PDA

View Full Version : Marines advance physically and mentally

thedrifter
04-21-09, 06:33 AM
MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. — Several Marines stand by a physical training table. They gather around one Marine in particular, whose height places him several inches above the next tallest Marine. He stands before the others not just as a senior Marine, but as a teacher.

These are his students and they have just earned the next highest distinction of training in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program. The meeting seems less a ceremony, but more a gathering of good friends, who have worked, trained and grown together.

Master Gunnery Sgt. Freddie McDonald Jr., the operations equipment readiness chief, with Combat Logistics Regiment 27, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, has been a martial arts instructor since 1983. He describes his role in training Marines in the martial arts as part of his responsibility.

“It's my obligation to teach. It's my duty, no one had to ask me to do it,” said McDonald, who has taught more than 1,500 Marines. “I want to make sure that after I teach them, I can look back in the mirror and say I did a good job.”

McDonald's MCMAP instruction focuses on real world situations and is built around the idea of fluidity and growth in combat and everyday life.

Maj. Patricia S. Bacon, the mortuary affairs officer assigned to CLR-2, received her green belt. Sgt. Dana Chick, a logistics vehicle system operator with CLR-27, and Staff Sgt. Carlos Malagon, a radio chief with CLR-27, received their black belts.

Malagon started training with McDonald in November and regards the day he was tested for his brown belt as his most memorable day of training.

“It was early and cold. The sun wasn't out yet,” Malagon said. “It was freezing out at the MCMAP pit and the rubber that covers the ground was frozen into chunks. We were throwing each other around and shattering the frozen rubber.”

Chick recalled a recurring theme imparted on McDonald's students, the instructor's focus on practical and spontaneous training.

“Normally when you test, you're not thinking about how cold it is, but it was on our minds that day,” Chick said. “We still did it, we still passed, and he was out there with us.”

McDonald focused on turning the techniques and tactics into instinct, Malagon explained.

“His style is strict, and very practical. It's strict in the respect that he teaches you the right way, but not just by the numbers,” Malagon said “He transforms it into muscle memory and uses real life examples.”

The goal of the training is to adapt and apply what one learns, and to learn beyond the belts, Malagon said.

“It focuses on fluidity. He wants you to go with it even if you make a mistake. You move along with strikes, advancing, and not just using kicks or punches,” Malagon said. “When it's all said and done, you need to be able to defend yourself.”

For Bacon, McDonald's focus on real life situations is what appealed to her the most.

“He takes a by-the-book tactic and makes it real world applicable,” Bacon said.

McDonald wants to encourage this transformation in his students. It's important to know the techniques inside and out, McDonald said.

“In a confrontation, you need to know your strengths and weaknesses, as well as your opponent’s,” McDonald said. “It's my job to make sure they understand these concepts.”

MCMAP teaches more than self-defense. It offers a guide and a means to reflect for McDonald and his students.

“Use the principals of what you're doing in a confrontation and how it relates to life,” McDonald said, “All techniques have their particular place, just like each Marine in a unit has his or her place.”

As McDonald walked away from the PT table and headed back inside, he looked over his shoulder and offered a few words of wisdom in parting.

“You need to grow. Learn and grow, that's what it's about.” he said.