PDA

View Full Version : Looking Back at Oroville's Heroes

thedrifter
04-25-09, 08:28 AM
Looking Back at Oroville's Heroes
By STU SHANER
Oroville Mercury Register
Posted:04/24/2009 11:38:46 AM PDT

Bill Connelly and I are co-chairs of the Oroville Veterans Memorial Park Honoring All of Butte County. Please check out our Web site, by webmaster Daryl Autrey, at www.orovilleveteransmemorialpark.org. If you have anything you would like to share with me call 533-8147.

Oroville Mercury Register

May 7, 1951

War in Korea is a battle for the hills controlling lower ground, according to Pfc. Charles Stafford Jr., 19-year-old paratrooper son of Mr. and Mrs. C.F. Stafford of Thermalito.

Stafford, who has been in Korea six months, wrote to his parents: "Do you want to send me some more packages? I get them on the hills we are always on. We go from hill to hill. We stay for two days and go on to a bigger one than we were on before. We stay until they can find a bigger one and then we go over on it and stay there. That's the way it goes all the time. We still get our mail."

Stafford asked for more pictures of "all the family," explaining the ones he carried with him were burned in a fire in one of the villages.

He wrote on Feb. 17, in a letter received by his parents recently: "We have some of the men back that were hit when we first got over here. I was glad to see them come back, instead of seeing some of the boys that are coming in to the army."

The men had been wounded when his outfit made its first jump last October. Of 4,000 paratroopers who took part, 185 were killed or wounded, Stafford wrote to his parents.

Stafford enlisted in December 1948.

———

Albert Treichler, son of Mr. and Mrs. August Treichler, has been accepted for enlistment in the U.S. Navy and is now receiving training at San Diego. Treichler registered a score of 99, one of the highest intelligence examination scores to be attained at the Chico recruiting station in the last year, at the time of his enlistment. He attended Oroville High School.

———

Raymond Wesley Phelps, of Pomona Avenue, has enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve and been assigned to active duty. He is now at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, where he will be given eight weeks recruit training.

Phelps, married and the father of two children, was born and raised in Oroville where he attended Oroville High School. His family lives at the Pomona Avenue address here.

After completing his boot camp training, Phelps will be advanced to the rank of private first class.

———

Robert Earl Beavers, son of Mrs. Louise Pearl Martin, Route 5, Oroville, was accepted into the U.S. Marine Corps, and is now in training at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego.

Beavers was a student at Oroville Union High School where he was a member of the football team during the past two years.

He enlisted for a period of three years in the regular Marines. At the end of eight weeks' training at San Diego, he will be advanced to the rank of private first class

———

Ellie