PDA

View Full Version : Why do you want to be a Marine?

GavinL91
04-23-09, 01:08 PM
This post has never been done before,ive searched it and found nothing so im starting this one,so wannabes and pollees can share there reasons why.

Me,i want to join because i look for disipline in a branch where i know i will get it.After gettin in trouble with the wrong group of guys over and over and one of those times landing me in jail,i knew that i need to do something better with my life.

Me being in hs i dont want to be in and out of jail for stupid ****,so i said im joining the Corps.I play football and even though i want a scholarship,i cant see myself wasting my life in college,worrying about studying and not having to worry about failing out of school.

My parents think im crazy about me wanting to join.My dad says im just a number and they dont care about me and i will be brainwashed.My mom is like anyother mom,worried about my safety and all.But i made my decision about this and i will be joining after hs.

That is my reason.

Wyoming
04-23-09, 01:22 PM
yes it has but i ain't looking for it for you.btw,you being a fine and upstanding hs kid,is this the way you learn these days?

NoRemorse
04-23-09, 01:39 PM
Like the corporal said; it's been done before on these here forums.

Too many of your sentences start with me.

College is hard and you sound afraid of it. There are other things to be afraid of; like getting on the yellow foot prints or having a child.

Did one, we're doing the second now, and I'm back in school. Big waste right? Lots of guys have said that without trying it and have had to go back eventually. What do you think about all the MCI's and write-ups and classes you'll be doing and eventually teaching if you make it into our beloved Corps?

You're not gonna be a meathead are you?

GavinL91
04-23-09, 02:08 PM
Trust me i looked searched it and found nothing about this forum.Yeah i dont like school and i see college as a waste,but thats my opinion.I mean if i get a schlorship im going to take it,but im not trying to get my parents to pay for me to go.Atleast in the Corps i will be learning to be a Marine.

Lupo22
04-23-09, 02:24 PM
College isn't for everyone. I tried it. I didn't like it very much. I'm joining the Corps because I want to be a member of the most Elite fighting group in the world. Because I want to join the brotherhood that never dies and never leaves anyone behind when they can at all avoid it.

I want to be the best and I know the Corps will make me the best!

Perkins91
04-23-09, 03:04 PM
This might sound stupid. But I want to join, because I cant think of anything else I would like to do besides join the Marine Core.

Alisium
04-23-09, 03:10 PM
This might sound stupid. But I want to join, because I cant think of anything else I would like to do besides join the Marine Core.

Marine Corps. Cops. Watch the spelling.

And I was pretty much in the same boat. I decided around five years old and still to this day don't know why. Just always wanted to be.

pooleedavis91
04-23-09, 03:20 PM
I know this is a very common answer but the Marine Corps is the best. They start by their strict enlistment requirements. They don't accept GED's and they have the most discipline. I've seen alot of my friends come back from recruit training just completly different. I wouldn't do anything else. I have no money for college and I'm not a fan of taking out loans to repay for 20 years. Why not serve your country and be the best and get an education at the same time?

Capital M
04-23-09, 03:26 PM
I have a passion to be a Marine. Simple

Alisium
04-23-09, 03:32 PM
Crap. I corrected a poolee for misspelling Corps and went ahead and did it myself.

Strength
04-23-09, 04:29 PM
my big reason was for self improvement. I am in college right now and am doing fine, but I felt like ive been too lazy and need something to help get me disciplined. I am a very smart individual, but sometimes lack the motivation for success. I think the marines will help me obtain that drive for success and ultimately give me the mental strength and discipline I need to be successful in anything I do.

Convulsive
04-23-09, 04:31 PM
If you're going to do anything GO ALL OUT. Thats my opinion. It's hard to practice what I preach I'll admit that (like doing well in school for instance). Marine Corps is the best branch in my...

sbombard15
04-23-09, 05:52 PM
For as long as I can remember I have always wanted to be a Marine. I remember my grandfather talking about them like they were gods when I was very young and ever since then I knew I had to be one.

Gunner614
04-23-09, 05:55 PM

Thats not stupid, thats the exact same reason I joined.

JonH
04-23-09, 06:32 PM
I got lost on the way to college. j/k

I want to wear the uniform. Up till recently I felt like I was only doing things because other people wanted me to. My old teachers, my mom, and other adults in my life had just been telling me what to do. Going to college felt like the normal thing to do after high school, but it wasn't for me. Heck I barely made it to sophomore year in H.S. before I wanted out. It's not that I'm stupid or anything- I just wasn't interested at all. In community college I did 2 years of pot, partying, and chasing skirts on tax payer dollars and still had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and barely anything to show for it. One morning (late afternoon probably) I woke up and realized that I wanted more. I was sick of being a nasty, heinous piece of trash and I needed some discipline and direction in my life if I was ever going to be a man by my own standards.

I don't want some job I hate sitting behind a desk and letting my life just go to waste. I want to bring up my kids in a country I proudly served when I was young and able to. I want to repay this country for the past 14 years of FREE education I received (2 of those years were college I never had to pay for.) and all the other opportunities that I squandered away with my juvenile ignorance. I want to be at the tip of the spear standing ready and trained to protect my friends, family and home if another 9/11 happens (I'm a New Yorker and was a seventh grader when it happened.). I want a story to tell my grandkids, and I want an adventure in my life, but most of all I want to know that in my life I did something worth doing and didn't just spend it being a mediocre snot.

lol I want to be born again hard.

JonH
04-23-09, 06:42 PM
re-reading my post i feel i wasn't clear enough or was just rambling i guess.

I wanted to join the Marine Corps more than any other branch because I want to actually change and grow as a person. I want the pride to be able to say I'm part of the best. A lot of people I talk to that are going Army just seem too soft or too scared to join the Marines; they still have this "me first" mentality, and I've rarely seen an ex soldier grow out of it. I have met some decent soldiers, great people, but all of the former and active Marines I've seen just walk around with this "swagger" bravado and confidence. They know what they want, they're driven, unafraid, focused, and natural leaders; exactly the kind of person I hope to be.

Wes40138
04-23-09, 07:32 PM

I wanted to join the Marine Corps more than any other branch because I want to actually change and grow as a person. I want the pride to be able to say I'm part of the best. A lot of people I talk to that are going Army just seem too soft or too scared to join the Marines; they still have this "me first" mentality, and I've rarely seen an ex soldier grow out of it. I have met some decent soldiers, great people, but all of the former and active Marines I've seen just walk around with this "swagger" bravado and confidence. They know what they want, they're driven, unafraid, focused, and natural leaders; exactly the kind of person I hope to be.
Wow you totally put down my exact thoughts :thumbup:

futurepoole08
04-23-09, 08:07 PM
I wanted to join the day I saw my brothers walk across the parade deck on Parris Island back in 1997. I was seven years old at the time. I let my mother talk me out of it when I went to the recruiting office, but I found my place back in life. I was really set on it when I went and visited both of my brothers. One was at 8th & I and my other brother was at Camp Lejeune. Going to both areas made me want it even more.

Convulsive
04-23-09, 08:21 PM

very true, very true. I can't talk down about soldiers because right now they're more than I am. Im just a poolee and their actually serving our Military. Also my cousin is a soldier and some of my friends. One of my favorite MMA fighters Brian Stann was a Marine and he said

“[Being a war veteran is] the reason why I’m a successful fighter. Combat is a more complex environment than fighting. Mentally, the reason I win fights is because I can simplify a fight and not overcomplicate it. I don’t walk into that cage full of fear. I’ve been through war already. It makes fighting much, much easier…. I’m not scared of getting beat. I’m not scared of getting hurt. I’m not going to lose legs. I’m not going to lose any limbs. I’m not going to have to call one of my guy’s parents and let them know that their son is dead. It’s obviously much easier. That’s why it’s a sport. War is obviously very real. At the end of a fight, the worst thing getting hurt is my pride. Nobody is going to die.”

Marines hold themselves to a higher standard definately. Thats what sets them a part. Now i think i know what you were trying to say when you said bravado but Marines don't ever show bravado. Bravado is a false show of bravery... a bluff. Atleast in one context.:D

JWG
04-23-09, 08:45 PM
The Marine Corps shows the most pride and holds some essence of brotherhood and espirit de corps, that no other branch holds. I never had a brother growing up, my one brother died at birth and always wished I had one to look out for and grow up with.

Combination between the challenge and discipline and to join the BROTHERhood have been a big factor. Won't find the bond and "band of brothers" like in the Marine Corps anywhere else.

chadhertz
04-23-09, 09:00 PM
For as long as I can remember I have always wanted to be a Marine. I remember my grandfather talking about them like they were gods when I was very young and ever since then I knew I had to be one.

Pretty much the same here.

meallen07
04-23-09, 09:58 PM
The military always caught my interest, but I never pursued it until last year, my first year of college. I just it was all the academia that pushed me towards it. I've always wanted to do something with my life that left a mark and that I would be able to look back upon and be satisfied with.

As far as joining the Marines as opposed to other branches was pretty simple. I do not want to bash any other service because we are all in it together, but something about the Marines was clearly different. As I know now there is a lot that sets the Marine Corps apart, and I take a lot of pride in playing a very minor role in it.

So that is basically it. Simply put, I can not think of anything more worthwhile that I could do.

echo3oscar1833
04-23-09, 11:47 PM
Crap. I corrected a poolee for misspelling Corps and went ahead and did it myself.

it happens, I can think of plenty of times were a post was dicked up from being not all that sober, and I can think of a few while sober as well lol:beer:

mbrazil
04-24-09, 12:23 AM
Great thread...even if it has been done before

Basically I wanted to be part of the best, most fierce fighting force in the world. I wanted to be part of the brotherhood. I wanted one of the few and the proud.

Petz
04-24-09, 12:47 AM
<center>JUSTICE</center> Definition: Justice is defined as the practice of being fair and consistent. A just person gives consideration to each side of a situation and bases rewards or punishments on merit.
Suggestions for Improvement: Be honest with yourself about why you make a particular decision. Avoid favoritism. Try to be fair at all times and treat all things and people in an equal manner.

<center>JUDGMENT </center> Definition: Judgment is your ability to think about things clearly, calmly, and in an orderly fashion so that you can make good decisions.
Suggestions for Improvement: You can improve your judgment if you avoid making rash decisions. Approach problems with a common sense attitude.

<center>DEPENDABILITY </center> Definition: Dependability means that you can be relied upon to perform your duties properly. It means that you can be trusted to complete a job. It is the willing and voluntary support of the policies and orders of the chain of command. Dependability also means consistently putting forth your best effort in an attempt to achieve the highest standards of performance.
Suggestions for Improvement: You can increase your dependability by forming the habit of being where you're supposed to be on time, by not making excuses and by carrying out every task to the best of your ability regardless of whether you like it or agree with it.

<center>INITIATIVE </center> Definition: Initiative is taking action even though you haven't been given orders. It means meeting new and unexpected situations with prompt action. It includes using resourcefulness to get something done without the normal material or methods being available to you.
Suggestions for Improvement: To improve your initiative, work on staying mentally and physically alert. Be aware of things that need to be done and then to do them without having to be told.

<center>DECISIVENESS </center> Definition: Decisiveness means that you are able to make good decisions without delay. Get all the facts and weight them against each other. By acting calmly and quickly, you should arrive at a sound decision. You announce your decisions in a clear, firm, professional manner.
Suggestions for Improvement: Practice being positive in your actions instead of acting half-heartedly or changing your mind on an issue.

<center>TACT </center> Definition: Tact means that you can deal with people in a manner that will maintain good relations and avoid problems. It means that you are polite, calm, and firm.
Suggestions for Improvement: Begin to develop your tact by trying to be courteous and cheerful at all times. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

<center>INTEGRITY </center> Definition: Integrity means that you are honest and truthful in what you say or do. You put honesty, sense of duty, and sound moral principles above all else.
Suggestions for Improvement: Be absolutely honest and truthful at all times. Stand up for what you believe to be right.

<center>ENTHUSIASM </center> Definition: Enthusiasm is defined as a sincere interest and exuberance in the performance of your duties. If you are enthusiastic, you are optimistic, cheerful, and willing to accept the challenges.
Suggestions for Improvement: Understanding and belief in your mission will add to your enthusiasm for your job. Try to understand why even uninteresting jobs must be done.

<center>BEARING </center> Definition: Bearing is the way you conduct and carry yourself. Your manner should reflect alertness, competence, confidence, and control.
Suggestions for Improvement: To develop bearing, you should hold yourself to the highest standards of personal conduct. Never be content with meeting only the minimum requirements.

<center>UNSELFISHNESS </center> Definition: Unselfishness means that you avoid making yourself comfortable at the expense of others. Be considerate of others. Give credit to those who deserve it.
Suggestions for Improvement: Avoid using your position or rank for personal gain, safety, or pleasure at the expensive of others. Be considerate of others.

<center>COURAGE </center> Definition: Courage is what allows you to remain calm while recognizing fear. Moral courage means having the inner strength to stand up for what is right and to accept blame when something is your fault. Physical courage means that you can continue to function effectively when there is physical danger present.
Suggestions for Improvement: You can begin to control fear by practicing self-discipline and calmness. If you fear doing certain things required in your daily life, force yourself to do them until you can control your reaction.

<center>KNOWLEDGE </center> Definition: Knowledge is the understanding of a science or art. Knowledge means that you have acquired information and that you understand people. Your knowledge should be broad, and in addition to knowing your job, you should know your unit's policies and keep up with current events.
Suggestions for Improvement: Suggestions for Improvement: Increase your knowledge by remaining alert. Listen, observe, and find out about things you don't understand. Study field manuals and other military literature.

<center>LOYALTY </center> Definition: Loyalty means that you are devoted to your country, the Corps, and to your seniors, peers, and subordinates. The motto of our Corps is Semper Fidelis!, (Always Faithful). You owe unwavering loyalty up and down the chain of command, to seniors, subordinates, and peers.
Suggestions for Improvement: To improve your loyalty you should show your loyalty by never discussing the problems of the Marine Corps or your unit with outsiders. Never talk about seniors unfavorably in front of your subordinates. Once a decision is made and the order is given to execute it, carry out that order willingly as if it were your own.

<center>ENDURANCE </center> Definition: Endurance is the mental and physical stamina that is measured by your ability to withstand pain, fatigue, stress, and hardship. For example, enduring pain during a conditioning march in order to improve stamina is crucial in the development of leadership.
Suggestions for Improvement: Develop your endurance by engaging in physical training that will strengthen your body. Finish every task to the best of your ability by forcing yourself to continue when you are physically tired and your mind is sluggish.

mpellie
04-24-09, 01:29 AM
there are various reasons. For starters I was raised by a recon sniper who instilled in me a lot of values and morals that have helped me become the woman I am today. It has taken me awhile to get where I am today and be able to join the Marine Corps. I used to be on the army funeral detail and we were burying this army veteran from desert storm and basically the other NCO's fubar'd the whole thing. then they folded the flag wrong,I was on my knee telling this woman "On behalf of a grateful nation...." all while trying to fix the flag and not be too obvious about it,I cried after thinking this guy got a raw deal. I then remember not too long after seeing a Marine funeral, and these Marines executed everything perfectly,synchronized and impeccable. I realized at that moment I could not possibly fathom leave this earth with the title soldier,that I had to earn the title of Marine.

Wrestler135
04-24-09, 01:33 AM
Options & Opportunities

SeanRyan32
04-24-09, 06:27 AM
Because I'm sitting here, at age 21, at 4:04AM knowing full well that I won't wake up until 3PM. Jobless and without more than a high school education. Because for all the smart I have in my head, I haven't had the brains or discipline to get my ass in gear. I've lived off someone else for the past 21 years, and it's time for me to step up and be a man. To learn to provide for myself. And protect those who can't protect themselves. My grandfather was a father to me. He was in the Army when being in the Army meant more than school money. I want to be like him. And this is the best way I know how. I do not know how long I will remain an Active Duty Marine, but I do know this: I am who I am today because I thought it was the best choice. Now, I'm choosing the best choice.

:flag:

(Thanks for reading. It was very cathartic as I've only spoken the words, and not seen them written down.)

Wanderer
04-24-09, 06:55 AM
this is probably a common reason but what the hell, I want be a marine because I see all levels of school education as a waste of time. I want to be one of the best I want to fight for the title I want a challange that will push me forever I'm tired of sitting around and doing nothing I want to be able to say "I am a Marine!" with the real power of the words behind it. now does anyne know a recruiter I can talk to?

MarinesFTW
04-24-09, 08:09 AM
the Dress Blues :bunny: but really, its just to hard to explain, everyone knows what i mean.

Hendrix
04-24-09, 08:16 AM
Because I'm sitting here, at age 21, at 4:04AM knowing full well that I won't wake up until 3PM. Jobless and without more than a high school education. Because for all the smart I have in my head, I haven't had the brains or discipline to get my ass in gear. I've lived off someone else for the past 21 years, and it's time for me to step up and be a man. To learn to provide for myself. And protect those who can't protect themselves. My grandfather was a father to me. He was in the Army when being in the Army meant more than school money. I want to be like him. And this is the best way I know how. I do not know how long I will remain an Active Duty Marine, but I do know this: I am who I am today because I thought it was the best choice. Now, I'm choosing the best choice.

(Thanks for reading. It was very cathartic as I've only spoken the words, and not seen them written down.)

I feel the same way. I have been raised by my grandfather, a 22 year veteran of the Air Force with 2 tours in 'Nam. He didn't do it for money or to look cool, he did it to serve his country and he tries to instill these values in me as well.

He supports my decision to join the Marine Corps, but is also against it, saying that the military is not what it used to be and that many serving don't join for the right reasons. But, as I said, he supports me and said he is extremely proud after telling him my reasons.

0231Marine
04-24-09, 08:34 AM
This is a great thread and I get a kick out of reading these.

The funny thing about boot camp is you'll be able to see this change occur throughout the entire training cycle and you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish when you put your mind to it. At least if you go to San Diego. They have it really easy at P.I. and they'll graduate just about anyone :)

Shippingsoon
04-24-09, 11:19 AM

The funny thing about boot camp is you'll be able to see this change occur throughout the entire training cycle and you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish when you put your mind to it. At least if you go to San Diego. They have it really easy at P.I. and they'll graduate just about anyone :)
OH THANK GOD!
:devious:

I joined to become a Hollywood Marine, but they're sending me to PI anyway, hahaha.... Just kidding, don't beat up the Poolee...

I got laid off, didn't have a full college degree and wanted to partake in something that would both make me a better human being and provide the tools (tangible and otherwise) that'll allow me to make a life for myself after the Corps.

Pandza03
04-24-09, 11:33 AM
I never could really put my finger on it. I was born during the war in Bosnia and moved to the US at 3 years of age due to the war and the shelling in my town getting worse and worse. I always showed interest in the military and my whole family knew it. After many years of doing research online, checking out every Marine Corps book in my schools library, that was my decision. At age 14 I started talking to a recruiter and now at age 15 there is nothing that is going to get in my way on my path to bcomming a Marine. No other branch caught my eye. The discipline, the honor...The Title! I can't wait.

JonH
04-24-09, 12:29 PM

Amen.

MattNC
04-24-09, 01:38 PM
Well, throughout high school, I haven't put forth a whole lot of effort. I mean I did with sports teams and in my AP government and politics class, because I was interested and had the motivation to do so. I scored high on the SAT, but because of my lack of trying, my GPA was just average. I never really knew what I wanted to do after school. My options basically were: Be like everyone else and go to Wake Tech, get a job, or go to the military. Well, at 17 I was getting calls from the Army, National Guard, Navy and Air Force. None really appealed to be, as they offered a lot of money, and a bright and shiny future. Sounded to me like just anybody could join, and I simply just didn't believe half of it. Well Sometime last September I got a call from a Marine recruiter. Didn't promise me anything, or paint any pretty pictures. We met for lunch and talked for a while. Basically everything about the Marine Corps appealed to me. The camaraderie, the teamwork, the traveling abroad, the physical aspect of it, the fact that people didn't just do this for the money or for themselves. The fact that the few who do choose to walk this path, do it for something bigger than themselves. The fact that they put their life on the line, to preserve what we as Americans hold so dearly; freedom. Thats the day it hit me, I knew what I wanted to do with my future; I wanted to become a United States Marine.

bekster2008
04-24-09, 01:49 PM
I joined because I don't want things given to me, I want to be a part of something, not just this elite and small community but a part of helping with this war in any way I can. I joined so that I would NOT be a statistic, the statistic of a teen druggie, teen pregnancy, freshman fifteen in college, or an 18 year old college student in debt already even though they have good grades. Whether people like it or not it was my choice and the others on this forums choice to be a part of the beloved Corps, you either have it in you or you don't and one thing bad about that is if you don't pursue a dream such as being in the Marines and you listen to the negative people around you, then it will hurt all the more worse when you start to regret not joining and those people have all left you in 10 years or less.

GavinL91
04-24-09, 06:41 PM

The funny thing about boot camp is you'll be able to see this change occur throughout the entire training cycle and you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish when you put your mind to it. At least if you go to San Diego. They have it really easy at P.I. and they'll graduate just about anyone :)Thank God!

nrml1
04-25-09, 01:57 AM
I haven't DEP'ed in but my reasons for wanting to become a Marine are simple but many, however they are all pretty well summed up with the following:

I am 25 years old, married, one child. I have had many jobs, I have done absolutely nothing in my life to say that I have 'accomplished' something. If I die right now I will leave this world as an average human being, my son will not have a legacy to look forward (or back?) to just as I didn't have a legacy to follow growing up.

As of this moment in time, I have no purpose in life other than taking care of my family.

I want to become a Marine for one reason and one reason only: Purpose.

Drill for life
04-25-09, 07:47 AM
It's simple for me God want's me to be a US Marine.

sparkie
04-25-09, 09:53 AM
http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2007/12-18/drill18merc_1_400.jpg

Take a good look, fellas,,,,,,,,,:cry:

GavinL91
04-25-09, 01:01 PM

Take a good look, fellas,,,,,,,,,:cry:when this pick popped up i had to turn of my screen in fear.(What MCRD is this from?)

dribbler
04-25-09, 03:18 PM
im here to wreck ****. get some.

sparkie
04-25-09, 03:46 PM
when this pick popped up i had to turn of my screen in fear.(What MCRD is this from?)

But those arches look spanish,,,I'd guess MCRDSD.

Wanderer
04-25-09, 11:15 PM
the guy up front looks mexican

Petz
04-26-09, 08:22 AM
wanderer... what the fvck does that have to do with a god damn thing?!!!! he's a 1st Sgt of Marine Drill Instructors... you aren't sh!t!!!

shut the fvck up kid before I kick your teeth in you racist b!tch.

Wanderer
04-26-09, 11:28 AM
sorry. I meant nothing disrespetcful or raciast by it, I'm sorry if it apeared that way to you and wil make sure never mention race again. sorry again I really meant nothing of the sort at all.

garyrowe
04-26-09, 12:16 PM
I quit HS to join, Im only 17 and already almost through MOS, and almost in the fleet. The Marine Corps is my life, but I still plan on going to college. I joined for pretty much every reason you all have already said. Just keep your head up Poolee's and you'll make it....probably. :evilgrin:

garyrowe
04-26-09, 12:21 PM
1 2 3 here I come with the wicked! I love COLD

Petz
04-26-09, 12:25 PM
WTF are you talking about....

GavinL91
04-26-09, 01:39 PM
I quit HS to join, Im only 17 and already almost through MOS, and almost in the fleet. The Marine Corps is my life, but I still plan on going to college. I joined for pretty much every reason you all have already said. Just keep your head up Poolee's and you'll make it....probably. :evilgrin:i thought you had to graduate to join?:!:

Petz
04-26-09, 02:09 PM
they only accepted 3% of poolees that didn't have HS diplomas.

sparkie
04-26-09, 02:12 PM

All I saw was Marine Corps Green, and a drinkin buddy. :evilgrin:

nrml1
04-26-09, 05:47 PM

Take a good look, fellas,,,,,,,,,:cry:

Well Sergeant, if it is necessary for me to [attempt] go through 20 of them to earn the title and achieve my goal, so be it.

Petz
04-26-09, 11:39 PM
haha, like bowling... your EGA in on the other side there poolee!! haha.

Alisium
04-27-09, 12:02 AM
Marine Corps. Corps. Watch the spelling.

And I was pretty much in the same boat. I decided around five years old and still to this day don't know why. Just always wanted to be.

And because I didn't want to be this....

http://www.armystrongstories.com/userfiles/image/Beals/17%20FEB%203%20web.jpg

0231Marine
04-27-09, 07:29 AM

Easily the dumbest comment ever on this site. I realize you've recanted you statement but I'm interested to know what exactly you meant by saying this?

0231Marine
04-27-09, 07:31 AM
1 2 3 here I come with the wicked! I love COLD

WTF? Stupid boot!

jacobkilgore
04-27-09, 11:03 AM
As I see people walking down the street or driving past in their car, what are they looking for? Where
are they going? Why are they doing what they are doing?. If you ask me I would say they only live
because they were raised that way by their parents. I see people living to live, I know that you haven't
seen this lately of me but I am a changing person, we are all given the ability to change, it's the choice
that we make that affects that ability. A Decision now affects the question down the road.
You don't know a person until you actually start talking to someone but before that event happens you'll
be basically judging a book by it's cover, for an Example if you see me walking down the street you'll
ask your self Where am I going, why am I doing what i'm doing, what am I looking for? Before asking
all these questions to me, you must know my past. I've been through childhood full of physical abuse
from my dad, and mental abuse from my mother, and still occasionally getting abuse because she
refuse to talk to me, when she does she doesn't talk in a respectful tone/attitude. I was constantly
moving between members from my aunt, grandmother, my other aunt, my uncle, my other uncle, and
my mom. My mom & Dad are both still involved in drugs, I can actually say I lived in the ghetto
before (bad sides of Columbus, and Compton) I can actually say I lived in the Rich parts of town
(Malibu, Riverside) I have moved 9 times in the past 6 years. I have been burned by my dads cigarettes
and sliced with a knife by dad's anger. For many years I thought the life I was living was my fault, but
then until I heard the stories of Marines, until I met the best friend that I have. I now know that my life
isn't the best, but I see things that other people do not. I believe in the quote “Know thy self & Seek
self-improvement” I know my self, it's about this time that I seek self-improvement. I believe that the
Marines can be the family that I never had, life is to short for me to live my life in depression, I am
trying to change my life, trying to remember my past as motivation to continue to be a better person. I
believe that the Marines can help tremendously in changing in the person I want to be. What does
earning the Title of a Marine mean to me? It means receiving the ultimate respect, honor, and proving
to everyone that I have the courage, the will, the soul, & heart to be a Marine.

Pandza03
04-27-09, 11:31 AM
Wow. Is that a quote or was that off the top of your head?
If so holy **** man those are some profound words and I respect you for that.

jacobkilgore
04-27-09, 11:35 AM
It's Why i want to be a Marine.
Wrote it for my recruiter who asked me the same question.

So i just copy and paste...

Thank You Pandza03 for your Respect I gladly accept it.

nrml1
04-27-09, 12:25 PM
haha, like bowling... your EGA in on the other side there poolee!! haha.

lol classic Staff Sergeant

Equipped Possum
04-27-09, 01:33 PM
For the uniform :)

euphfmc
04-27-09, 02:26 PM
Because I wante to join the military to serve my country...and I didn't want to do it half-assed. That left one choice. :usmc:

Rains
04-27-09, 03:28 PM
I joined because I want to serve my Country, kill the enemy, and be in the roughest, toughest, and most disciplined branch of the U.S Armed Forces.

GavinL91
04-27-09, 08:51 PM
As I see people walking down the street or driving past in their car, what are they looking for? Where
are they going? Why are they doing what they are doing?. If you ask me I would say they only live
because they were raised that way by their parents. I see people living to live, I know that you haven't
seen this lately of me but I am a changing person, we are all given the ability to change, it's the choice
that we make that affects that ability. A Decision now affects the question down the road.
You don't know a person until you actually start talking to someone but before that event happens you'll
be basically judging a book by it's cover, for an Example if you see me walking down the street you'll
ask your self Where am I going, why am I doing what i'm doing, what am I looking for? Before asking
all these questions to me, you must know my past. I've been through childhood full of physical abuse
from my dad, and mental abuse from my mother, and still occasionally getting abuse because she
refuse to talk to me, when she does she doesn't talk in a respectful tone/attitude. I was constantly
moving between members from my aunt, grandmother, my other aunt, my uncle, my other uncle, and
my mom. My mom & Dad are both still involved in drugs, I can actually say I lived in the ghetto
before (bad sides of Columbus, and Compton) I can actually say I lived in the Rich parts of town
(Malibu, Riverside) I have moved 9 times in the past 6 years. I have been burned by my dads cigarettes
and sliced with a knife by dad's anger. For many years I thought the life I was living was my fault, but
then until I heard the stories of Marines, until I met the best friend that I have. I now know that my life
isn't the best, but I see things that other people do not. I believe in the quote “Know thy self & Seek
self-improvement” I know my self, it's about this time that I seek self-improvement. I believe that the
Marines can be the family that I never had, life is to short for me to live my life in depression, I am
trying to change my life, trying to remember my past as motivation to continue to be a better person. I
believe that the Marines can help tremendously in changing in the person I want to be. What does
earning the Title of a Marine mean to me? It means receiving the ultimate respect, honor, and proving
to everyone that I have the courage, the will, the soul, & heart to be a Marine.Thats deep man,its people like you that me proud to want to join the corps,and happy to know people want to join for the right reasons.:thumbup:

GavinL91
04-27-09, 08:54 PM
And because I didn't want to be this....

http://www.armystrongstories.com/userfiles/image/Beals/17%20FEB%203%20web.jpgNoooo,not the army,noooooooooooo......I need a Marine,I NEED A MARINE!

PoolieAhrens
04-27-09, 10:59 PM
I'm almost in a similar situation as you Jacobkilgore. I've experinced some pretty messed up S*** myself from my parents. And as of now I'm kind of a nomad waiting until boot camp. Staying with random friends for a few nights at a time. I just continue staying focused on what I want and know I only have a few more weeks of crap to go through until I'll be able to finally start the life I've always wanted. I look at all the things I've been through and see them as experinces that will help prepare me for boot.

I also chose to join the Marines because if I don't make the Marines a career I wanted to get into Kidnapping and Human Traficing. It's a subject close to me, so I wanted to be a part of the solution and take down the people responsible for comiting such crimes. And with out a doubt will the Marines be the best form of training.

Petz
04-28-09, 12:33 AM
see, the army stand in formation with their hands in front of them twiddling their thumbs....

Wyoming
04-28-09, 12:45 AM
I joined because I want to serve my Country, kill the enemy, and be in the roughest, toughest, and most disciplined branch of the U.S Armed Forces.

Rains, I told you when the buddy request came up, as I have told all wannabes that requested, that if you **** up and **** me off, I will let you know.

Well, you ****ed me off.

What is this **** about killing the enemy?

You ever had nightmares?

You little ****ing dip, nightmares suck!!

SeanRyan32
04-28-09, 01:06 AM
I wanted to get into Kidnapping and Human Traficing.

The first time I read that, I thought you meant YOU kidnapping.

sparkie
04-28-09, 07:21 AM
Gee, I joined to meet nice fellas,,,,,,,,,,,,

Rains
04-28-09, 12:53 PM
Rains, I told you when the buddy request came up, as I have told all wannabes that requested, that if you **** up and **** me off, I will let you know.

Well, you ****ed me off.

What is this **** about killing the enemy?

You ever had nightmares?

You little ****ing dip, nightmares suck!!

I apologize for offending you Cpl.

but it is my choice to want to go to war and fight.
I know that you know what you are talking about, saying it is a nightmare, and I am not saying you are wrong because you have been through it and know more then I.
But I want to go fight and kill the people who attacked my country.

So, thats that, Ill be a ****ing dip.

KawiGunny
04-28-09, 01:13 PM
For the uniform :)

Another one wanting to join for the wrong reasons. Go join the Salvation Army, they will give you a uniform.

Gnetics
04-28-09, 04:28 PM
The reasons I wanted to join the Marine Corps are a few. When I was around 12 we were driving by a Bus stop as I saw a newly made Marine fresh back from the Depot, at that stoplight. I witnessed one of the most moving moments I will ever remember his mother? running towards him and the Look in her eyes seeing her Marine back. From that point on I was always wanting to learn more about the Marines. Coming from Mexican family I have always been educated that family comes first and to be glad I was born in the US and to value the opportunities that have been given to me since birth. I decided I wanted to defend my country from any and all enemies, and also as a way of trying to repay all it has done and the opportunities given to me and my family. I also want to better myself also and I feel the Marine Corps will show me the way. The benefits of the United States Marine Corps are many, I only hope I can live up to its standards, serve proudly for myself and family and soon be able to earn and call Myself a United States Marine...:flag:

P.s. I still remember the Morning of 9/11 and watching it live on the news, being angry and not being able to do anything about it. Well i am a little older now and have a chance to defend my country I will do it without hesitation.:mad:

PoolieAhrens
04-28-09, 04:56 PM
I guess I did word it alittle weird. But there's alot of sicko's out there that do that s*** right here in the US. Happend to my best friends little sister. She's ok now. But the stories I've heard and the more reaserch I've done about it, the more I realized how serious it is, and there isn't that many people in the field of human traficing. There's alot of kidnaping units, but alot of people don't have the resources or knowledge of sex slaves and what not. But like I said earlier if I don't pursue that as a career I plan on retiring in the Marines.

Petz
04-29-09, 01:14 AM
one... why are you only at one pull-up?

two... ask a mod to fix your name

reallybigshoe
04-29-09, 01:19 PM
That is my reason.

I will be a Marine because the toughest, strongest, best man I have ever known was in Guadalcanal making sure I could grow up as a fat body playing Halo and watching porno on the internet. He was the only one in my life to ever show me how to be a man, and the man I have by far the most respect for.

He told me he joined the Marines because when the draft started he sure as hell wasn't going to be a part of any sissy branch - he was going to kill Japs. I lived with him the last 2 years of his life. He had an undiagnosed broken back (multiple fractures) but other than a grimace when he moved you'd never discern a complaint out of him.

He never got any medals, or on TV, or anything like that. He just loved his wife, was a deacon in his church, and worked hard until it was time to quit. I talked with an old lady who knew him a few months ago. We bumped into her at random at the lake house he had bought the family. She told me that he had known him for years and that he was a quiet, strong man - the strongest she'd ever known.

That's why I will be a Marine.

thezero
05-01-09, 10:47 AM
The question is "Why do you want to be a Marine?"

My answer is simple yet complicated at the same time. Since I was little I have wanted to be a Marine, to be like my father. Even though we bull **** all the time I have a lot of respect for him.

More recently, I have been looking and keeping tabs on the general idea of the world and economy and such. I have thought of going to college first then enlist in the Marines in order to become an officer but instead of going to college before hand I want to become Active Duty and earn a steady paycheck twice a month, with a MOS that can transfer out to the civilian world and I can earn a lot of money if I decide to not stay in the Corps for 20+ years if I make it.

So I do have my reasons outside of the title, Eagle Globe and Anchor, the pride and the dress blues. Even though those are quite bad ass and enough reason to join.

Shick019
05-01-09, 07:43 PM
Well, this very question was posed to me by my English teacher, and I was given one night to write an essay on it. This is what I came up with. It's a quick brainstorm and write up, so it's not completely developed or that grammatically perfected, but its my thoughts on it.

Why A Marine?
“Why become a Marine?”, “Why put your life on the line?”, these are the questions I am constantly being asked when I tell people that I am enlisting in the United States Marine Corps. Some people think it is because it is a stable job, because I cannot afford college, because I am not good at anything else. But to me, there are three main reasons I want to be a Marine. I want to be a Marine because of the tradition of military service in my family, The Marine Corps’ Core Values, and the pride of the Marine Corps and being a Marine.

It has been a tradition for most of the men, and even some of the women, in my family to serve in the United States military. My father had the most influence on me joining the service, he served 22-years in the US Navy, and retired as a Senior Chief Petty Officer, the second-to-last enlisted rank in the Navy. There is also, my uncle who served in the Air Force, my aunt who served in the Army Registered Nurse Corps, my Papa (my grandpa on my mother’s side of the family) who served in the Army and the Army National Guard, my Papap (my grandpa on my father’s side of the family) who served in the Army National Guard, and my great uncle who served in the Air Force. There’s even records of one of my family members serving in the Union Army during the Civil War. My family has a long record of those who have served in the military, but there has yet to be a Marine.

On top of my military family, there are aspects of the Marine Corps that have influenced my want to be a Marine, including, and especially, the United States Marine Corps’ Core Values. The Core Values are honor, courage, and commitment. The Marines describe the value of honor as, “Marines are held to the highest standards, ethically and morally. Respect for others is essential. Marines are expected to act responsibly in a manner befitting the title they’ve earned.” (USMC) To me this means honoring yourself, your family, your friends, your country, the Marines before you, with you, and after you, and most of all the Marine Corps. The Marines describe the value of courage as, “Courage is not the absence of fear. It is the ability to face fear and overcome it. It is the mental, moral, and physical strength ingrained in every Marine. It steadies them in times of stress, carries them through every challenge, and aids them in facing new and unknown challenges.” (USMC) To me this means doing what is right for your country and Corps even in the face of fear and danger. The Marines describe the value of commitment as, “Commitment is the spirit of determination and dedication found in every Marine. It is what compels Marines to serve our country and the Corps. Every aspect of life in the Corps shows commitment, from the high standard of excellence to vigilance in training.” (USMC) To me this means committing every bit of your being to being a good Marine and serving your country and Corps with every ounce of life you have in you. The Core Values are what drive Marines to success and accomplishment.

The Core Values only serve to add to why I want to be a Marine, the biggest reason is the pride of the Marine Corps and being a Marine. The pride comes from many different aspects of the Marine Corps. Some of these are from the Marines themselves, some were given to them. There is pride in being, “The Tip of the Spear,” or the first to serve and fight for the country. There is pride in being “The Few, and the Proud.” Because of the intense requirements to join and stay in the Marine Corps, the Marines are the smallest of the services, which instills great pride in the those men and women, who have been Marines, are Marines, and will soon be Marines. There is pride in the nicknames bestowed upon the Marines. The Marines are called “Jarheads,” because of the Marines’ instant obedience to orders. The Marines are called “Leathernecks,” because of the uniforms that the Marines once wore. But the one that most Marines are very proud to be called, and motivated by, is “Devil Dogs,” given to them by the Germans during World War I because of the ferocity in the way the Marines fought at Belleau Woods. But most pride comes from the Marines being deeply embedded in tradition and history. Every Marine knows the famous battles of the Marines, and the famous Marines of old. Every Marine unit participates in the tradition of celebrating the Marine Corps Birthday on November 10<SUP>th</SUP> with a Marine Corps Ball every year. And, every Marine still follows the rules of Customs and Courtesies that have been around for centuries now. There is a plethora of pride and patriotism that comes from being a Marine.

This should be more than enough to answer those questions of “Why?”, that I always receive. Why I want to join the Marine Corps is as simple as pride and patriotism. But the main reasons that I want to serve my country in the Marine Corps is because of the tradition of service in my family, the Core Values followed by each and every Marine, and the pride of the Marines.

Works Cited:<O:p</O:p
U.S. Marine Corps, "U.S. Marine Corps - Core Values". 8APR2009 http://www.marines.com/main/index/making_marines/culture/traditions/core_values.

If any Marine notices any incorrect info, I apologize.

BamaBot91291
05-01-09, 08:52 PM
There is no reason why anyone would'nt want to join the Corps. My Dad served with them in the Navy and said he would'nt go into a Firefight without them, my Granddad (who died in the Bataan Death March), my Uncle, 2 of my cousins (who are currently in Iraq), my Friend's Brother (oki), my Neighbors and my UPS guy, all Marines. I myself am planning on being a Marine by next year.

I don't want to be "A certain kind of Strong", I want this :usmc:.

sparkie
05-01-09, 09:00 PM
You guys are breakin my heart,,,,,,,,, I see some long dead buddies in you,,,,,,,,

kfisbusy
05-30-09, 12:15 AM
As a old D.I. myself I do not belive you can make it in my MARINE CORPS. Stay in school and learn to grow up. Then maybe the army will let join them. Myself I know you won"t make bootcamp. in my Crops. S.Sgt Francisco.

Rotella
05-30-09, 05:24 AM
In all of America's offered lifestyles, both civillian and military, I have found nothing more appealing than being a US Marine. Some of my friends respect my decision and some think I'm crazy, and neither opinions matter. I'm fully commited to my choice and painstakingly await my opportunity to become a Marine. Poetic, I know, but all truth.

Hendrix
05-31-09, 10:18 AM
As a old D.I. myself I do not belive you can make it in my MARINE CORPS. Stay in school and learn to grow up. Then maybe the army will let join them. Myself I know you won"t make bootcamp. in my Crops. S.Sgt Francisco.

Who is this directed at, sir?

kfisbusy
06-02-09, 08:55 AM
:evilgrin:
Who is this directed at, sir?
Listern this was ment for you. one thing I am not a sir all you will call your D.I. sir in bootcamp. after that the only ones call sir is the ones that is wearing the bars and stars. I am a s.sgt. retired. from my U.S.M.C. . Learn before you try to become a MARINE OK. good luck let me know if you make it.

Hendrix
06-03-09, 11:33 AM
:evilgrin:
Listern this was ment for you. one thing I am not a sir all you will call your D.I. sir in bootcamp. after that the only ones call sir is the ones that is wearing the bars and stars. I am a s.sgt. retired. from my U.S.M.C. . Learn before you try to become a MARINE OK. good luck let me know if you make it.

SSgt, I did not know what rank to call you as it was not in your avatar, nor in your profile. I am not going to dictate the site rules to you as you are a Marine, I will let those who have earned the title tell you the rule about filling out your profile.

0231Marine
06-03-09, 11:38 AM
He has a point SSgt (?). Your profile says you're an E-1 since the early 70's and you're still in service. You can't jump down the kids throat for calling you Sir as a sign of respect since you were unable to follow the rules on the site.

Hendrix
06-03-09, 11:41 AM
And with all due respect SSgt, I will prove you wrong. Give me a phone number, and in a couple years you will be getting a call from a boot Marine.

sbombard15
06-03-09, 05:21 PM
And with all due respect SSgt, I will prove you wrong. Give me a phone number, and in a couple years you will be getting a call from a boot Marine.

I would like your number to.

GavinL91
06-03-09, 07:45 PM
SSgt, I did not know what rank to call you as it was not in your avatar, nor in your profile. I am not going to dictate the site rules to you as you are a Marine, I will let those who have earned the title tell you the rule about filling out your profile.whooaa,its gettin a lil hot in here aint it.;)

Petz
06-03-09, 09:34 PM
SSgt, I did not know what rank to call you as it was not in your avatar, nor in your profile. I am not going to dictate the site rules to you as you are a Marine, I will let those who have earned the title tell you the rule about filling out your profile.

sounds to me like you are dictating to him that he's all fvcked up....

even though you are right sometimes it's best to shut the fvck up and let a Marine come in and fix it... we are everywhere and we see all... and when we don't there is always ellie who swoops in for the kill.

Hendrix
06-03-09, 10:36 PM
You are correct, SSgt.

And SBombard15, my number or the SSgt's number?