PDA

View Full Version : Finding a deployed Marine?

KilpatrickF250
04-21-09, 03:49 PM
As I type this up, I realize just how farfetched and dumb this sounds, but I have a buddy that deployed about a month ago, and never gave me an address to where I could send care packages and such. I have his unit # but I'm lost as to where I might find an address of some sort. If anyone can PM me some instructions so as to not advertise his name and unit everywhere, it would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

Achped
04-21-09, 04:16 PM
His unit #? Aka Unit # in Iraq or the name of his unit?

KilpatrickF250
04-21-09, 10:18 PM
MWSS-371 Afghanistan

KilpatrickF250
04-21-09, 10:37 PM
After a LOT of internet searching, I came up with his unit # and I think I have the address, though I don't know what section he is in. Is this the correct address layout?

Rank LastName,FirstName,MI
MWSS-371
Unit 43040
FPO AP 96427-3040

KawiGunny
04-22-09, 06:48 AM
Why not just contact his family?

Seems the most logical approach to me.

0231Marine
04-22-09, 07:14 AM
After a LOT of internet searching, I came up with his unit # and I think I have the address, though I don't know what section he is in. Is this the correct address layout?

Rank LastName,FirstName,MI
MWSS-371
Unit 43040
FPO AP 96427-3040

You have a couple of options here...

You can send it to his unit stateside because there are some Marines from every unit that stay in the RBE (Remain Behind Element) and they'll ensure that his mail is forwarded to him in country.

If you can get in contact with his family, as was suggested above, that would be the best way.

Or if you think you have the correct address, then yes, send it that way. The format you have listed above is correct and if you send it to the unit, they'll ensure he gets it. Each unit has a mail clerk and they know who is in their unit so if it gets to them, they'll make sure he gets it, even if it means sending it to another base if he's been sent somewhere away from the Bn.

You could also try emailing him and asking him for his address. Try: Whereareyou@afghanistan.mil? Ok, so that last one was a lie!

KilpatrickF250
04-22-09, 02:41 PM
Thanks guys! By pure coincidence, a parent on here has a son in the same unit! I have the address.

Oh and Gunny, unfortunately contact with his parents was, lets just say, not going to help.

Thanks again y'all!