PDA

View Full Version : 'I thought it would be safer for him here'

thedrifter
04-21-09, 07:04 AM
'I thought it would be safer for him here'
Comments 6 | Recommend 1
April 20, 2009 - 6:45 PM
LINDELL KAY

A Camp Lejeune Marine said he moved his teenage brother to Jacksonville in January because he thought it would be safer than Seattle.

Less than four months later, his 17-year-old brother was shot dead.

Omar F. Becerra, 17, died Saturday on Davis Street after being shot during a brawl, his older brother, Adalberto Megia said.

Megia, a Camp Lejeune Marine corporal, returned from Iraq in October and moved Becerra to Jacksonville in early January.

"I thought it would be safer for him here," Megia said.

At around 10:30 p.m. Saturday, a large group of people were walking down Davis Street from a party at another house when they passed Megia's home. Megia said someone in the crowd said something to his younger brother and an argument ensued. After a fight broke out between the crowd and people from the neighborhood, someone in the crowd pulled out a handgun and started shooting. Megia found his brother dead.

A resident living on River Street just behind Davis Street told officers he heard two gunshots.

Jacksonville police responded to a shots fired call, said JPD Lt. Pat Traitor.

"When they arrived they observed a victim on the ground surrounded by several people who had come to the victim's aid and were performing (cardiopulmonary resuscitation)," he said.

Onslow Emergency Services responded and pronounced Becerra dead at the scene.

No arrests have been made.

A memorial service for Becerra will be held tonight at Saunders Funeral Home from 6 to 8 p.m. His funeral will be held in Sedro-Woolley, Wash., later in the week.

Investigators are asking anyone with information on the shooting to come forward.

Crime Stoppers of Onslow County is offering a reward of up to $2,500 for information leading to an arrest or apprehension in Becerra's death.

Anyone with information concerning this incident can contact the Jacksonville/Onslow Crime Stoppers at 910-938-3273 or the Jacksonville Police Department at 910-455-1472. Callers do not have to reveal their identities.

Daily News columnist Mike McHugh contributed to this report. Contact crime reporter Lindell Kay at 910-219-8456. Read Lindell's blog at http://onslowcrime.encblogs.com.

Ellie