PDA

View Full Version : Students gung ho for their adopted Marine

thedrifter
04-22-09, 06:38 AM
Posted on Wed, Apr. 22, 2009
Students gung ho for their adopted Marine
By Jake Jacobs

LeeAnn Cladin’s fourth grade class at Hilltop Elementary in Warner Robins last week got to meet their adopted son: Cpl. Maxwell Mendenhall of the U.S. Marine Corps.

The Keokuk, Iowa, native was fresh from Iraq, where he served 215 days as a member of the 1st Maintenance Battalion-Reinforcement. He returned toward the end of March in California, and was wrapping up his leave time by making a special visit to the school.

Sarah Cladin, the teacher’s daughter who works with CB&T bank in Perry, started the ball rolling last autumn after hearing friends talk about “adopting” military personnel stationed in the Middle East. She contacted Soldiers’ Angels on the Internet and was put in touch with Mendenhall.

Mendenhall, 24, was stationed at Camp Taqaddum, eight miles west of Fallujah at Lake Habaniyah in Anbar Province.

“I basically did metalwork, manufactured parts and did basic repair on track vehicles and Humvees,” Mendenhall said. “If a bumper gets blown off from an IED, I make another one.”

The fourth-graders, with an unending curiosity, kept the questions coming hard and fast for about an hour:

Did you get to shoot machine guns? “I was qualified to use them, but I never used one in combat.”

Do you like Monster? “I live on them. I drink about eight a day.”

What was your favorite subject in school? “Science. Physics is real fun.”

Have you ever been injured or wounded? “I did hurt my ankle in basic training, but it’s fine now.”

Have you ever shot anyone? “Nope.”

Where have you been in the Marines? “I took my basic training at Camp Pendleton, then Rock Island, Illinois (and) Norway where it was 45 degrees below zero and 14 feet of snow, three weeks in Okinawa, Japan, Iraq, Kuwait, Dubai and Germany. From here I’ll be back on active duty at Camp Pendleton.”

Did you live in barracks over there? “I lived in a 20-by-10 metal can I shared with another guy. We had air conditioning, beds and eventually a TV, which I used a lot to play Guitar Hero.”

Where is the longest place you’ve served? “The 215 days in Iraq. That’s a long time over there.”

Have you ever won Guitar Hero? “Yes, twice.” (The class oohed in appreciation.)

Did you see any children over there? “One time we went to a village and there were a whole bunch of kids. They’re different, and they’re not afraid to ask for anything. But let me tell you, everyone in the U.S. has it great compared to there. Here, if the cable is out it’s a bad day; there, if there’s running water it’s a good day.”

Did you see any schools? “When we first started the war only boys were allowed to go to school. No girls after they were 8 years old. Now there are schools all over. Outside of Fallujah, there are some private schools for girls older than 8.”

Why did you join the Marines? “When I was 6 years old I saw my cousin get his commission in the Marines. From that day onward, I knew I wanted to join the Marines.”

What is your favorite piece of equipment? Mendenhall stopped for a few moments before saying, “The rack, so I can sleep.”

Do you like to get stuff over there? “The stuff from home, it’s the best thing. It can make a horrible day better, even something as small as a piece of candy.”

What do you do in your free time? “We played cards and Guitar Hero. I read a lot of books and I tried to sleep.”

Do you have a girlfriend? “Not right now.”

Do you have a favorite pizza? “Domino’s.”

Of your dogs, do you have a favorite? “Bob. I’ve had him since I was 6 years old. He’s getting up there in age.”

Then teacher Cladin interrupted. “Do you have any advice for the students?” she asked.

“Do well in school, it pays off at the end,” Mendenhall said. “High school builds more chances for opportunities, and I do recommend the military.”

Sarah Cladin encourages others to adopt military personnel through Soldiers’ Angels.

“These men and women are far away from home protecting our country and fighting for our freedom while missing their families ... ,” she said. “From what I’ve seen and been told, a small inexpensive gesture can make their world light up when they receive a letter or package from home, and it doesn’t take much to make that happen.”

Ellie