PDA

View Full Version : HILLSBOROUGH: U.S. flag flown in Iraq to wave in Hillsborough

thedrifter
04-26-09, 06:56 AM
HILLSBOROUGH: U.S. flag flown in Iraq to wave in Hillsborough
Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:42 AM EDT
By Eileen Oldfield, Staff Writer

For troops stationed overseas, flying an American flag to recognize supporters back home is a common practice — and it’s something Capt. Tim Jordan, a Hillsborough resident in the Navy Reserves, did while stationed at Al Asad airbase in Iraq, to honor the Board of Education.

”I get a lot of thanks from people for what I do,” Capt. Jordan said as he presented the flag, which was flown on Dec. 7, to the board March 30. “I want to thank you for what you do.”

It’s not the first time Capt. Jordan’s flown a flag recognizing the support he’s received from home. During his most recent tour — which stationed him at Al Asad for five months before a transfer to Afghanistan — he flew a flag recognizing his son’s self-contained Special Education class at Hillsborough High School. He donated that flag to the class teacher, he said.

”It’s common for soldiers and sailors and Marines to have a flag flown for various reasons,” Capt. Jordan said in an interview later. “It’s a way of saying, ‘Thanks for your support,’ when you’re deployed.

”People don’t realize how hard they (the board members) work,” he added. “It’s a volunteer, elected position.”

The soldier, sailor or Marine flying the flag pays for flags flown to honor people from home, and there is no official protocol for flying a flag to recognize someone, Capt. Jordan said. In addition to the flag, the recipient receives a certificate, signed by the unit’s commanding officer, which states when and why the flag was flown.

Board President Neil Hudes thanked Capt. Jordan at the meeting and several board members suggested looking into an appropriate way to display the gift.

Ellie