PDA

View Full Version : MEPS hearing test

DHart
04-22-09, 07:01 AM
Hello, I'm going in this Friday to sign but I am curious about the MEPS hearing test. Right now I have a constant ringing in my ears from hunting/shooting/loud music and I'm not sure if I'll pass the hearing test. I can hear rather well, but my ears ring in complete silence. If I'm not around anything loud for a while it seems to get better.

My question is how hard is this test to pass and should I even worry about it?

Should I tell my recruiter about this or is it somthing that I don't need to tell him?

JMReynolds111
04-22-09, 07:14 AM
It's really not that hard, I went in with a group of about 8 people in the same room and we all got perfect score, the way I look at it, you have 2 days till MEPs. Your ringing should stop, just don't go shooting till then, and when you listen to music don't blare it especially if it's earplugs, that will damage your hearing more then the shooting. You should be fine though.

When you start the test, take slow breaths so you can hear it better.

0231Marine
04-22-09, 07:20 AM
What? I can't read your post because my music is too loud.

Well, turn that sh!t down poolee! Ever hear of earplugs when you're shooting? (No pun intended) Guess what, they work!

Just try and refrain from blasting Bullet For My Valentine or Slipknot at 130 decibles for the next two days and you should be alright. If it's a lingering ringing after that, then go see a doctor.

DHart
04-22-09, 07:35 AM
Well, I'm not sure just how fast, or if completly, it will go away. I work in a noisy factory and when i get home my ears are ringing kinda bad. But by the end of the weekend if I don't go to the bars my ears seem to get better as the days go by.

haha, yes, I've heard of earplugs but a while staring down the barrel of a 12 gauge at a 10 point buck, you don't have anytime to put earplugs in unfortunately or i wouldn't have this problem.

I'm planing on seeing my doctor after I sign to get a regular checkup and discuss some other problems that I may need a waiver for so I'll ask him what he thinks about how bad my hearing is and if theres anything to do about it.

NoRemorse
04-22-09, 07:39 AM
...my question is how hard is this test to pass and should I even worry about it...

Did you study?

sparkie
04-22-09, 07:56 AM
What did he say?

Rocky C
04-22-09, 08:17 AM
What? I can't read your post because my music is too loud.

Well, turn that sh!t down poolee! Ever hear of earplugs when you're shooting? (No pun intended) Guess what, they work!

Just try and refrain from blasting Bullet For My Valentine or Slipknot at 130 decibles for the next two days and you should be alright. If it's a lingering ringing after that, then go see a doctor.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!:D
EXACTLEY !!!!

Rocky

Capital M
04-22-09, 10:25 AM
What? I can't read your post because my music is too loud

Haha Corporal, this post reminded me of one friday night in high school my best friend, well, let's just say "was not in his right mind." And on the ride home kept yelling "Turn the lights on, I can't breathe." Couldn't help but reminisce upon reading that.

BigGunz90
04-22-09, 10:56 AM
but a while staring down the barrel of a 12 gauge at a 10 point buck

Deer season is in November man. And why are you shooting a buck with a 12 gauge? I suggest a rifle, unless you're using slugs.

But that's beside the point.

Artemis
04-22-09, 11:12 AM
What did he say?

That is just all those uncounted birthdays catching up with you sparkie.

mbrazil
04-22-09, 12:35 PM
Did you study?

lol, classic...

DHart: If your factory is loud then buy ear plugs. Theyre 10 bucks for a box and you wont be deaf anymore.

And if you think you need a waiver for something better get that **** squared away BEFORE you go to MEPS. It took me a month to get 1 waiver and I had to go BACK to MEPS and do it all over again. Ask your recruiter if you think you need a waiver for something. The last thing you want is to get dq'd for something stupid.

Quinbo
04-22-09, 05:34 PM
All I can say is be proactive. While on active duty and you fail a hearing test or are marginal on a hearing test you are instructed to not listen to any loud anything and wear ear plugs as much as possible, then retake the hearing test. If you can stand to sleep with them in your ears (I can't) then do so. If you are working in a high noise environment that might possibly damage your hearing then OSHA demands that your employer provide ear plugs and under most circumstances mandate that you wear them. Grab a handful and wear them as much as possible before the hearing test.

Keep yourself in a noise free environment as much as possible and you should be just fine on the hearing test.

goodtimes
04-22-09, 11:23 PM
I carry ear pro on my key chain (the two sided ones with green and yellow). I pop them on in a movie or at the range. I get funny looks but when I went to MEPS, even at the age of 25, I had better hearing than any of the 17 to 22 year olds because I don't listen to that damn rap music and I take care of my hearing just as much as I take care of my fiber intake.

Kildars
04-23-09, 06:17 AM
People take their hearing for granted. I have hearing loss in my right ear and it prevented me from joining the Corps. I get disgusted when I hear these people blasting their music in their cars that you can hear from a mile away. You just don't realize what you have until you lose it, I guess.

The hearing test is rather simple, you sit in a room and listen for beeps and push a button when you hear the beeps.

0231Marine
04-23-09, 07:13 AM
I blast the music in my car but it's because I have hearing damage from too many IEDs, mortars, JDAM's and SMAW's going off in Ramadi for 4 years. I couldn't hear it if it was turned down low to save my life.

TXSRT
04-23-09, 04:52 PM
I went to MEPS on Tuesday for my physical and unfortunately, I failed the hearing test. I had a feeling right then that I was going to be DQ'd, especially when the guy running the test wouldn't break anything down for me other than I failed and that it would be up to the Marines to determine what would happen. When I got through, I went and found one of the Gunnery Sergeants that was in the liaison office and spoke with him. Luckily for me, I was informed that I would have to come back for a hearing consult. I was only a few points below the minimums on a couple of frequencies.

The advice that Sgt. Bulkyker gave is spot on to what I was told I needed to do by the Gunny I spoke with. I'm hoping and praying that wearing my range ear protection the day before will heighten my hearing enough allow me to pass.

I honestly never thought too much about my hearing and the fact that it may have declined over the years. All I know is that listening to my music too loud, working in a loud shop environment for the last 5 years and my love of shooting guns would come back to bite me in the ass. I go back on Monday for my consult.

Good luck with everything!

boblasek
04-23-09, 06:58 PM
I don't know exactly what i got on my hearing test but I know its wasn't perfect. For me it was kinda hard as I could hear what was going on outside and could hear people talking. during the test i couldn't concentrate on the very low high pitched noises and outside noise, but i passed nonetheless.