PDA

View Full Version : Differences in Infantry MOS pertaining to deployements

RyanD21
04-22-09, 02:17 PM
Hello Marines, usually do a lot of lurking around on here not much posting at all, Im signing my contract next Friday May 1st for reserves, and will be going for an Infantry MOS, which i have to decide on, I'm really interested in knowing the difference between being a machinegunner 0331 and rifleman 0311. As far as when in country and on patroles, and what not. I would love some insight on basically the diferences in these 2 MOS's as far as what there day to day life is like. And anything that may help make my decision a little easier.

I know im sort of putting the cariage before the horse i gota get through boot camp first, but since i have to pick before i leave, any insight would be greatly apreciated!

Alisium
04-22-09, 02:43 PM
Well you're in luck. I have an answer for you.

First, in most cases you don't get to choose your specific MOS. You can chose 03XX and then based on the needs of the Marine Corps you'll become what they need you to be. There are always exceptions and new rules, you'll find out for sure in May.

In the grand scheme of the Marine Corps there really isn't much difference between an 0311 and an 0331. An 11 is your basic infantry type and a 31 is a machine gunner. Both MOS's are organic to a line infantry company.

In each company you have three line platoons comprised mostly of 0311's and one weapons platoon made of 0331's (machine gunners), 0341's (mortar men) and 0351 (Infantry Assultment or SMAW gunners, also the defacto demo experts).

When we train at the company level we all train together and more often than not sections of the weapons platoon will break off to augment regular platoon elements. But, the overall purpose for the weapons platoons is to support the regular line platoons during the various missions on the company level.

We all also deploy together.

Day in the life of an 0311: (I was an 0311 in C 1/4 there is another Marine here that was an 0331 in C 1/4 so I'll let him tell you about life as a machine gunner).

There are basically two modes of life. In the rear or out in the field.

In the rear, you wake up about 0530, do your morning clean up, go eat chow and usually get ready for a Morning formation about 0730 and usually that's a pt formation.

We usually PT'd untill 10 -1030ish, went cleand up then did whatever it was we were supposed to do. Usually go to the armory and clean weapons. We also had classes and did admin stuff. SOme times there are formations several times a day, inspections, small unit tactics training, clean your gear and so forth. There is a lot you will find yourself doing.

Usually by 1630 or 1730 you're off. And most weekends you'll have off unless you get duty in the barracks.

We usually spent 10 days to two weeks a month out in the field. That almost always started with a hump to wherever we were going (usually range 401). Leave by 0730 and a few hours later were 12 - 15 miles down the road.

There are so many things you do out in field and it's kind of hard to explain. We work our infantry tactics, obviously. Sometimes we do company assaults or work on the platoon level or even as individual fire teams. There is never time off. Only down time when you can catch a nap here or there. We work at night, during the day, and even on the weekends. You'll do some cool live fire exercises, lots of dry runs before hand. Patrol (usually at night). Work in on different mission types for urban areas in mock cities.

Depending on which company your in, you could find yourself out in the ocean assaulting red beach in an AAV or Zodiac. If you're luckly you get to fly in helicopters. Each battalion has three line infantry companies that focus on three different means of transportation. There are boat companies (zodiacs), track companies (AAV's) and the coolest, helo companies (which I was in).

Based on that you train differently. There are also different MOS's in an infantry battalion {of which a line company is a part. There are three line companies and one weapons company (with bigger guns!)}. And there are also other infantry units like Light Armored Reconnaissance (LAR, I also did this). All of which have 0300 MOS's that you can end up in.

Hope that's a good start. That really only scratches the surface so if this prompts any specific questions I'd be delighted to answer or point you in the right direction. Hopefully Pete0331 checks in and gives you the skinny on being a heavy gunner.

Here is a link with a list and description for Infantry MOS's. (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/03.htm)

RyanD21
04-22-09, 03:27 PM
Wow thank you that is certainly a wealth of information, however i will be enlisting as a reservist, not active duty, so a good portion of that i'm assuming (not sure) may or may not apply to me, except on my 1 weekend a month. As far as picking an infantry MOS I know its of needs of the corps but I was pretty sure my recruiter told me when you sign reserves you have a guarenteed MOS or maybe just a guarenteed MOS field, either way im not to concerned, i gues i will cross that bridge when i get to it, when you are deployed whats the day to day life like as far as 0311 overseas.

rvillac2
04-22-09, 03:54 PM
Yes, your recruiter is correct. When you sign into the reserves, your exact MOS is assigned to you. This is because you're filling in a specific slot in the unit's TOE.

RyanD21
04-22-09, 04:00 PM
Thank you for clearing that up, i do beleive the list comes out in july or june for what the reserves need, so ill have to decide by then

Alisium
04-22-09, 04:12 PM
Well in that case...

I was a reservist with 4th LAR. Which unit are you planning on joining?