PDA

View Full Version : Marine General visits AMPHIB Preparing to Deploy

thedrifter
04-24-09, 08:27 AM
Marine General visits AMPHIB Preparing to Deploy

User Rating: / 0
PoorBest Written by By LT. J.G. Tim Hawkins
Thursday, 23 April 2009

SAN DIEGO - USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6), the flagship of Amphibious Squadron Seven, hosted the I Marine Expeditionary Force commanding general here in port at Naval Base San Diego for a three-day offsite planning meeting April 22-24.

As the Marine Corps places greater emphasis on operating from Navy ships, Marine Corps Lt. Gen. Samuel Helland and 30 members of his staff toured ship spaces and held a series of strategy sessions aboard the Navy's next West Coast amphibious assault ship scheduled to deploy.
"The relationship between the Navy and Marine Corps is very important and we chose an amphibious ship in order to bring forth the importance of that relationship," said Lt. Col. Brian Sanchez, a member of I MEF's intelligence staff.

Last June, Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James Conway unveiled "Vision and Strategy 2025," a new strategic vision that highlights the importance of looking beyond current Marine Corps commitments in Iraq and Afghanistan to increase focus on security-cooperation activities that prevent war in potentially unstable regions.

"It's all about getting back to our expeditionary roots," Sanchez said. "Some of our core topics are on readiness for those amphibious skills that the Navy and Marines work to build on."

Bonhomme Richard's senior officers led Marines a on whirlwind tour of the 833-foot-long vessel, visiting spaces including medical, the main gym, hangar and engine room.

I MEF staff took particular interest in the berthing facilities I MEF's troops from the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit will call home during an upcoming fall deployment.

"This is a four-star accommodation. The [ship's] staff has been nothing but good to us, nothing but supportable," said Sanchez.

More than 2,000 11th MEU Marines are scheduled to deploy with the Bonhomme Richard Amphibious Ready Group, which consists of amphibious assault ship Bonhomme Richard; amphibious transport dock ship USS Cleveland (LPD 7); and amphibious dock landing ship USS Rushmore (LSD 47).

The BHRARG/11th MEU team is gearing up to participate in a series of pre-deployment exercises that will prepare the group for a full range of operational capabilities, from combat missions to humanitarian assistance and disaster relief.

Sanchez added, "I'm proud to have the Bonhomme Richard as part of the I MEF/11th MEU team. This is a splendid vessel."

Ellie