PDA

View Full Version : Students run circles around Quantico Marines

thedrifter
04-24-09, 07:07 AM
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Students run circles around Quantico Marines

Lance Cpl. Christopher Duncan
Combat Correspondent

Marines from Quantico volunteered at Kings Elementary School’s second annual Jog-a-thon, April 17.

Volunteers from the Single Marine Program motivated first-, second- and third-graders to push themselves physically with encouraging words and promoted togetherness through team work.

‘‘The purpose for the event is to ... [promote] health and wellness in our school,” said Rebecca Popek, asecond-grade teacher at Kings. ‘‘The students really enjoyed running and stretching with the Marines.”

It is important for Marines to look like more than just war machines to the American people, and events like this help the community to realize that we are a lot more than combat warriors, said Lance Cpl. Nyron A. Smith, an SMP member here.

‘‘I feel this event was very successful. The students really enjoy participating,” said Popek.

‘‘It is a great opportunity to have community members and local Marines come and participate inour school events.

‘‘It was a huge motivator for the children.”

As the students ran around the track the SMP Marines tallied their score cards as they passed each check point.

‘‘I really liked the run and it gave Quantico Marines a chance to interact with the neighboring communities,” said Smith.

‘‘It was great to have the Marines participate in this event,” said Reisha May, a third-grade teacher at Kings. ‘‘They were awesome and had great attitudes; I really like their interaction with the kids.”

Marines understand the importance of having a positive impression on the youth of America.

‘‘I’m very impressed by the whole event,” said Chris McManus, also a third-grade teacher at Kings. ‘‘The Marines seems to care so deeply for the students.”

Volunteers told the students who slowed down that they could do anything they put their minds to and persuaded them to push themselves further than they are used to.

‘‘The Marines excitement and enthusiasm while running with them and encouraging them to continue really seemed to rub off on the kids,” said McManus. ‘‘They even talked to the students about the importance of education and how finishing school has benefited them.”

The interaction with these children also helped to alleviate commonmisunderstandings about service members.

‘‘The students had a few misconceptions about the recent war and those fighting it,” said McManus. ‘‘Now the students know Marines are involved in the community and do more than just fight wars.”

‘‘I would like to thank all of the Marines for coming out and doing a great thing,” said McManus.

‘‘Even after they came out and volunteered, ran circles with the kids and motivated them, they still wanted to do more.”

The SMP knows that interaction with the community is important and seeks opportunities to participate in events like this.

‘‘I felt real good it brought me back to the days when I was in school and a lot of people don’t take the time to think about the things they’ve experienced in their youth,” said Sgt. Ramon Martinez, commanding general’s driver at training command. ‘‘It feels really good to know that we influenced these kids in a positive way.”

Ellie