PDA

View Full Version : Basic Recon Course

Domforce24
04-25-09, 03:14 PM
I making this thread for all the poolees or new Marines out there who have questions about making it through RIP (not called MART anymore) or BRC and want to become recon Marines. When I was a poolee on this site i remember all Marines did was harass poolees when they asked about recon, what it takes and what its like. That annoyed the hell outta me so as a current stud at BRC in phase 2 of training I thought i would enlighten anyone who wants to know about RIP or BRC. Its extremely hard to find out info on recon training until you actually go through it and half the info out there is outdated. So this thread is for asking questions on what requirements you need to get a recon contract from your recruiter, requirements for passing RIP or BRC and what the training consists of. So ask away.

WebbM88
04-25-09, 06:30 PM
How is it going domforce. Im a 2631 elint. I just got out of recruit training on the 17 of april. I was just curious what mos leads to recon and what else you have to do to get in. I know I haven't experienced anything in my field yet and I still do not know much about it. I just cant help but think I might get bored because I like to get out there and run around as opposed to possibly sitting around computers most of the time. I got a 300 pft.. 18 mins, 25 p/u, and 170 s/u. Im just curious how you have been training, and what your schooling consists of. Oh and also how does MCT work? I heard we get to do more fun stuff. Grenades and all. Good luck finishing up with your schooling and Semper Fi! :flag:

JoeInVille
04-26-09, 04:00 AM
I would assume you do MCT, MOS school, then you can go out for the indoc...I thought recon was strictly 03 field but MARSOC is open to all MOS.

Domforce24
04-26-09, 10:54 AM
ok heres how it will work for POG's. If you are in an infantry MOS u will go through ITB and then straight to RIP. However, if you arent infantry you will go through MCT, then your MOS school and then once you are in the fleet you can request to come to recon if you pass the indoc. ANYBODY can go to recon but once you are in the fleet its tough to get permission to do so, especially if your a POG. We have only a few POG's in my platoon but they said they went through hell to get a spot in the school and they are all NCO's. so it may be a while before u get the chance to come here. As far as MARSOC, to get into it you need to become recon FIRST, and they only allow NCO's. MARSOC is for the best of the best for recon so it ain't easy to get into.

As for you Webb, your physical fitness looks good. but this course is mostly about swimming. If your pt is decent, you will do fine, but u gotta know how to swim well and be comfortable in the water. You will have to do 500m swim in under 15 mins, swim underwater 25m, retrieve a rifle from 15ft down and then tread water with it about your head for 5 secs, tread water for 30 mins and jump off a 30 ft tower. All of this is doen in full cammies. Its not hard to do this stuff unless you panic in the water.

as far as training so far, we've done a TON of pool stuff, play with claymores, c4, tnt, land navigation, 5-10 mile ruck runs, rappelling, radio communications, working a lot with knots and a ton of pt. Coming up we got calling in mortar, artillery and cobra strikes, SPIE rigging, patrolling, helo insertions, etc. Then you go to coronado and train on the beach for amphib with the SEALs. The biggest challenge here is patrol week, its 10 days in the field humping over a 20k by 20k area all day and night doing mock raids, patrols and snooping and pooping in the bush. You get 2 MRE's a day and 4 hours of sleep a night for the first 7 days and then the last 3 days of patrol week you don't get to sleep at all and 1 MRE a day. If you fall asleep for one second and an instructor sees you then you get dropped and either have to go through RIP again and start all over or you get sent back to the fleet to be a grunt or POG. so as u can see u can be dropped very easy from this course.

thewookie
04-26-09, 01:09 PM
I making this thread for all the poolees or new Marines out there who have questions about making it through RIP (not called MART anymore) or BRC and want to become recon Marines. When I was a poolee on this site i remember all Marines did was harass poolees when they asked about recon, what it takes and what its like. That annoyed the hell outta me so as a current stud at BRC in phase 2 of training I thought i would enlighten anyone who wants to know about RIP or BRC. Its extremely hard to find out info on recon training until you actually go through it and half the info out there is outdated. So this thread is for asking questions on what requirements you need to get a recon contract from your recruiter, requirements for passing RIP or BRC and what the training consists of. So ask away.

Hey stud, congratulations - but maybe you should wait until you have finished training before you open your soup cooler and step on your crank.

And maybe the reason why some of us jump on the recon wanna bees in the endless threads they post is because the emphasis should be on earning the title.

Just like earning the title of recon Marine - ya might want to earn it first before you dish it.

But congratulations and good luck, stud.

FutureRecon101
04-26-09, 04:55 PM
hey domforce, im a poolee and im contrct UZ, i leave for bootcamp in 22 days, and im just wondering about the recon indoc. right now im at 33 average pullups, 147 sit-ups, and 20:34 3-mile run. i have been swimming, and im good in the water. now i know after bootcamp that im going to go to SOI/MCT, but im wondering if you think that will be enough time to get my swimming stamina back because i dont think we are going to be doing a lot of swimming in bootcamp. I have the heart and the unbreakable drive to make it into recon, i have been wanting this since I was 14. but will that drive be enough even if I find myself falling behind in some way? Are the instructors going to see my efforts and help me, or are they just going to be there to try and weed me out?

slug
04-26-09, 05:10 PM
FR101, read the post just above yours.

Get through Boot first then look at BRC. Can't take things out of order here or in the Corps, it doesn't work that way.

JSam
04-26-09, 08:16 PM
You will have to do 500m swim in under 15 mins, swim underwater 25m, retrieve a rifle from 15ft down and then tread water with it about your head for 5 secs, tread water for 30 mins and jump off a 30 ft tower.

Just one question about the swimming. I have no desire to become recon or S/S unless the opportunity presents itself as the right choice.
But I am curious... Is the 25m underwater straight-through, or a 40ft. swim, underwater turnaround, and then the 40ft. back?

Thanks man, congrats on making it through, and good luck on the rest of your training.

:flag:

WebbM88
04-26-09, 11:09 PM
Good info. Sounds like you are getting to have all sorts of fun Domforce. I'm just interested in the recon stuff because its hard to get info on it and it is always all over the place. As for the water aspect that is one of the factors that draws me to it. I played waterpolo for a few years and did well so I am quite water oriented. Anywho, good luck and keep it up. Thanks again for the info.

JoeInVille
04-27-09, 03:03 AM
Bahhhh recon still supports 0311...w/e. True tip of spear is the normal grunt.

Jensen139
04-27-09, 04:20 PM
What specifically are the requirements for a recon contract? Is this a UZ contract? Are all SOI classes getting a chance at the INDOC?

Drill for life
04-27-09, 06:55 PM
Alright I made a 54 AFQT and I have a 105 GT and I am enlisting on June 1st, 2009 under 03xx. I have a question can I enlist and then after I make it through MCRD and go to SOI can I then do the REcon Indoc even if I didn't have the GT or AFQT for 0321?

Army MP
04-29-09, 08:21 PM
Good post. Good luck to you I hope you make it Marine.

Domforce24
04-29-09, 09:50 PM
Hey stud, congratulations - but maybe you should wait until you have finished training before you open your soup cooler and step on your crank.

And maybe the reason why some of us jump on the recon wanna bees in the endless threads they post is because the emphasis should be on earning the title.

Just like earning the title of recon Marine - ya might want to earn it first before you dish it.

But congratulations and good luck, stud.

I disagree with you there Sgt. They should be focused on earning the title but preparing yourself before becoming a marine to survive RIP is CRUCIAL. I've seen way too many ripsters fail (both boots and nco's from the fleet) because they didn't prepare their bodies before bootcamp. If you go into this course unprepared you WILL FAIL. Also, it is impossible to go through bootcamp and then prepare for this course while your at ITB. You just have no free time to work out and get yourself up to recon standards. So yes I haven't earned the title of recon Marine yet but I've had a lot of success in the course thus far and am very knowledgeable about what it takes to get here and what the training consists of. So I'm trying to help these poolees out in finding out info on the subject without getting ripped apart by older marines for asking about recon when they have the right to inquire about the subject.

thewookie
04-29-09, 09:52 PM
I've seen way too many ripsters fail

:)

have fun

Domforce24
04-29-09, 10:01 PM
hey domforce, im a poolee and im contrct UZ, i leave for bootcamp in 22 days, and im just wondering about the recon indoc. right now im at 33 average pullups, 147 sit-ups, and 20:34 3-mile run. i have been swimming, and im good in the water. now i know after bootcamp that im going to go to SOI/MCT, but im wondering if you think that will be enough time to get my swimming stamina back because i dont think we are going to be doing a lot of swimming in bootcamp. I have the heart and the unbreakable drive to make it into recon, i have been wanting this since I was 14. but will that drive be enough even if I find myself falling behind in some way? Are the instructors going to see my efforts and help me, or are they just going to be there to try and weed me out?

First off, you arent going to MCT, you're going to ITB. To answer your question, no, you won't have time to work on your swimming in ITB. You will be training and working from 0400-2200 and will have zero free time except on the weekends. Which isn't enough to keep your swimming up to par. What I did was train as hard as I could before bootcamp in the pool and just accept that your swimming will degrade a little before you get to RIP. However, have no fear! RIP was created to help highly motivated Marines with their swimming and pt. You will swim everyday in the pool for 4 hours in the morning and then get slayed in the afternoon with pt. You will swim/pt 2 or 3 times a day. You will be so exhausted you won't be able to move by dinner. However, this will get you incredible strong so that when a BRC class picks up you will be more than ready in the pool, ocean w/ fins, ruck runs, etc. As far as the instructors...DI's are totall dicks, ITB combat instructors are almost as bad but recon instructors are awesome. They treat you like men and will joke around with you and give you respect because they realize it takes a special kind of Marine to make it in recon. So they treat you the way you deserve to be treated. Don't worry you will do fine!

Domforce24
04-29-09, 10:07 PM
Just one question about the swimming. I have no desire to become recon or S/S unless the opportunity presents itself as the right choice.
But I am curious... Is the 25m underwater straight-through, or a 40ft. swim, underwater turnaround, and then the 40ft. back?

Thanks man, congrats on making it through, and good luck on the rest of your training.

its 25m straight through in cammies. however, they will train you to do 50m so that when the day of the screening comes, you will do 25m easily...

Domforce24
04-29-09, 10:08 PM
Good info. Sounds like you are getting to have all sorts of fun Domforce. I'm just interested in the recon stuff because its hard to get info on it and it is always all over the place. As for the water aspect that is one of the factors that draws me to it. I played waterpolo for a few years and did well so I am quite water oriented. Anywho, good luck and keep it up. Thanks again for the info.

water polo players and competitive swimmers do great here in the pool. However, many have weak up bodies with things like pullups, pushups, etc. So make sure you can max that stuff out and run like a deer!

Domforce24
04-29-09, 10:11 PM
Bahhhh recon still supports 0311...w/e. True tip of spear is the normal grunt.

Ha! Guess who is sitting in a observation post 2 weeks straight prior to the grunts going in an kicking ass? That would be recon reconnoitering the enemy and giving your commanders intel on your targets. Tip of the spear huh? ;)

Domforce24
04-29-09, 10:17 PM
What specifically are the requirements for a recon contract? Is this a UZ contract? Are all SOI classes getting a chance at the INDOC?

To get a recon contract you don't need much except a clean record really. Just make sure you're great at pt, swimming and highly motivated. Oh and if you enjoy your free time, just forget about it. Recon is life around here, you live, breath and eat it. So tell suzy that you don't have time for her anymore and kiss your friends and family goodbye because you will be nonstop training for at least 1.5 years and most likely sent to Okinawa with 3rd recon. 3rd recon is hurting for bodies and has been for a while so thats where all the boot 0321's go when they graduate BRC.

When you go through SOI you MAY get a chance to volunteer to go to RIP/BRC afterwards but my company didn't. Luckily I had a recon contract so I was set anyways. So I highly recommend going into the Marines as an 0321 or else you risk not being about to volunteer in SOI or you have to wait until your an NCO in the fleet to lat move to recon.

Domforce24
04-29-09, 10:21 PM
Alright I made a 54 AFQT and I have a 105 GT and I am enlisting on June 1st, 2009 under 03xx. I have a question can I enlist and then after I make it through MCRD and go to SOI can I then do the REcon Indoc even if I didn't have the GT or AFQT for 0321?

Yes you MAY get the chance to come to recon after SOI. That is only if RIP is hurting for bodies and comes to SOI and asks for volunteers. But like I said in a previous post, sometimers they are full up and don't need guys so they only take recon contracts. As long as you GT score is 105 or above then your eligible.

wisor09
04-29-09, 10:24 PM
recon is the route ive always wanted to go. but i'm clueless on how to get there. Im 67 days til recruit training an still havent got an MOS. So what MOS do i need to get into for recon? i'm ready to do WHATEVER it takes to get there. I just need to know what it is that i need to do.

Drill for life
04-30-09, 04:27 PM
Yes you MAY get the chance to come to recon after SOI. That is only if RIP is hurting for bodies and comes to SOI and asks for volunteers. But like I said in a previous post, sometimers they are full up and don't need guys so they only take recon contracts. As long as you GT score is 105 or above then your eligible.

Thank you very much. I don't really want to be Recon, I just want the chance you know. I jsut really want to go to Airborne school at Ft.Benning(I went this summer at JCLC and did the 60 foot tower, 250 foot drop and 30 foot tower)

Domforce24
05-02-09, 04:40 PM
recon is the route ive always wanted to go. but i'm clueless on how to get there. Im 67 days til recruit training an still havent got an MOS. So what MOS do i need to get into for recon? i'm ready to do WHATEVER it takes to get there. I just need to know what it is that i need to do.

try to get a recon contract from ur recruiter as an 0321 reconnaissance man. they are limited on recon slots but if u cant get it then go 03xx grunt and then volunteer for recon in SOI if u get the chance

Domforce24
05-02-09, 04:41 PM
Thank you very much. I don't really want to be Recon, I just want the chance you know. I jsut really want to go to Airborne school at Ft.Benning(I went this summer at JCLC and did the 60 foot tower, 250 foot drop and 30 foot tower)

if u don't want to be recon bad enough then you will never make it, sorry

JSam
05-02-09, 09:25 PM
its 25m straight through in cammies. however, they will train you to do 50m so that when the day of the screening comes, you will do 25m easily...

Awesome, man. Thanks. Good luck on your journey.

GavinL91
05-02-09, 09:56 PM
do recon Marines get all the hi tech weapons and stuff. Night vision and lasers and stuff like that.I dont want to compare life to a video game but is it like the **** they use in COD 4.

Domforce24
05-02-09, 11:22 PM
do recon Marines get all the hi tech weapons and stuff. Night vision and lasers and stuff like that.I dont want to compare life to a video game but is it like the **** they use in COD 4.

yes all the same weapons and gear...recon gets alot of funding, unlike the rest of the marine corps

Sahaydak
05-11-09, 11:55 PM
dont know everything but I do believe that PEQ and Nightvision isnt all that "Hi-tech" anymore. And for weapons Im not quite sure which hi-tech ones you are talking about either

BIGMAC51
05-17-09, 10:22 AM
after reading all the post in this thread...you can get a recon contract from your recruiter? The one i go to told me you can't. Getting in better shape, what are somethings to get better pull-up results and a better run. after SOI is it rip then RBC?
Im only a sophomore in high school, so im just trying to get enough info before i enlist
thanks

PaidinBlood
05-17-09, 10:53 AM
DoucheFag24: You are cocky, obnoxious, and in way over your head. Don't even TRY to tell me about the tip of the spear, clown. Guess how many recon elements I saw in country. Zip. No, not because they were good, but because they are simply not performing traditional recon missions. In the 20 min since you left MCRD (I hate that line!) you have obviously forgotten that you are nothing but an insignificant cog in a gigantic lumbering war machine.

Don't take it wrong-I really do wish you the best of luck. Just settle down and keep it in perspective. Far better men than you or I have gone ahead and established a legacy far greater than we could hope to improve. Semper Fi

thewookie
05-17-09, 02:34 PM
DoucheFag24: You are cocky, obnoxious, and in way over your head. Don't even TRY to tell me about the tip of the spear, clown. Guess how many recon elements I saw in country. Zip. No, not because they were good, but because they are simply not performing traditional recon missions. In the 20 min since you left MCRD (I hate that line!) you have obviously forgotten that you are nothing but an insignificant cog in a gigantic lumbering war machine.

Don't take it wrong-I really do wish you the best of luck. Just settle down and keep it in perspective. Far better men than you or I have gone ahead and established a legacy far greater than we could hope to improve. Semper Fi

lol, too funny

jAbate94
05-18-09, 05:22 AM
DomForce: You need a 225 PT and a 2nd Class Swim Qual. in boot or you lose your 0321 contract, correct? Or is the PT and Swim Qual. standard higher?

Domforce24
05-22-09, 09:48 PM

you, sir, are what we call in the recon community a "recon hater". There's a ton of them out there in the corps and you fit the exact profile of one. Your a terminal lance corporal who's obviously bitter about something. Oh you didn't see recon in country? Good, then they did their job, they want to remain undetected from both the enemy or some trigger happy grunt that would compromise their team. I'm assuming this was iraq, which recon is being pulled out of because their is no reconnaissance mission there anymore. In afghanistan however, business is good there. And yes i am a little cocky i guess because in 2 weeks ill have obtained the title of 0321 amphibious reconnaissance operator and be one of only 1300 operators in the corps right now. Much more than you can say in your 4 years of being a terminal lance. So before you start fights with a college educated, soon-to-be bloodthirsty recon Marine, just remember you couldn't get into recon because your gt score was too low and you didn't have the balls to become the best of the best. So don't bash me and then semper fi me when all im trying to do is help these young kids achieve their goals of becoming a recon Marine when YOU NEVER HAD WHAT IT TAKES IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Domforce24
05-22-09, 09:52 PM
after reading all the post in this thread...you can get a recon contract from your recruiter? The one i go to told me you can't. Getting in better shape, what are somethings to get better pull-up results and a better run. after SOI is it rip then RBC?
Im only a sophomore in high school, so im just trying to get enough info before i enlist
thanks

your recruiter is lying to u. get a new recruiter or put ur foot down and dont let him push u around into signing under a different MOS. Ur about to serve ur country, the least ur country can do for u is give u the job that u desire

as far as getting in better shape, check out stewsmith.com and look at his workouts for recon. I bought a recon workout from him last year and in 3 months i was in rediculously good shape, but u gotta have a lot of freetime to workout and be highly motivated to stick with it...its a *****

and yes it goes SOI>>>RIP>>>>BRC

Domforce24
05-22-09, 09:56 PM
DomForce: You need a 225 PT and a 2nd Class Swim Qual. in boot or you lose your 0321 contract, correct? Or is the PT and Swim Qual. standard higher?

negative, your pt and swim qual in bootcamp doesn't mean anything. as long as u at least get a 4th class swim qual and merely pass the pft in bootcamp then your fine. However, once u get to RIP, they will only send the guys with the best swim and pt scores into a BRC class. Otherwise you will be stuck in RIP forever, and trust me its a friggin nightmare there. Not someplace you wanna stay in for long. Once you get into BRC, you will need AT LEAST a 225 PFT and a 1st class swim qual to continue the course after training day 1. But you should far exceed a 225, a recon stud should be able to get a 225 in his sleep.

PaidinBlood
05-22-09, 11:05 PM
you, sir, are what we call in the recon community a "recon hater". There's a ton of them out there in the corps and you fit the exact profile of one. Your a terminal lance corporal who's obviously bitter about something. Oh you didn't see recon in country? Good, then they did their job, they want to remain undetected from both the enemy or some trigger happy grunt that would compromise their team. I'm assuming this was iraq, which recon is being pulled out of because their is no reconnaissance mission there anymore. In afghanistan however, business is good there. And yes i am a little cocky i guess because in 2 weeks ill have obtained the title of 0321 amphibious reconnaissance operator and be one of only 1300 operators in the corps right now. Much more than you can say in your 4 years of being a terminal lance. So before you start fights with a college educated, soon-to-be bloodthirsty recon Marine, just remember you couldn't get into recon because your gt score was too low and you didn't have the balls to become the best of the best. So don't bash me and then semper fi me when all im trying to do is help these young kids achieve their goals of becoming a recon Marine when YOU NEVER HAD WHAT IT TAKES IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Good to see they're still cranking out good old blood guts pizz and vinegar down there... I ain't flamin anyone or trying to battle. I call it as I see it and obviously you don't agree. No worries. For the sake of the poolees watching I just want to clarify I have nothing against recon-actually have plenty of respect for the field. Before you get to judging, there is more than a stack and a bio can reveal. If you really want to know some of my credentials shoot me a PM or just come over the hill to Mateo and I'll gladly buy you a beer. I sure as hell will Semper Fi you because at the end of the day you are still my brother (even if ya hate me) just as every Matrine who ever has or ever will bear the title. Good luck on the remainder of your training (although you obviously don't need it) and when you get where you're going keep your head down and give 'em hell for me. SF :usmc:

edit-Just had some old friends over for a few beers before one heads to Afghan and the other keeps making Devil Docs. Telling war stories (the few lame ones we have anyway...) and remembering the brothers we left there. Just makes me think and I probably will be all night...

BIGMAC51
05-23-09, 08:25 PM
yeah i will be having a talk with him.
how long is RIP, what i read it made it seem like it was just a veryy long day
and can you tell me what you do during each phase of BRC

Domforce24
05-23-09, 10:22 PM
Read the posts on this thread to see how long RIP is, its different for everyone.

Each phase of BRC goes like this:
1st phase (pool phase): ton of hours in the pool doing various workouts, early morning pt such as running, cross fit, run-swim-runs, etc, land navigation, radio comm, calling for fire (mortars, arty, air) and learning various knots.

2nd phase (patrol phase): ruck runs (5-10 miles timed), demolitions (tnt, c4, claymores), a LOT of patrolling and patrol week (10 days in the desert doing long range reconnaissance patrols over several miles per patrol. 2-3 hours a sleep a night for the first 7 days and then no sleep at all the last 3 days, little food and no hygiene).

3rd phase (amphib phase): conducted in coronado and includes zodiac boats, finning, hydographic surveys, beach reconnaissance and amphibious insertions.

these are just the main things we do, there is a lot more but i can't remember everything

SgtRamey
06-21-09, 01:22 PM
Hey Dom,

I'm making a lat move for 0321. Obviously I have an overall idea of what is expected at BRC however I'm still curious about a "typical" training day. I know typical probably doesn't happen at BRC but on average what's the day like? I'm looking for if you were writing a detailed training op. I appreciate the info and this has been an informative thread, great posts.

Sgt R

rheinmark187
06-22-09, 08:53 PM

Whenever I've done it, it's been straight through. You don't get to push off from the pool wall though. You pull yourself down to the bottom of the pool touch off then start swimming. Touch your head to the other side then become upright and break the water and say "I feel fine." Sometimes recite your SSN. It wasn't one of the tests that dropped a lot of people, at least not later on. This wasn't for Recon Indoc, this was for MCIWS, but I would guess it's not much different, because both use procedures from the manual on swim qualifications.

rheinmark187
06-22-09, 08:56 PM
Read the posts on this thread to see how long RIP is, its different for everyone.

Each phase of BRC goes like this:
1st phase (pool phase): ton of hours in the pool doing various workouts, early morning pt such as running, cross fit, run-swim-runs, etc, land navigation, radio comm, calling for fire (mortars, arty, air) and learning various knots.

2nd phase (patrol phase): ruck runs (5-10 miles timed), demolitions (tnt, c4, claymores), a LOT of patrolling and patrol week (10 days in the desert doing long range reconnaissance patrols over several miles per patrol. 2-3 hours a sleep a night for the first 7 days and then no sleep at all the last 3 days, little food and no hygiene).

3rd phase (amphib phase): conducted in coronado and includes zodiac boats, finning, hydographic surveys, beach reconnaissance and amphibious insertions.

these are just the main things we do, there is a lot more but i can't remember everything

How did the non-Infantry Marines do compared to 03xx? It's supposedly a big factor in SFAS.

SgtRamey
06-22-09, 09:30 PM
I'm making a lat move to 0321. It's required for me to go to ITB to obtain the 0311 MOS prior to going to BRC becausing according to MCO you must be a 03XX or with reasonable OJT from the recon unit and a waiver signed by Company CO

chadhertz
07-12-09, 03:01 PM
I was on youtube and found this video haha. It's yours right? I recognized the username from this thread. Good music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjNCBH0mljQ

Domforce24
07-12-09, 07:02 PM
yes that would be me

Gunner614
07-12-09, 07:12 PM
Cool video, are you in it?

Domforce24
07-12-09, 07:13 PM
yeah im in most the pics.

Outback206
07-23-09, 04:06 PM
Hey Domforce, thanks for this whole topic, it's been really helpful since Recon is my dream and all.

I just had a question about the contract. My recruiter is fairly new to the game, and told me there was no "Recon contracts" anymore, due to the high demand for Recon Marines. I told him to look into it and double check.

Also, I've been reading all over the place that the new contract signs you up for 5 years and a $7,000 bonus. Is this true?

Thanks again.

Loggerhead
07-23-09, 11:13 PM
Did you screen at SOI? What did your screening consist of? Any advice you would give to prepare for it?

Domforce24
07-29-09, 04:52 PM
Hey Domforce, thanks for this whole topic, it's been really helpful since Recon is my dream and all.

I just had a question about the contract. My recruiter is fairly new to the game, and told me there was no "Recon contracts" anymore, due to the high demand for Recon Marines. I told him to look into it and double check.

Also, I've been reading all over the place that the new contract signs you up for 5 years and a $7,000 bonus. Is this true?

Thanks again.

Im not sure what the new contract is like. When i enlisted it was a 4 year term with 10k bonus for active duty and 6 year term for 20k for reservists. ur recruiter may or may not be lying. there r not a lot of slots for contract recon guys out there and u gotta fight for them but a good option is to get a reservist recon contract and then once u complete ur training and go to ur unit u can augment to active duty.

lagrand
07-30-09, 03:32 AM
PFC, I appreciate all the information thus far. I don't post a lot on this forum but read it religiously. I was DQ'd from service in the Marine Corps for being on medicine back in December (long story). BUMED for the Navy saw me as perfectly healthy and decided to let me in. I contracted as an HM (corpsman) and I'm set to leave for Great Lakes in a few months. After Corps school, most male candidates are being sent to Field Med at Lejeune where most get the chance to try for Recon. I would like to see myself trying out once I get out there. I retrieved some MARPAT MCCUU trousers and boots and have been running but what are some "pre-boot" exercises that I could be doing? I am guessing the Corpsman indoc test is the same as Marines? What are your opinions on these Corpsman joining the Recon ranks? God bless you and take care of yourself.

-LaGrand

MicMarine
08-03-09, 01:05 PM
Great freaking post PFC.

GyC
08-03-09, 06:08 PM
Im not sure what the new contract is like. When i enlisted it was a 4 year term with 10k bonus for active duty and 6 year term for 20k for reservists. ur recruiter may or may not be lying. there r not a lot of slots for contract recon guys out there and u gotta fight for them but a good option is to get a reservist recon contract and then once u complete ur training and go to ur unit u can augment to active duty.

First off, I congratulate you on your success thus far in the Corps, doing what you felt was the best for you... Second, a request... When speaking on a Recruiter, let's lose the "lying" adjective/verb/whatever... As you can see, your thread generated continued interest for what, 4 months? There are alot of guys who are interested in high speed, low drag... UZ, if placed on an individual who is likely going to succeed, can be one of the first Programs that disappears from the yearly inventory... In my opinion, and it's just my opinion, many that we place in it, aren't as serious as you, and aren't training as hard as you did... If you can maintain the pace, keep giving these guys the scoop... Good luck to you! S/F

Ryokeen
09-01-09, 10:46 PM
First thank you PFC, for you effort to help us Poolee's and wannabe's get these questions answered, without getting mocked for it! My question is regaurding achieving the Expert Rifle Qualification. That is one thing I have very little control of until I am there; I too am following Stew Smith's Recon Training and Pullup/push up two week boosters- I am dedicated to this! However, I don't want to screw up and not qualify Expert and lose my chance at Recon either. Do you have any tips or suggestions to AIDE in this process, or is it a got it or don't type thing? Recon isn't a hold your hand all the way thing, and I am fully aware of that- I'll humbly except any advice, or none at all. You know best, Marine. Thank you, sir!

Domforce24
09-02-09, 01:04 AM
First thank you PFC, for you effort to help us Poolee's and wannabe's get these questions answered, without getting mocked for it! My question is regaurding achieving the Expert Rifle Qualification. That is one thing I have very little control of until I am there; I too am following Stew Smith's Recon Training and Pullup/push up two week boosters- I am dedicated to this! However, I don't want to screw up and not qualify Expert and lose my chance at Recon either. Do you have any tips or suggestions to AIDE in this process, or is it a got it or don't type thing? Recon isn't a hold your hand all the way thing, and I am fully aware of that- I'll humbly except any advice, or none at all. You know best, Marine. Thank you, sir!

Not much you can do. I've shot firearms my entire life so it was fairly easy for me at the range. However, if you aren't used to shooting then you are either gonna be a natural or just plain suck. That doesn't mean you can't improve once you are in training though. Getting expert really isn't hard anyways, about 1/3 of my platoon in boot camp got expert. All the rest were mostly turd nuggets anyways.

By the way, people will tell you to forget everything you learned about shooting in the civilian world when shooting in boot camp because it will mess you up. In some aspects thats true but in reality if you're a good shot now then you're gonna be a good shot on the rifle range in boot camp. It all comes down to are you coordinated or not. Some people just suck at life :thumbup:

Ryokeen
09-02-09, 09:47 AM
Not much you can do. I've shot firearms my entire life so it was fairly easy for me at the range. However, if you aren't used to shooting then you are either gonna be a natural or just plain suck. That doesn't mean you can't improve once you are in training though. Getting expert really isn't hard anyways, about 1/3 of my platoon in boot camp got expert. All the rest were mostly turd nuggets anyways.

By the way, people will tell you to forget everything you learned about shooting in the civilian world when shooting in boot camp because it will mess you up. In some aspects thats true but in reality if you're a good shot now then you're gonna be a good shot on the rifle range in boot camp. It all comes down to are you coordinated or not. Some people just suck at life :thumbup:

Haha, Roger that! I shoot clays fairly often, coming from a red neck family, and got an oppourtunity to use the latest technology the Army had (KAT system, I think?) which simulated real kick and firing for guns, electronically. I did well with everything but the huge *** machine guns. So we'll just have to see, wether or not, I suck at life then aye? :thumbup:

What's life like for you now Marine?

boondocker1
09-02-09, 10:46 AM
Is anyone here from the old Recon Company's? Back in the late 50's I was in 2d Recon at Camp LeJune (Camp Geiger) and we had a similar PT swim test and indoc but it was just a part of daily OJT. I do recall that the PL could fire anyone in the platoon and by close of business that day you were on a truck to the Division.

As I recall new members were assigned to the amphib platoon till they prove themselves capable then sent up to Little Creek (?) for the three week Amphib/Recon course. I'm not positive (someone may be able to validate) but you had to be in the Amphib platoon a year befor you could request jumps school. Even then slots were hard to come by 'cuz the Army opnly allowed us X-number of slots per cycle. One guy I went through Parris Island was an x-Army jumper from the Korean war. He walked in with the wings and there was quite a flap over how to handle him.

Any how, I thought I'd take a left turn in this string to bring up the continuity of Recon and requirements to be a member. I was lucky (I guess) coming right out of boot camp and ITR I was in really good physical condition and all the PT was not hard at all.

Ahhh, the memories

Petz
09-02-09, 11:11 AM
Ha! Guess who is sitting in a observation post 2 weeks straight prior to the grunts going in an kicking ass? That would be recon reconnoitering the enemy and giving your commanders intel on your targets. Tip of the spear huh? ;)
A tip pierces... best you can call this is being the eyes and ears.

Petz
09-02-09, 11:14 AM
yes all the same weapons and gear...recon gets alot of funding, unlike the rest of the marine corps

really? so who supports the repair of that gear? guess we don't have the funds to fix it. You can't play Marine Corps reconnoiter today because your comm is busted.

Petz
09-02-09, 11:21 AM
you, sir, are what we call in the recon community a "recon hater". (1)There's a ton of them out there in the corps and you fit the exact profile of one. (2)Your a terminal lance corporal who's obviously bitter about something. Oh you didn't see recon in country? Good, (3)then they did their job, they want to remain undetected from both the enemy or some trigger happy grunt that would compromise their team. I'm assuming this was iraq, which recon is being pulled out of because their is no reconnaissance mission there anymore. In afghanistan however, business is good there. And yes i am a little cocky i guess because in 2 weeks ill have obtained the title of 0321 amphibious reconnaissance operator and be one of only 1300 operators in the corps right now. Much more than you can say in your 4 years of being a terminal lance. (4)So before you start fights with a college educated, soon-to-be bloodthirsty recon Marine, just remember you couldn't get into recon because your gt score was too low and you didn't have the balls to become the best of the best. So don't bash me and then semper fi me when all (5)im trying to do is help these young kids achieve their goals of becoming a recon Marine when YOU NEVER HAD WHAT IT TAKES IN THE FIRST PLACE.

(1) how would you know?

(2) Again, How would you know? check now, and then ask him what is composite score was when he got promoted, then ask yourself again why his MOS didn't promote him at a lower score.

(3) you're an idiot

(4) I didn't know it was physically possible to kiss your own ass, plus what makes you think everyone in the Corps wants to be Recon? so you're not apart of an elite group who were selected from 202,000 Marines. You're one of probably 5,000 who wanted it. So that makes you average.

(5) no your not, you're stroking your own Ego. usually this is done by people who respect you and think you're awesome, apparently no one feels that way about you.

grow up.

Petz
09-02-09, 11:23 AM
your recruiter is lying to u. get a new recruiter or put ur foot down and dont let him push u around into signing under a different MOS. Ur about to serve ur country, the least ur country can do for u is give u the job that u desire

as far as getting in better shape, check out stewsmith.com and look at his workouts for recon. I bought a recon workout from him last year and in 3 months i was in rediculously good shape, but u gotta have a lot of freetime to workout and be highly motivated to stick with it...its a *****

and yes it goes SOI>>>RIP>>>>BRC

no he's not, you don't know what you're talking about.

you should request to become a recruiter for your B-billet then determine if his recruiter was lying to him. you're still an idiot.

man, I'm totally doubling my post count with this thread!

Isrowei
09-08-09, 05:15 PM

You are out of line Marine. Many others have pointed out your obvious attitude problems and I know PMs have been sent as well. Giving advice is one thing, dispensing attitude to other (and more senior) Marines is disrespectful and wrong.

Poolees and Wannabes, there are many folks who can help you in your journey. Choose wisely whose advice you listen to as it makes no sense to get good "gouge" from someone who so obviously dismisses such basic "Corps" Values of integrity, respect for rank, and universal brotherhood. There is no room for the "we're better than you" mentality within the Corps. The Corps as a whole holds itself to a higher standard. Beyond that, we are Marines first and always. Not clubs within clubs. That attitude is despicable and should be shunned wherever it is seen.

J Cooper
09-12-09, 10:26 AM
DOMFORCE----Just answer the questions you are asked and stop sucking your own dick in this thread. Its ****ing annoying the **** out of me.

To all the poolees... just work hard at what you want to do, stay focused, and you can accomplish anything. When someone says you cant do something that you have wanted to do your entire life (within the means of the law), punch them in the face and axe stomp them when they hit the deck. And remember... patience is a virtue...

Flaco
10-14-09, 12:50 AM
Domforce24,

When you're at ITB I read on a different thread that you're split into groups depending on your specific MOS at week 5, if you have a recon contract are you placed in with another MOS group or does recon have their own group?

Thanks Marine

FistFu68
10-14-09, 12:35 PM
:evilgrin: Yo Rekunt,I wanna hear no much chit You talk after doing a Tour with tha' Fleet.Blood thirsty Hey,be careful what You wish for BadAzz cause You liable too get more than You wished for Marine :confused: :iwo:

rheinmark187
10-24-09, 05:15 PM
Domforce24,

When you're at ITB I read on a different thread that you're split into groups depending on your specific MOS at week 5, if you have a recon contract are you placed in with another MOS group or does recon have their own group?

Thanks Marine

This is an interesting question and hopefully one of the recently minted Recon Marines can answer it.

GDean
10-29-09, 03:14 PM
Good afternoon sir. I am currently in the DEP with a UZ (reconnaissance) contract. Which aspect of BRC did you feel most unprepared about. I ask so that i may have the chance to prepare more effectively. Did you feel that the RMAT platoon prepared you well enough for BRC or when the time comes should i try to exceed the RMAT physical training.

Petz
10-29-09, 03:17 PM
GD... read the rest of the posts, then ask yourself. Do you think this guy is coming back? He's a tool who felt he's better than everyone else.

When told MarSOC is better than recon he got offended, don't listen or follow any of these kids who act this way.

I'd recommend you start a new thread in the ask a marine forum. Ensure you profile is properly filled out first.

Geagle05
11-12-09, 12:01 AM
Interesting thread. No, I'm not interested in recon, but I do have a question regarding several mentions of the ruck runs. While I consider myself decent at PT (298 PFT), I was lousy at the humps at OCS (never fell out but it was like death the whole way through!). I met Sgt. Reyes from Generation Kill, and he told me that ruck runs were the greatest for helping at humps and something the recon community does often for their PT...my question is how much weight is used and what is an appropriate weight to start at? I'm 5'6, 150 (128 at OCS...go figure why the humps were hard!) so I'm just trying to prepare myself to be the best I can possibly be on future humps. Thanks all.

Petz
11-12-09, 02:19 AM
I wouldn't go over 30lbs ever... you'll break yourself unless you're trained well enough. I'd start with your day pack and about 10lbs of gear, I don't think I need to suggest doing it in boots and utes. Keep at a fast walk/slow run pace and tighten that day pack down good. Then take it to a comfortable run. I'd hit speed after about 4 to 5 initial mild runs so you don't destroy yourself.

as a disclaimer, I've run with weight before, This is what I did but Everyone is built different and are willing to push themselves hard and faster than I. So please understand this is an opinion and nothing more.

FistFu68
11-12-09, 02:24 AM
:evilgrin: With Helmet-Flak Jacket- Boots-Rifle-Bayonte-Enough Ammo 2 take on the World,2 M-60'sFrags Claymores all the new Suprizes about 80 extra lbs.would handle a LRRP.Combat PATROL AND WANT TOO GET SOME TERRORIST AZZ :mad: :iwo:

Geagle05
11-12-09, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't go over 30lbs ever... you'll break yourself unless you're trained well enough. I'd start with your day pack and about 10lbs of gear, I don't think I need to suggest doing it in boots and utes. Keep at a fast walk/slow run pace and tighten that day pack down good. Then take it to a comfortable run. I'd hit speed after about 4 to 5 initial mild runs so you don't destroy yourself.

as a disclaimer, I've run with weight before, This is what I did but Everyone is built different and are willing to push themselves hard and faster than I. So please understand this is an opinion and nothing more.

Thanks for the tip SSgt. That sounds about right to me. I should be able to handle that and then work my way up to being comfortable with the weight. Humps will probably never be easy for the small guys, but I shouldn't be good at other PT and then suck wind on a little hump. I'll put this in my routine.

Zulu 36
11-12-09, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the tip SSgt. That sounds about right to me. I should be able to handle that and then work my way up to being comfortable with the weight. Humps will probably never be easy for the small guys, but I shouldn't be good at other PT and then suck wind on a little hump. I'll put this in my routine.

PM Drifter and ask her to change your status. If you're done with OCS you're no longer a "Marine Friend"

Geagle05
11-12-09, 02:11 PM
PM Drifter and ask her to change your status. If you're done with OCS you're no longer a "Marine Friend"

Sgt., to be honest, I'm not even sure what my title is. Some say that we are technically civilians until commission date, some paperwork says we're considered E-5 but only in paygrade, some call us Marines without rank. I've been called civilian, Marine, Lieutenidate, candidate, 3rd Lieutenant...lol the list goes on and on.

Several drill instructors have told me that we are Marines because we completed the training, but we are not officers yet till we get the bars. In his words, "the training makes you a Marine not a piece of paper." Our Co Cmdr told us that we become Marines the second we walked across the parade deck for the last time. However, I found out later, that my Plt. Cmdr. didn't agree...It's been one of those things that many will argue either which way. Although, I will say that it is odd receiving an Eagle, Globe, and Anchor and at the same time...not sure if I rate the title???

Long story short, I have PM'ed, I believe it was drifter, and my title will remain Marine friend upon commissioning. In my heart, I know I've completed my entry level training, and that means more to me than what my internet title is...

R/s,
Geagle

NoRemorse
11-12-09, 02:21 PM
You're gonna be an awesome "sir"

Semper Fidelis

TheHammer
11-12-09, 02:28 PM
I have a recon-related question, so I figured this would be the thread for it.

I'm considering a contract as a 2844 in a recon batallion. Are 2844s (or anyone else who is not labeled as a recon Marine in a recon batallion) given the same opportunities in terms of training as recon Marines are? Do they go through RIP and BRC? Do they have the opportunity to earn the parachutist badge?

Petz
11-12-09, 03:12 PM
ummmm. I'm gonna say maybe and lean more towards no. Now if you did a LAT move into recon you'd possibly still be doing your original MOS at times since you will have a AMOS of your prior MOS...

but working IN a Bn will probably only get you doing their PT. A buddy of mine was in 3rd recon doing MT Maint and he didn't get any of that.

now, what the crap are you talking about considering a 2844 in a recon Bn? you mean to say you're going to be a reservist?

TheHammer
11-12-09, 04:08 PM
now, what the crap are you talking about considering a 2844 in a recon Bn? you mean to say you're going to be a reservist?

Yes Staff Sergeant, it is a reservist slot. I should have clarified.

Thanks for the info!

amj742
11-19-09, 10:28 AM
Hey, im gonna call your bs card, your information about school is off and it doesnt sound like you have a clue what your talking about. The Marines are full of people who know a little bit about what happens in ARS/BRC and go around trying to look cool but im on to you!

Zulu 36
11-19-09, 10:39 AM
Hey, im gonna call your bs card, your information about school is off and it doesnt sound like you have a clue what your talking about. The Marines are full of people who know a little bit about what happens in ARS/BRC and go around trying to look cool but im on to you!

Who are you talking about?

Plus your profile is too light and needs more info.

Wyoming
11-19-09, 10:57 AM

Ma'am, who's BS card are you calling?

Little Lady, iffen you did the quote bit, it would be easier to figure out, but for now, Missy, me and Zulu are confused.

FistFu68
11-19-09, 01:25 PM
:evilgrin: Young Buck if You take the Biggest Marine in your Platoon put Him or Her in a Firemans carry and do a Football field 100 yrds You'll be on tha Right Path Weightwise.Do it every day a couple times,cause when Your under Intense Enemy Fire you'll be surprised how really Strong and Fast You become.S/F and GodSpeed too You Son :beer: :iwo:

Kyle42293
11-27-09, 02:51 AM
When I sign my contract should I get 0321 right off the bat? How many push ups, sit ups, pull ups and how far should I be able to run prior to BC yo be "ready" for BRC?

bryn82
11-27-09, 05:56 PM
Is there a set pipeline that follows BRC, or is it up to your SSgt which schools you go to?

Kcperkins
12-25-09, 08:32 AM
Can you get an 0321 contract with a criminal waiver? My charges are just alcohol related misdemenors from when I mostly was a juvenile.

Devildogkilo
01-02-10, 02:11 PM
If we have any Recruiting and Retention bubbas out there?

Quick question: Fmr Devildog wanting to come back in 2013, what are the chances of my success of getting 0321.

Short History: Prior to getting and joining the Hoo'ahs (Please don't rang on me too much about it), my unit transitioned over to 4th Force Recon, but my USMC contract was up. Currently in the Hoo'ah Reserves...:usmc:

Nicky the Great
01-06-10, 01:14 AM
I would just like to verify this please:

Let's say I tell my recruiter I want a Recon contract, and let's say I get it. I go through Boot, SOI, and then I go to Recon training?

And if I don't make Recon what happens? Do I get bumped to 0311 or something?

Thank you Marines.

MLMonk
01-06-10, 01:50 AM
I would just like to verify this please:

Let's say I tell my recruiter I want a Recon contract, and let's say I get it. I go through Boot, SOI, and then I go to Recon training?

And if I don't make Recon what happens? Do I get bumped to 0311 or something?

Thank you Marines.

Yes, you would just get sent back as an 0311 more then likely.

FistFu68
01-06-10, 06:10 AM
:evilgrin: I'd worry bout Qual. Day on the Range and shoot Expert cause if You don't the only Grunting Your gonna do is in the Mess Hall as a Cook :scared: :iwo:

Outback206
03-19-10, 11:55 PM
Lcpl Bettencourt,

I finally have my UZ contract in line, but I still have some unanswered questions.

1. Did you have to swim qual 1 IN boot?
2. Did any drill instructor "Go Harder" on you due to your contract.
3. At SOI, will I take the INDOC at the very end of my 3 months?

Thanks again for the post.

-Clark

Domforce24
03-21-10, 10:46 PM
yes u must swim qual 1. yes they went harder on me because they knew i was a recon contract and they were all POGs so of course they were recon haters. they made me squad leader the entire time in boot camp until one of the last weeks and then fired me because i scratched my nose haha. and no you will not take an indoc, they don't do that anymore at SOI.

Lcpl Bettencourt,

I finally have my UZ contract in line, but I still have some unanswered questions.

1. Did you have to swim qual 1 IN boot?
2. Did any drill instructor "Go Harder" on you due to your contract.
3. At SOI, will I take the INDOC at the very end of my 3 months?

Thanks again for the post.

-Clark

Murray291
03-24-10, 07:37 PM

Thanks again.

i just saw this and commented though it was probally already answered.
yes it's the contract i have. VZ. 5 years and 7500 bounus.

fs19
04-14-10, 10:02 PM
yes u must swim qual 1.
Wrong. You need a 3rd class in boot camp, and you have to get a 2nd in BRC, although you will have the chance to get a first.

Domforce24
05-01-10, 01:06 AM
yeah well if you cant get a first class swim qual you will fail miserably at BRC anyways. So if you can't pass a swim qual 1 then dont even try.

fs19
05-01-10, 07:28 AM
yeah well if you cant get a first class swim qual you will fail miserably at BRC anyways. So if you can't pass a swim qual 1 then dont even try.

Really? 'Cause I remember several people in my class not getting first, for whatever reason...and I would put money that a few guys in 5- didn't get it either.

martinj
05-01-10, 09:02 PM
Really? 'Cause I remember several people in my class not getting first, for whatever reason...and I would put money that a few guys in 5- didn't get it either.

I just got out of BRC and we had 3 JEWS and 1 NCO pass the course with a 2nd class swim.

paniagua
05-24-10, 07:04 PM
I am a poole with a UZ contract and i understand that the swimming is very hard. I have been training but i would like to know what i should focus on. Stamina or technique? what should i do to make my goal more successful?
Pull Ups: 34
Sit ups:112
3-mile: 17:56

Lambert43
05-24-10, 09:04 PM
DomForce, sounds as if you are doing well. Best of luck in your training. I had the privilege of serving in Bn Recon and Force over a ten year period and have always remembered the comradrie and lovalty among these fine Marines. Serve proud.

Domforce24
05-24-10, 09:32 PM
arugah ssgt!

FistFu68
05-25-10, 12:28 AM
:evilgrin: When Your in Water become Water,learn too Relax and with your physical abalitites you'll do just fine..."Go Ricky Recon Go" :iwo::thumbup:

kt3of3
05-26-10, 09:11 PM
Stamina or technique? what should i do to make my goal more successful?

They're going to teach you technique in MART and throughout the first phase of BRC and you'll be spending enough time at the pool (every day in MART) that, as long as you stick with it and put out, you'll have more than enough stamina and you're technique will be good enough to breeze through whatever water events they throw at you.

kt3of3
05-26-10, 09:20 PM
Oh and as for swim quals: Everyone in my BRC class came out with Q, if you didn't make the qual you were dropped.

Andrew09
05-27-10, 12:06 AM
I picked my avionics MOS because it lines up with my college major. However.. I'm starting to think I want to do something else that I'll enjoy instead of trying to make my life revolve around college. Recon has been heavy on my mind lately.. checked with my recruiter and the reserve unit I'd be assigned to has 3 or 4 recon jobs available. I'm seriously considering asking if I can switch.. I've been told my my recruiter than I can. Any sort of 2 cents you could offer me on this and picking 0321?

Andrew09
05-27-10, 12:10 AM
on another note, I think I just watched your BRC video on youtube, Domforce. Looks like some pretty fun stuff.

Hollywood27
05-27-10, 09:21 AM
Domforce, i was just blessed with the phone call informing me that i got the UZ, unfortunatley i now have to wait til september to leave for P.I. But I just have one question, do you take the INDOC before RIP? thanks

Quinbo
05-27-10, 09:55 AM
Domforce, i was just blessed with the phone call informing me that i got the UZ, unfortunatley i now have to wait til september to leave for P.I. But I just have one question, do you take the INDOC before RIP? thanks

This thread contains a wealth of information including the answer to your question. Please start at post #1 and read all the way through it. Your question was answered on post #91.

jelliott2015
04-29-12, 07:03 PM
What is Phase 1 of Brc called

kt3of3
05-09-12, 03:01 AM
What is Phase 1 of Brc called

When I went through most people referred to it as 'land nav' but it consists of much more than that.

xMasadax
06-14-12, 01:55 PM
Thanks, Dom. All the info has been really helpful for me. What happens to Marines with UZ contracts that don't qualify expert on the rifle range?

kt3of3
06-14-12, 02:08 PM
You go onto RIP/MART/SNOT/whatever they're calling it these days after you graduate from SOI. You don't need to qualify expert in boot camp to go on with training.

Josephus
01-03-15, 10:31 AM
I just got out of BRC and we had 3 JEWS and 1 NCO pass the course with a 2nd class swim.

Is there a problem with Jews ?

When do they qualify you as a Jump master or what ever it goes by ? (Jump school) & Scuba diving ? During BRC ?

joseywales
01-03-15, 01:11 PM
martin made that statement 5-1-10, today is 1-3-15.

LCPL1341
01-06-15, 09:42 PM
We used NVGs and PEQ at MCT. Its not as "high speed low drag" as you think. In fact, NVGs suck.

LCPL1341
01-06-15, 10:16 PM
You go onto RIP/MART/SNOT/whatever they're calling it these days after you graduate from SOI. You don't need to qualify expert in boot camp to go on with training.

JEWS means Junior Enlisted Warriors; as in E-1s-E-3s.

PJones64
01-07-15, 09:57 AM
Can't understand why martin hasn't responded.His statement was five years ago, just about.

BigB33
02-24-15, 10:50 AM
okay so I have a 0321 contract and I leave on the 14 of September for recruit training and I was just wondering where I will go and what courses I will be taking once I finish recruit training

Scoutsniper04
04-26-15, 07:04 AM
Hey brother let me ask you something I want to become a Scout Sniper how is it to become a scout sniper though a Recon marine contract I don't want to become Marine Special Forces. My main thing is to become a Scout sniper help me devil dog.