PDA

View Full Version : PPW handgun choice and holster questions

SSgt Ramsey
04-25-09, 01:11 PM
Hey...

I'm looking to get a PPW and concealed weapons permit in the very near future and would like to get some imput from those of you who do carry on a daily basis.

I've pretty much decided upon the Taurus 24/7 in .40 cal. for my PPW as a daily carry. Thoughts, good or bad on this weapon or caliber choice??

Also, I like shoulder holsters, but searching online is just a nightmare with so many results...I'm thinking something simple, easy to wear, durable, and hopefully a capacity to keep at least 1 or 2 extra mags with me "just in case" lol...I like the horizontal carry...easier if you do have to pull in a hurry.

Thoughts or suggestions?

390 Mach I
04-25-09, 01:44 PM
Heya SSgt...
I know we kinda got off to a bad start but allow me to try and make up for it.
On inauguration day I bought a S&W M&P .40 that I use for EDC(Every Day Carry) in a Crossbreed MTAC Minotaur IWB holster.

Nothing wrong with a Taurus, they are good guns.
I am a big fan of the .40 cal. :thumbup:

Unfortunately, here in Kali I can only have a 10 round magazine, They usually come with 15 rounders.
I have probably put 2000 rounds through it and have not yet had a malfunction of any kind. Great weapon, great price.

I don't really have a problem concealing my full size M&P but they also make a compact version that is more easily concealable, but with reduced mag cap.

Alisium
04-25-09, 01:50 PM
http://www.westernemporium.com/store/media/001731/001731_01.jpg

I have it on authority that this was the PPE of choice for many OW GS's. Experts in their fields.

SSgt Ramsey
04-25-09, 01:51 PM
Well, I honestly hope I never have to pull it out of the holster, but if I do I want to have enough firepower to drop whomever...I'll deal with the legalities after the fact......40 is a great round....and it's devestating for lethality.

Zebra29er
04-25-09, 02:10 PM
I carry a 24/7 in 40cal. and I have found that the typ of holster pertains to the typ of dress , so I own about 5 typs of holsters, I recomend this guys holsters. Little Bear Holsters.
http://www.littlebearholsters.com/

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Concealment holsters 101: The complete guide to concealment holsters
Part 1

http://www.policeone.com/pc_print.asp?vid=1229386
By Ralph Mroz

Experienced gun-carriers often joke among themselves about the "drawer full" of holsters that they've accumulated over the years … and don't use. There are several reasons it takes a while to find just the right holster for you; you probably need a few different kinds of holsters for a few different guns; some holsters are well made, while others aren't. Now do all the permutations of these reasons multiplied by the dozens of holster manufacturers, custom holster makers, and semi-custom makers, and you wind up with … well, a whole lot of holsters that you don't use, and a few that you regularly do.

You can save yourself a good deal of this trouble by understanding the variable characteristics of holsters to begin with. Here's a guide to them — Holsters 101, if you will.

Objectives
There are three and one-half objectives of any concealment holster: security, access, concealment, and the half-consideration: one-hand re-holstering ability.

Security — the holster should hold the gun in place while you are running, while you're upside down, while you get in and out of cars, and so on. You don't spend your life sitting still, and in a fight you sure as heck aren't standing still.

Access — the holster should provide access to the gun in a short amount of time in compromised positions, like when you are rolling around on the ground or strapped in a car seat. Further the gun should be held in a stable position, so that the draw can be consistent and reliable under stress.

Concealment — the holster should not let the gun be visible or "print" through concealing garments.

One-hand re-holstering capability is useful if your hands will be tied up with other things immediately after firing or challenging a suspect with your gun, such as handcuffing him, restraining him, holding onto innocents (such as a spouse or children), and so on. This capability is absent in holsters made of thin, floppy material, and inherent in holsters made of rigid materials like Kydex. Some leather holsters use a metal band around the mouth to keep it open when the gun is out of it.

Process and trade-offs These 3½ characteristics can sometimes work against one another, so intelligent trade-offs, based on your own lifestyle and threat assessment, are sometimes necessary. For example, retention devices will usually impede draw speed, as will a deeply concealed gun. A comfortable holster may not provide access under some conditions (e.g., most hip holsters are hard to access while seat-belted in a car.) Thus, realize that finding the right holster for you is a process, much like finding the right spouse. Just as you are unlikely to marry the first man or woman you date, you may have to experiment with a few holsters before finding one that's right for you.

Main Types
The most popular holsters are hip holsters, and they ride on a belt outside the pants on the strong side. Pancake holsters are made of two pieces of material with the gun sandwiched between them, and they have two or more belt slots. "Askins" or "Avenger" type hip holsters are made of one piece of material folded around the gun, and usually have a belt slot on the rear of the holster and a belt loop sewn on the back of it. The pancake style provides more leverage on the gun to pull it close the body, and thus is a bit more concealable.

IWB or inside-the-waistband holsters are worn inside the pants and attach to the belt with loops or hooks. These are the most concealable type of holster, but require pants that are about an inch more in the waist measurement than you normally wear. Some people find them less comfortable than hip holsters, and vice versa. A Summer Special-type IWB has the rough side of the leather on the outside to help keep the holster anchored in one place (most leather holsters have the smooth side out.) Some IWBs have an extra "flange" or "tab" to the rear for the same reason. You may or not need/like them.

The Down Under from High Noon Holsters is an example of a rough-side-out Summer-Special type IWB holster
Crossdraw holsters are worn on the off side of the body. They are practical, particularly for people who spend a lot of "threat time" in cars, but they are less concealable than hip holsters because they have to be worn in front of the hip bone.

Shoulder holsters are essentially uncomfortable crossdraw holsters. They have a place when the gun can't be worn on the hip, but they are specialty items, and are much less popular in the real world than they are on TV. They require a an open-front jacket, while most hip holsters can be concealed by an un-tucked shirt. Vertical-carry shoulder holsters are best for very large guns. Horizontal-carry shoulder holsters are best for normal carry guns, and they are worn high near the armpit-not low near the floating rib like so many catalog pictures show.

The Jackass from Galco is a classic shoulder holster
Fanny packs (worn in front) are useful in hot weather when clothing is thin, but they make sitting and driving uncomfortable, and too many of them look like gun packs. If you can, choose a bright color. I even sewed an "LL Bean" tag onto mine!

Paddle holsters are held in place with a paddle attached to the holster that slides inside the pants and is held in place by belt tension on the it. Their main virtue is their "quick-on, quick-off" capability. Most, but not all, are less secure than hip holsters.

Fobus' line of inexpensive holsters incluse this popular paddle rig
Ankle holsters are not appropriate for carrying your primary gun since you can't move while drawing from them. They do have a place for back-up guns, though.

Pocket holsters are an under-looked option. They are a convenient way to carry a smaller gun, and require no concealing garment. But they cannot be drawn from while seated, which is a serious consideration.

Small-of-the-back holsters carry the gun severely canted (see below) at the center of the back and are not recommended! If you fall (a very likely occurrence in daily life, let alone in a fight) you will be crushing your spine between the anvil of the floor and the hammer of the 1 to 2 pounds of ordinance steel that compose your gun and the 150+ pounds that make up you. And then consider sitting for any period of time with them…not a good idea!

Retention
Holsters either have something holding the gun in them other than friction or they don't. Speed scabbards, or open-top holsters, have none, and these are generally preferred for concealed carry. A simple-and the oldest-retention device is the thumb-break, in which a strap of material over the top of the gun is un-snapped with the thumb as the gun is drawn. These are reasonable devices as they slow down the draw-stroke only a bit, but they do make it more complicated, which is the real concern. There are now many kinds of retention devices available on concealment holsters (and more still on police duty holsters), and they usually involve one or more digits of the drawing hand releasing one or more levers as the gun is drawn. Some are more intuitive than others.

Zebra29er
04-25-09, 02:11 PM
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Part 2

Blackhawk's line of SERPA retention holsters are perhaps the most intuitive security holsters on the market
The need for retention devices is very real for exposed guns, such as on a uniformed police duty belt-they help prevent bad guys from simply yanking a cop's own gun out of his/her holster. But the need for such devices is less in concealment holsters, particularly for non-sworn citizens since the gun is (or should be) concealed, and no one should know it's there. Plain clothes police, on the other hand, usually make no secret of the fact that they're cops, so retention devices on their plain-clothes holsters can make sense.

Materials
Synthetic materials like Kydex holsters (either formed from sheets or injection-molded) or other injection-molded polymer holsters have taken the market by storm in the last decade. Usually rigid, polymer holsters don't lose their shape nor do they get soft and rot in humid conditions (including perspiration), and they are slightly faster than leather on the draw. Synthetics are generally preferred by armed professionals (traditionalists excluded) who never know what conditions their holster will be exposed to (e.g., I had to walk waist-deep through a swamp recently.)

Leather is the traditional material for holsters and is an excellent choice for armed citizens. It can "give" a bit and conform to the shape of your body a little more than synthetics. The fact that leather will "bind" the gun a little if your draw is not perfectly straight up can be an advantage if you are concerned about retention and don't want to complicate things with a retention strap. If retention in an open-top holster is your preference, the trick is to go with a deep-seated leather IWB, which should be reasonably difficult for a bad guy to get your gun out of.

Custom vs. Manufactured
Manufactured holsters from the top companies, are generally of good to excellent quality. What they may lack is availability for unusual guns, and they tend to come in only one or at most two belt widths (see below.)

Custom-made holsters are generally of superb quality, and there are many good holster makers out there. You can specify the custom touches you want, get them made in exotic leathers, and you can get the holster mated to precisely the correct belt width. You can usually get them modified to suit any specific fit issues you have. You can also get holsters with features that would be too expensive to manufacture in quantity.

Slot/Loop Width
It's important to match the slot/loop width of the holster to the belt you will wear with it. A minority of holsters come with adjustable slots/loops, and that's a good feature. But many holsters come with belt slots or loops that are a fixed width-usually 1¾-inches. Such holsters are advertised as "fitting belts up to 1¾-inches wide." That's wrong; in fact such holsters will fit only 1¾-inch belts properly! It should be obvious that a holster with slots wider than the belt they are worn on will cause the holster to slip and slide around. A good gun belt should be between 1¼-inch wide to 1¾-inches. Wide belts may be OK for casual wear and out West, but for business attire 1¼ -inch unit may be more appropriate. While some manufacturers may offer selected models with 1½-inch slots/loops, if you want to wear a 1¼-inch belt, you'll have to look for adjustable manufactured models, or go the custom route.

Belts
It is critical wear a proper gun belt with your hip-holstered gun. Gun belts come in widths of 1¼-, 1½-, and 1¾ -inches. Some are tapered in the front to a thinner width. They are usually double-thick leather or leather reinforced with a synthetic material. There are also some all-synthetic belts available. A proper gun belt will support the weight of the gun (which ordinary belts won't), and they provide enough vertical leverage on the holster to prevent it from flopping away from the body. Repeat: it's critical to use a real gun belt with a hip-holstered gun!

Ride
The "ride" of a holster refers to the vertical height at which the gun is carried relative to the belt line. A normal-ride holster will have the trigger near the belt line. A high-ride holster will have the trigger above the belt. A deep-riding holster will have the trigger below the belt. High-ride holsters are harder to draw from, and unless correctly designed and executed, can allow the grip end of the gun to flop out away from the body. Short-barreled guns will have this tendency even with a normal-ride holsters, so good a quality holster is critical with them. The ride of the gun, combined with the holster's cant (see below) will largely determine how comfortably a holster carries a particular gun for you.

Cant
The "cant" of a holster refers to how tilted forward from vertical the gun rides when carried in the holster. A straight-drop holster has 0-degrees of cant and carries the gun vertically. An FBI-cant holster has a cant of between 10- and 20-degrees. Some holsters are severely canted to 30-degrees or even more. While more cant aids concealability a bit, the main reason for it is to make the gun 1) comfortable to carry and 2) easy to draw from. The preference of cant and ride is individual. I prefer a cant and ride such that the back-strap of the gun's grip lies in line with and just below my floating rib. Other people have different preferences. Likewise, you may find that you prefer a different cant and ride for different guns, due to their differing grip angles and shapes.

Women
Women have a very difficult time with concealment holsters. Women tend to be shorter-waisted than men, making their draw stroke more difficult, and they tent to have greater hip flare, resulting in the grip of the gun being severely angled into their rib cage, which in turn results in discomfort and difficulty in drawing. Many manufacturers turn a man's holster into a "woman's holster" by either adding a wedge between the body and gun to compensate for the hip flare, or by lowering the ride of the holster considerably. Both "solutions" severely compromise concealability. Obviously, the slimmer and longer-waisted a woman is, the more likely it is that she can use a man's holster satisfactorily-but almost all women find them unsatisfactory to some degree. Some custom makers make belt holsters designed around a woman's anatomy, but they generally work only for smaller guns.

All of this assumes that a woman will carry her gun on her hip on a belt. But women often don't dress in ways that will accommodate that mode of carry. For them, off-body carry, such as in a purse-with all of it's serious inherent disadvantages, may be the best (but not a good) option. On the belt, if her attire so allows, most women find that a cross draw holster is the best option.

The bottom line for women's concealed carry is usually to go either with a cross draw hip holster, off body carry, or a smaller gun concealed where her mode of dress will allow. Of course, the smaller the gun, the more difficult it is to shoot. Women just plain have a harder time of it!

Bottom line
If you are just starting out in concealed carry, the best bet is to go with a normal-ride, FBI-cant (or straight-drop), pancake-style speed scabbard and a proper gun belt that mates to it properly. This set-up will work acceptably well, if not perfectly, for most men. From then on you can experiment with other holsters if you feel the need to tweak a characteristic. Remember, it's a process!

testforecho2112
04-25-09, 02:14 PM
Hey SSgt,

Just my $.02, but if you have the time, you should take a look at SIG Sauer's new P250 system. Its built with interchangle grips, barrel's and frames. you can swich up between 9mm, .40, .357 SIG, or .45 Calibers.

I personally carry the SIG P220, which is their full size .45, 8+1. I am a big fan of shot placement rather than spray and pray.

The .357 SIG is a great stop gap for .40 and .45, fits nicely right in the middle. Good knock down and less recoil.

SF,

Bill

ENGR1371
04-25-09, 02:36 PM
Hey...

I'm looking to get a PPW and concealed weapons permit in the very near future and would like to get some imput from those of you who do carry on a daily basis.

I've pretty much decided upon the Taurus 24/7 in .40 cal. for my PPW as a daily carry. Thoughts, good or bad on this weapon or caliber choice??

Also, I like shoulder holsters, but searching online is just a nightmare with so many results...I'm thinking something simple, easy to wear, durable, and hopefully a capacity to keep at least 1 or 2 extra mags with me "just in case" lol...I like the horizontal carry...easier if you do have to pull in a hurry.

Thoughts or suggestions?

My daily carry is a Taurus 24/7 Pro .40. I love it! It took a little to get used to the Heinie "Straight 8" sights. Very accurate, I also like the higher cap. magazine & the "Ribber Grip" It's a ver comfortable pistol. The holster was a little problem, so I went with a NRA slide, it works great for me!
The 180 grain shoots better that the 140 grain. just mho.

Semper Fi!

390 Mach I
04-25-09, 03:51 PM
Heya SSgt, Here is a Carry Guide (http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4121) that Nathan at Concealed Carry Forums wrote awhile back.
Great write up and Nathan is a good guy.

Hope this all helps you make a decision.
Stay armed and stay safe.

Wyoming
04-25-09, 03:52 PM
With this I generally use a 'cross draw or driving' holster that is in the front on the left side.

I am going to really study up on the 'Little Bear' holsters link that Chris provided. Not sure why, as I am kinda holster poor.

DocGreek
04-25-09, 06:28 PM
NOW...I wish I hadn't sold my S&W Model 29, .44 Mag. Had an 8" barrel and was ALL BUSINESS! NO VENTS ON THE BARREL!!! Whatever! I'll buy something else, like my D Harry pistol! WHAT PERMIT?? I got it right here, in my pocket....WANNA' SEE??.....BOOM!....DOC

390 Mach I
04-25-09, 06:29 PM
With this I generally use a 'cross draw or driving' holster that is in the front on the left side.

I am going to really study up on the 'Little Bear' holsters link that Chris provided. Not sure why, as I am kinda holster poor.

I'm not a big fan of the cross draw solution as that is a cause of painting unintentional targets whilst drawing across your body. It seems to be ok if you are stuck in a car all day long and have to deal with that though.

Not too mention the fact that if the bad guy gets his hands on you and you are cross-armed... Think about that for a few minutes...

It just seems like a bad tactical situation to me.

Same with a shoulder holster...

I carry at the 3:30-4:00 position and I am right handed.

I'm also not a big fan of the Supertuck solution because... well, I just don't want that thing pointed at my package all the time... KnowutImean?

Marine1955
04-25-09, 06:45 PM
Try this on for size it's works pretty good and you can stop anything with it , anything.

http://www.modelguns-worldwide.com/images/aa44mag5.jpg

390 Mach I
04-25-09, 06:50 PM
Just for reference sake: This is my M&P w/ Trijicon NS and a CT Laser:
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv249/390stang/Firearms/IMG00683.jpg
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv249/390stang/Firearms/IMG00685.jpg

and my HD shottie: Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv249/390stang/Firearms/DSCF1811s.jpg

BR34
04-25-09, 06:59 PM
I'm really biased towards 1911s. I've got a couple right now, and I've owned a lot more. I keep a customized Springfield 1911 in the car, with 4 mags. I also have a Les Baer Custom Concept V 1911 in the house just incase my h.d. shotgun fails for whatever reason.

But, since it seems you've already decided on a Taurus, I can only say I have owned 2 Taurus. Both revolvers, 1 .38sp the other .44 mag. I sold the .38 and still have the .44. It's pretty solid for the price, and I'd trust my life vs a wild animal with it at any moment.

As far as caliber choice I think .45 would be my first choice, followed by a revolver chambered in .41 mag and then a 10mm and then a .40 cal.

Check midwayusa.com for all your shooting needs. They have a good deal of holsters and you can narrow your search down with their search engine.

Good luck.

390 Mach I
04-25-09, 07:53 PM
As far as caliber choice I think .45 would be my first choice, followed by a revolver chambered in .41 mag and then a 10mm and then a .40 cal.

I don't really disagree with you, however, with a .45 you are reducing capacity which can come in handy vs multiple BG's. .41mag and 10mm are nice but hard to find and expensive!

This is why I chose .40S&W.

I do love me some .45ACP action and have always wanted a 1911.
Too bad fundage atm is a bit low.

The S&W M&P .45C (Compact) is an amazing weapon from what I hear.

Wyoming
04-25-09, 09:46 PM
I'm not a big fan of the cross draw solution as that is a cause of painting unintentional targets whilst drawing across your body. It seems to be ok if you are stuck in a car all day long and have to deal with that though.

Not too mention the fact that if the bad guy gets his hands on you and you are cross-armed... Think about that for a few minutes...

It just seems like a bad tactical situation to me.

Same with a shoulder holster...

I carry at the 3:30-4:00 position and I am right handed.

I'm also not a big fan of the Supertuck solution because... well, I just don't want that thing pointed at my package all the time... KnowutImean?

Agreed, but the biggest part of the time, I am in my vehicle. Otherwise I use a pancake, right side.

BR34
04-25-09, 10:26 PM
I don't really disagree with you, however, with a .45 you are reducing capacity which can come in handy vs multiple BG's. .41mag and 10mm are nice but hard to find and expensive!

Shot placement, and reloading.

ProblemS solved.

Ed Palmer
04-26-09, 09:18 AM
Here's something you might like..

http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p4037276dt.jpg
Sightmark Accudot 300 Laser Boresight
Our Price: $39.99

Average Customer Rating
4.5 stars
(18 Ratings)
Rate and Review this Item
Read 18 ReviewsBuy Online
In stock
usually leaves warehouse in 2 - 3 full bus. days. - (details)

New product at Toys-R-Us

Make sure to read all the way down.

Hat tip to arfcom

Quantity

Find it In Stores
This item does not participate in the check store inventory feature. Please visit your local store to determine availability. - (details)

Description
Product Description
The Accudot™ 300 Laser Bore Sight by Sightmark® provides a convenient and accurate method for sighting in rifles of all types. Simply chamber the bore sight like a regular bullet and a laser dot will show exactly where the rifle is aiming. It's easy to use and will save both time and money by avoiding prolonged live fire tests at the range. A lightweight carrying pouch protects the laser for convenient use in the field.

Features

Model Number: SM39006
Precision accuracy
Reliable and durable
Fastest gun zeroing and sighting system
Reduce wasted cartridges and shells
Compact and lightweight
Easy to pack and travel
Comes with a carrying case
Laser wavelength: nm 632 - 650 nm
LED type visible red laser
Power: < 5 MW
Battery 3x LR41
Battery Life: about 1 hour
Range For Sighting: 15 - 100 yds
Dot size 2-in at 100 yards
Operation On/Off end cap
Construction brass
Temperature(F): 14 to 122
Compatible Calibers: 300 WIN
Included Accessories: battery pack, carrying case
ReturnsThis item cannot be returned to a Toys"R"Us or Babies"R"Us store;
find out how to return this item.

Additional Info
Item #: 2850498

SKU: SM39006

Country Of Origin: United States

Customer Reviews SummaryProduct Reviews Summary (Powered by PowerReviews.com)
Average Customer Rating: 4.5 stars
(based on 18 ratings)
94% of respondents would recommend this to a friend.
Customers most agreed on the following attributes:

Pros:Accurate (15), Rugged (15), Easy to adjust (14), Adequate power (12), Clear (10)
Cons:Limited adjustability (4)
Best Uses:Targets (13), Small animals (11), Long range (10), Short range (10), Large animals (9)
Describe Yourself:Experienced hunter (12), Casual athlete (5)We'd like your opinion! Rate and Review this Item
Reviewed by 18 Customers Sort by: Newest Oldest Highest ratings Lowest ratings Most helpful Least helpful
Displaying Reviews 1-10 of 18 Back to Top Previous | Next » VERY GOOD PRODUCT
By josiewales from ca on 4/23/2009
Pros:Adequate Power, Clear , Easy To Adjust, Rugged
Cons:Inaccurate
Best Uses:Large Animals, Long Range, Short Range, Small Animals, Targets
Describe Yourself:Beginner
Bottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
Comments about Yukon Advanced Optics Sightmark Accudot 300 Laser Boresight:

can be seen here at [@]

Was this review helpful to you? Yes/No- Report this review as inappropriate.
REPORT REVIEW
Please let us know what kind of issue this is:
Profanity
Wrong product
Spam
Duplicate
Copyright violation
Not a product review
Customer image
Problem with image
Other
Email address (required):

We will never publish your email - see our privacy policy
Comments:

Be Careful !!!!!
By Jim the Headmaster from Washington, D.C. on 4/23/2009
Pros:Accurate, Adequate Power, Clear , Easy To Adjust, Rugged
Describe Yourself:Experienced Hunter

When we tried these out on pre-schoolers rifles in 300 Winchester, they worked remarkably well. However, caution should be exercised when using lasers around small children as they tend to leave the switch in the "on" position and thereby shorten battery life. Our school is now ordering more so that each child will independently have sighting capability for any new weapons he or she later procures. Thank you Toys-R-Us for stocking this hard to find item!

REPORT REVIEW
Profanity
Wrong product
Spam
Duplicate
Copyright violation
Not a product review
Customer image
Problem with image
Other

Comments:

The most awesome tool in my sons kit
By Klaus from Peoples Republic of Maryland on 4/23/2009

When I got my son an Assault Rifle for his 4th Birthday, my wife was concerned with my sons maturity level, and would he responsibly handle such a deadly tool, and he's surprised us both with how well he takes care of his M4, and this boresight worked great, he even let his little sister borrow it for her SBR build she just completed. Parents who have kids that use rifles, this is a great investment, it teaches your children how to properly care for and tune their rifles.

Worth every penny.

REPORT REVIEW
Profanity
Wrong product
Spam
Duplicate
Copyright violation
Not a product review
Customer image
Problem with image
Other

Comments:

VERY GOOD!
By Zumbo from Africa on 4/23/2009
Best Uses:Long Range, Short Range, Small Animals

[...]

REPORT REVIEW
Profanity
Wrong product
Spam
Duplicate
Copyright violation
Not a product review
Customer image
Problem with image
Other

Comments:

Meh...
By Proud Poppa from Occupied Illannoys, home of BHO on 4/23/2009
Pros:Accurate, Rugged
Cons:Limited Adjustability
Best Uses:Targets

While OK for the .300 Win, my son was disappointed that he couldn't sight in the .50 that his Grandpa got him for his birthday. But he was happy that he could use it in his Accuracy International rig we got him for Chanukah.

Now if he could just shoot as well as his sister can... but she's got a two-year head start on him.

REPORT REVIEW
Profanity
Wrong product
Spam
Duplicate
Copyright violation
Not a product review
Customer image
Problem with image
Other

Comments:

Works perfectly
By Happymoms from Plano, TX on 4/23/2009
Best Uses:Long Range, Short Range, Small Animals, Targets

My 4 year old just couldn't get his AR-15 with the 16.1" barrel sighted in. Even with the adjustable stock he couldn't do more than 5 shots off the bench.

The first time we used this, he was on target with the first shot and on the bull with the second.

We have set this aside in the toy chest for when his new EOTech come in so he can zero that quickly as well.

Great for children of all ages.

REPORT REVIEW
Profanity
Wrong product
Spam
Duplicate
Copyright violation
Not a product review
Customer image
Problem with image
Other

Comments:

Great item, but understand limitations
By Stinky Pete from Woodburn, OR on 4/23/2009
Pros:Accurate, Easy To Adjust, Rugged
Best Uses:Large Animals, Small Animals

Great item, my four-year-old was able to get his AR15 "on the paper" with little effort. He quickly learned that it is no substitute for a live-fire sight-in though; he missed hitting the neighbor's dog @75 yards until we zeroed with live rounds.

Great tool, but don't expect miracles.

REPORT REVIEW
Profanity
Wrong product
Spam
Duplicate
Copyright violation
Not a product review
Customer image
Problem with image
Other

Comments:

:(
By JP from MO on 4/23/2009
Cons:Lacks Power
Bottom Line:No, I would not recommend this to a friend

I can't figure out how to actually shoot the laser beam with I pull the trigger. This conversion kit is a rip off and I would not recommend to ANYONE.

REPORT REVIEW
Profanity
Wrong product
Spam
Duplicate
Copyright violation
Not a product review
Customer image
Problem with image
Other

Comments:

[2 of 2 customers found this review helpful]

A Killer of an Idea
By Big Mike from Emmett, Idaho on 2/20/2009
Pros:Accurate, Adequate Power, Clear , Rugged

This item keeps the kids at the day-care center paying attention and each kid wants their turn sighting in the guns! What a great thing. The new 3 year old girl now has become an expert shot as a result of using this item.

REPORT REVIEW
Profanity
Wrong product
Spam
Duplicate
Copyright violation
Not a product review
Customer image
Problem with image
Other

Comments:

[2 of 2 customers found this review helpful]

works great
By childlover from San Jose, Ca on 2/14/2009

What a lifesaver! After buying a mini-14 for my daughter on her 2nd birthday we've had nothing but trouble, the stroller is hard to get in and out of the local shooting range, plus she gets cranky after a few rounds and starts slapping the trigger and such. Plus all the smoke/powder from repeated shots and trips to the range (indoor) cause horrible stains on her little outfits. Now she can sight windage in and just adjust for distance without firing a shot.

REPORT REVIEW
Profanity
Wrong product
Spam
Duplicate
Copyright violation
Not a product review
Customer image
Problem with image
Other

Comments:

Displaying Reviews 1-10 of 18 Back to Top Previous | Next »

FistFu68
04-26-09, 01:49 PM
:evilgrin: I carry an Ed Brown 45.ACP,Bobtail Commander stuck down in my waistband w/good belt 'tween my hip @ belly button.230 Grain Jacketed Hollow points.Carry 4 extra mags 2 in each pocket of my trench coat,on road trips I bring my Smith#629 in 'Tween folded newspaper that is Duct taped on bottom too seat cover case I have too hit the binders!!!Either of these will blow a Canoe in any Wise azz Huckleberries Head :beer: :iwo:

DocGreek
04-27-09, 06:14 AM
GENTLEMEN....let's remember one thing.....it's Obammamamma time, and ANY weapon that's bought, put's you on a list!! They're watching. I don't have that problem....a private sale is MY business!....SEMPER FI.....DOC

Ed Palmer
04-27-09, 07:08 AM
Doctors vs Gun owners

Doctors
(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is

(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians

per year are

(C) Accidental deaths per physician

is

Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of

Health and Human Services.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Now think about this:

Guns

(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S.

is

(Yes, that's 80 million)

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths

per year, all age groups,

is

(C) The number of accidental deaths

per gun owner

is

Statistics courtesy of FBI

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So, statistically, doctors are approximately

9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Remember, 'Guns don't kill people, doctors do.'

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN,

BUT

ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Please alert your friends

to this

alarming threat.

We must ban doctors

before this gets completely out of hand!!!!!

Out of concern for the public at large,

I withheld the statistics on

lawyers

for fear the shock would cause

people to panic and seek medical attention!

BR34
04-27-09, 03:54 PM
GENTLEMEN....let's remember one thing.....it's Obammamamma time, and ANY weapon that's bought, put's you on a list!! They're watching. I don't have that problem....a private sale is MY business!....SEMPER FI.....DOC

*buzzer* WRONG!!!!

Try again, Doc. How's the tin foil hat fitting ya?

BR34
04-27-09, 03:55 PM
:evilgrin: I carry an Ed Brown 45.ACP,Bobtail Commander stuck down in my waistband w/good belt 'tween my hip @ belly button.230 Grain Jacketed Hollow points.Carry 4 extra mags 2 in each pocket of my trench coat,on road trips I bring my Smith#629 in 'Tween folded newspaper that is Duct taped on bottom too seat cover case I have too hit the binders!!!Either of these will blow a Canoe in any Wise azz Huckleberries Head :beer: :iwo:
That's good taste right there! I love Ed Browns and plan on getting a Kobra Carry one of these days.

fjmas1976
04-27-09, 04:13 PM
I have two that I rotate on carrying.
-Glock 27 .40 cal with Trijicon Night Sights
-Smith and Wesson 446 (J-Frame) Airweight Revolver .38 cal

I mostly go with an in the waistband holster, but also have the Blackhawk SERPA holster (comes with paddle and belt slide option) to use when I feel like it.

I also have my issued Sig Sauer 226 .40 cal, but only use that on duty and never carry that anywhere else.:usmc: