt instructor, therefore I cant get my gray belt and move on unless I find someone who is willing to train me out side of my unit.
If anyone lives in MASS and would be willing to help me out that would be great. Thanks

PFC Ciano

MLMonk
04-26-09, 08:35 PM
Brown and Black belt instructors can train you too, or have you already looked into that too?

echo3oscar1833
04-26-09, 10:37 PM
so what is the standard qualification nowadays for the MCMAP belts. When I was in you only had to qualify a minimum of a tan belt that was from 2001-2003. I got mine in boot camp. I think we did like one refresher course the whole time after that in the fleet. Just was curious.

DocGreek
04-26-09, 11:04 PM
Belt's are nice, BUT...what DEGREE?? AND....in what discipline?? Any confirmed kills, combat, or otherwise? Shinto, or Buddhist? "WE", were not trained in M.A. for sport. Kill punches, chops, and kicks were highly stressed.......DOC

Alisium
04-26-09, 11:10 PM
Belt's are nice, BUT...what DEGREE?? AND....in what discipline?? Any confirmed kills, combat, or otherwise? Shinto, or Buddhist? "WE", were not trained in M.A. for sport. Kill punches, chops, and kicks were highly stressed.......DOC

MCMAP is a combo of everything from Judo to Krav Maga. There's no one single discipline it's based on.

And there're aren't degrees on the belts just the belts themselves.

DocGreek
04-26-09, 11:11 PM
Thank-you!...doc

Alisium
04-26-09, 11:20 PM
Anything for a Corpsman.

And a fellow Greek!

lol

HurricaneRJ
04-27-09, 12:40 AM
so what is the standard qualification nowadays for the MCMAP belts. When I was in you only had to qualify a minimum of a tan belt that was from 2001-2003. I got mine in boot camp. I think we did like one refresher course the whole time after that in the fleet. Just was curious.
Well from what I've seen in my unit it's that now every 03Grunt has to be a green belt before they deploy. By a MARADMIN that came out not too long ago, but somehow my Co. ****ed that up and I'm still a tan belt.

Also I heard that to be a Sgt. You have to be a Green Belt, and once at the SNCO level must attain a brown belt. I personally like the concept as for the warriors aspect of being a Marine even while your high up in the ranks.

As far as MCMAP, I think it's okay but the way they teach it in the fleet is gay. MCMAP get's boring by repeating the same **** over and over.

Alisium
04-27-09, 12:44 AM
Well from what I've seen in my unit it's that now every 03Grunt has to be a green belt before they deploy. By a MARADMIN that came out not too long ago, but somehow my Co. ****ed that up and I'm still a tan belt.

Also I heard that to be a Sgt. You have to be a Green Belt, and once at the SNCO level must attain a brown belt. I personally like the concept as for the warriors aspect of being a Marine even while your high up in the ranks.

As far as MCMAP, I think it's okay but the way they teach it in the fleet is gay. MCMAP get's boring by repeating the same **** over and over.

Boring works though. That muscle memory helps a lot. I actually started out with LINE training in 1996 when I first came in and for the first couple of years that's what we had. 13 years later it still comes natural. MCMAP is the same way for me.

Wax on, wax off little bro.

MintusMaximus
09-29-09, 04:32 AM
Eh the problems I see is just a lack of 'fighting' or martial arts experience from lower level instructors. Namely green belt instrutors who have never done any martial arts and try to teach by ' the book'.

I've done trainign up to brown belt and I'd have to say that brown has been the best so far. The techniques are mostly practical, but to put it in perspective. Half the moves in the brown belt syllabus are a mirror of set 1 for american Judo... and that's white belt level.

GREY MATTER
09-29-09, 04:48 AM
Boring works though. That muscle memory helps a lot. I actually started out with LINE training in 1996 when I first came in and for the first couple of years that's what we had. 13 years later it still comes natural. MCMAP is the same way for me.

Wax on, wax off little bro.

feet apart, hands up, elbows in...basic warrior stane AYE Sir!....

I made a mockery of our line training instructor in MCT. i was with my partner and i kept countering everything they were teaching us, so the instructor pulled me in the middle of a school circle to prove to the rest that the guy i was working with was doing it wrong...lets just say he was put on his back 4 times before he got me in a wrist lock and made me tap:D

line training was a joke...and i will find out soon enough if MCMAP is too. im betting that i already know it, its just a matter of finding out. we'll see.

if you dont already know i have been in since 98 and never went through MCMAP because i was forced out after a motorcycle accident in 2004. i got out of the Marines in 2003 and MCMAP still hadn't fully hit the fleet. then went back in 7 months later cause i missed it so much. i had my accident 4 months later....its news to me that it has been around since 2001, we were just hearing about it right when i was getting out on my first enlistment (2003)

Supersquishy
09-29-09, 05:23 AM
How do Reservists get their MCMAP training?

GREY MATTER
09-29-09, 05:28 AM
How do Reservists get their MCMAP training?

we are having classes just like active duty does