PDA

View Full Version : Childhood Asthma; Aid Request

Shick019
04-20-09, 07:07 PM
Evening Marines, Poolees, Friends, etc.

I searched the forums for anything regarding Childhood asthma, and all I came up with, that had anything that was anything like what I was looking for, was:

Asthma can be very mild and sometimes not show itself at all when it comes to physical exercise, (just allergies etc)... I have mild asthma and can run the full 3 miles (21mins and falling!), max out on crunches and pull ups and still not feel the tightness of the chest.

Ask him whether his asthma has started to dissipate over the years since childhood. People can (but not always), grow out of asthma. If his asthma is getting better, he MIGHT be able to grow out of it in a couple of years, and then would stand a better chance of passing the medical. From what I've heard, regulations state that for someone to just pass the medical after having asthma, they can't have had symptoms since age 12. HOWEVER, if he can somehow prove that he has truly gotten over the asthma (regular spirograh [sp?] tests for about a year), then I THINK his condition can be waived.

When I was told that I couldn't join due to my childhood asthma, it totally tore me apart. I mean I was a complete wreck, all of my dreams had seemingly just been smashed. I know how your friend feels, I know this sounds cheesy but I guarentee you that he'll be needing a close friend right now, someone he can talk to honestly and openly with.

This is information I already knew, and this is why I'm currently stressing out like crazy.

I've wanted to be a Marine since I was 6 and realized the Marine existed. Everything I've done in my life has been aimed toward my want and motivation to become the most dangerous weapon in the world, a Marine (and his rifle..). I'm currently in the MCJROTC at my new high school, I transferred schools just so I could be in it. I'm currently in the Civil Air Patrol, been in for a little under 3 years, I'm picking up Captain 6MAY2009, and I've been the Cadet Commander for a year now, my superior officer whom has been in the squadron for 30 years or so stated to me, "You are the best Cadet Commander we have ever had, and I have ever seen." All this has been to better myself in my run to become a Marine.

I ran track as a freshman, I ran the mile on varsity! No problems running at all. (I stopped after freshman year because I got bored of running in circles...)

I wrestled this year, my junior year. Hardest thing I've done in my entire life, but still had no problems doing it.

I just did my PFT for my promotion to Captain in the Civil Air Patrol, ran a 6:15 mile, 45 push-ups, and 46 sit-ups, (yes, I'm weak, I know, I'm working on it) with no problems at all.

But, I just sat down with my prospective recruiter to get the straight scoop on some MOS's, Marine Corps life, education benefits and opportunities, etc. Well, during my initial screening, he asked if I have or ever had asthma. I, being big on integrity, told him the truth, and said as a younger child I had asthma but now its gone. So we went along, and after our long talk about the before stated information, he brought up that if I had it while I was 12, I was done for.

I started freaking out.

I checked my records when I got back from work. I have papers saying when I was 11 that I was clear of all chest problems, head and neck problems, and skin problems, but it was still recommended that I have a inhaler. This is from the Asthma doctor.

I also have a paper from when I was 12, from my pediatrician stating I have NO restrictions.

If this is not enough to prove to my recruiter and the NCOIC at the MCRSS that I'm clear, am I done for? Or, is there possible waivers or something?

No offense toward "Marine friends or supporters", but unless you can back up your information with regulations or supporting information w/specific details, I'm looking for an answer from a Marine.

-Thank you for any help. I really need some support right now.

Capital M
04-20-09, 10:31 PM
Get a Pulmonary Function Test. There was a thread about this not too long ago, actually (not the one you quoted). In order to go any further you will need a PFT. Pass that, get signed off by the pulmonologist/internal medicine Doc and you should be good to go.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/lungs.htm

D. (493) Paragraph 2, also see "Guide note"

Since I had exercised induced asthma as a child (age 11-12), My OSO and enlisted recruiter told me, during pre-screening that I need to pass a PFT, If I did, I would be fine and may not even need a waiver. The cut off age is your 13th birthday for DQ.