PDA

View Full Version : Immigrating to the United States, and joining the Marines.

RossCrispin
04-24-09, 03:55 AM
Hi, I'm sure you guys get plenty of these types of threads, so in advance I do apologise.

My name is Ross, I'm 17 years old and I live in the United Kingdom. I have been highly interested in joining the US marine Corps for a while now, since I have a friend that was in the 82nd Airborne division who was talking about re-joining as a grunt in the USMC. I've always been interested in the US military, since it's very modern with the most up to date equipment unlike my countries military.

With the marines, I see a very interesting career with a very large career path, and that has given me the motovation to enlist. My family is a military type, with my uncle who recently left the British Army, and my Granddad who was a colonel in the Parachute regiment. But the British Army, nor the Royal Marines appealed to me.

I was in the Army Cadet force over here, which gave me an insight into military life. I grew to love it, but the insight into the British Army was pretty much an abismal. The equipment is old, the weapon systems are likely to fail (The L85A2 has jammed on my uncle 3 times now, whilst in Afghanistan).

So currently, I'm waiting to attend a new college to start studying Games Development, and at the end of the 2 year course. I was considering immigrating to the States to either join the military, or just generally live over there and work.

So this is why I made a thread, how does the system work? Once I have applied for this 'green card' am I eligible for recruitment as soon as I receive it? Or do I have to live over there for a certain amount of time?

Regards,

Ross.

Old Marine
04-24-09, 08:03 AM
If its new equipment you are looking for, better try another branch of the service. We, in the Marine Corps get hand me downs just like a red headed stepchild.

MarinesFTW
04-24-09, 08:10 AM
Lol Gunny, you just made my morning. Thanks

jinelson
04-24-09, 08:21 AM
Ross be advised that Marine is always capitalized .

Jim

RossCrispin
04-24-09, 12:08 PM
Ross be advised that Marine is always capitalized .

Jim

I do apologise, I didn't realise I left it uncapitalised >.<

If its new equipment you are looking for, better try another branch of the service. We, in the Marine Corps get hand me downs just like a red headed stepchild.

It's not so much the equipment. I've been considering for a few years now moving to the States, but only just really found out I could be eligible to enlist. And since the USMC is the worlds best fighting force, and a Corps I've always loved reading about. Why not try and enlist?

Any information, or links to a site about immigration and stuff would be very helpful

Regards,

Ross.

MARINECID
04-24-09, 12:31 PM
Once you actually receive your green card and have a permanent resident, you can enlist in the Marine Corps.

RossCrispin
04-24-09, 02:15 PM
Once you actually receive your green card and have a permanent resident, you can enlist in the Marine Corps.

It's as simple as that then, huh? Thank you for the help, and I'll remember this for when I graduate from College and have enough money to move over.

Thank you all ^-^ you've all made my day.

Regards,

Ross.

New York
04-26-09, 09:35 PM
Well it sounds simple, but its not simple, as far as the Greed Card forgoes.

You may have to live in the United States longer than 2 years, I have a friend who's from Italy on a student Vista (5 years, going for Masters in American History). Who's in been in the process of trying to obtain a Green Card for 4 years. But then again it might depend on country origins, but maybe not.

Once you can obtain a Green Card your troubles don't abate there, upon enlisting you have a limited choice on MOS availabilities because of the security clearance you need to obtain. If you plan on INFANTRY, and nothing more, you will be okay.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

dribbler
04-26-09, 11:35 PM
have you given any thought to the Royal Marines?

RossCrispin
04-27-09, 02:08 PM
Well it sounds simple, but its not simple, as far as the Greed Card forgoes.

You may have to live in the United States longer than 2 years, I have a friend who's from Italy on a student Vista (5 years, going for Masters in American History). Who's in been in the process of trying to obtain a Green Card for 4 years. But then again it might depend on country origins, but maybe not.

Once you can obtain a Green Card your troubles don't abate there, upon enlisting you have a limited choice on MOS availabilities because of the security clearance you need to obtain. If you plan on INFANTRY, and nothing more, you will be okay.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

I don't plan on anything other than infantry, that's if I choose to even join the military when I immigrate over.

And yes, I have considered the Royal Marines, and I have met a few marines before. I would like future readers to know, I'm not moving to the states just to join the USMC, I've considered joining if I can't get a career in the US. I wouldn't mind a career in the Games industry (By no means am I an unhealthy, fat and geeky teenager) I'd consider the Marines as a secondary option.

sparkie
04-27-09, 03:09 PM
If you ask around, I think you will find no one here who considered the Marines as a second choice. You have it, or you don't,,,,,I think you don't.

RossCrispin
04-27-09, 03:12 PM
If you ask around, I think you will find no one here who considered the Marines as a second choice. You have it, or you don't,,,,,I think you don't.

And how can you make that assumption via the internet? That's absolutely ridiculous.
You don't know my mental state, neither my physical state. And yet, because I have considered it as a 2nd career choice, I don't have it?

sparkie
04-27-09, 03:22 PM
And how can you make that assumption via the internet? That's absolutely ridiculous.
You don't know my mental state, neither my physical state. And yet, because I have considered it as a 2nd career choice, I don't have it?

We're a hard headed bunch, my way of saying it isn't your priority. Go ahead, Join as an afterthought. Wouldn't that sorta say you failed on your first choice.

P.S. You're not going to get a rose garden outta some old salty Marine,,,,,What did you expext? Besides. this is the internet, don't be so serious.

RossCrispin
04-27-09, 03:24 PM
We're a hard headed bunch, my way of saying it isn't your priority. Go ahead, Join as an afterthought. Wouldn't that sorta say you failed on your first choice.

P.S. You're not going to get a rose garden outta some old salty Marine,,,,,What did you expext? Besides. this is the internet, don't be so serious.

Failed at my first attempt? What if I can't get into the industry, or even just decide to join the USMC a few months after immigrating? I have a few more years yet sir, I just wanted some information on the immigration and enlistment rules, rather than say someone's not 'it'.

sparkie
04-27-09, 03:27 PM
I can see you wanna be hot under the collar,,,,sorry 'bout that. To answer your question again, "Get a green card". I'll leave ya to someone else now,,,,,,,,

RossCrispin
04-27-09, 03:29 PM
I can see you wanna be hot under the collar,,,,sorry 'bout that. To answer your question again, "Get a green card". I'll leave ya to someone else now,,,,,,,,

Ha, not sure what you mean. But don't worry about the apology. As far as I can tell the USMC will employ me as an infantryman. Which sounds good to me :bunny:

Alisium
04-27-09, 04:44 PM
Check it. (http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/greencard_employment.html)

For my help, I take payment in "As Time Goes By" and "Red Dwarf" box sets.

It's worth it, innit?

New York
04-29-09, 11:23 AM
RossCrispin,

I understand you have another ambition and seek to excel in it first. You're young that's another factor, so you really don't know what you want in life (I assume). But then again there others in your age group who know right off the bat that they want to be US Marines first, with whatever is going on in their lives and everything more for Corps.

I've read 17+ year olds on here who've gotten all sorts of amazing scholarships/etc with bright futures who drop all that for the right to have a shot at earning the title. To me, actions speak louder than words, same applies to alot of others, especially the Marines on here. For you to say its a secondary option, it's a big insult on Marines. Especially old salty ones like SGT Sparkie.

For SGT Sparkie to say you're not one for the USMC (from your attitude), I'm more than 100% sure he's hit the nail on the head. Plus he has the right to make that opinion because he's a Marine who was in and knows what it takes to be one.

I always believed that, American, civilian or neither, the Marine is present in the Few (so the motto) and is FORGED there at MCRD with honor and the Proud earned at the end of it all.

US Marine first, everything else is second for the rest of your life.

Never secondary always Priority. :iwo:

Books
04-29-09, 12:20 PM
You want to start a new life in a foreign country with a struggling/uncertain economy in an expendable luxury-based industry, but if that doesn't work, you want to enlist in the most spartan branch of that nation's military. This is the most messed up logical-hopscotch I've heard of in a long time.

Good luck...

reallybigshoe
04-29-09, 01:10 PM
You want to start a new life in a foreign country with a struggling/uncertain economy in an expendable luxury-based industry, but if that doesn't work, you want to enlist in the most spartan branch of that nation's military. This is the most messed up logical-hopscotch I've heard of in a long time.

Good luck...

LMAO. This one made my day. :thumbup: