PDA

View Full Version : Signing to DEP.

Pistolwhip8809
04-20-09, 10:42 AM
I have a quick question about signing into the DEP. I have gone to MEPS and passed my physical but wasnt able to sign that day because i have to take some more paper work up to them to clear me. I heard that to sign into the DEP you have to be able to do 2 pull ups and 44 sit ups in 2 minutes. I am only able to do 1 pull up and about 30 sit ups will i still be able to sign the contract if i cant meet those standards at this time?

bstewar09
04-20-09, 01:16 PM
No More cupcakes and ho-hos for you. I believe you can sign into the DEP, but you don't want to go to bootcamp until you can pass that IST. Or at least that is what I've been told.

Gunner614
04-20-09, 05:23 PM
I have a quick question about signing into the DEP. I have gone to MEPS and passed my physical but wasnt able to sign that day because i have to take some more paper work up to them to clear me. I heard that to sign into the DEP you have to be able to do 2 pull ups and 44 sit ups in 2 minutes. I am only able to do 1 pull up and about 30 sit ups will i still be able to sign the contract if i cant meet those standards at this time?

It all depends but I think that you have to pass at least 2 aspects of the IST. I say this because I have a friend that DEP'd in and couldn't do any pullups, but could do the crunches and the run.

boblasek
04-20-09, 07:38 PM
At MEPS it was my recruiter that made us do pullups only to see where we were. It is not gonna stop you from swearing in or anything, but i do agree with bstewar09 about being able to pass the IST.

NoPainNoGain17
04-20-09, 09:30 PM
Start working out 5-6 days a week and run in the morning. Don't eat fast food and don't drink any sodas or energy drinks. Prepare yourself now and you'll reap the benefits later. Trust me doing this and eliminating those things help greatly.

As for your question, you need to be able to fulfill those requirements before you are shipped off to boot camp. So if you aren't able to fulfill those requirements when you swear in that's okay. But if you aren't able to pass an IST or get the minimum scores before boot camp they usually won't ship to recruit training, or at least from what I've heard.

Pistolwhip8809
04-20-09, 09:38 PM
thanks for all the responses my recruiter has been working me out a lot and i have gone to a couple of poolee functions. Today I bought a Pull up bar and I am going to take some advice from the Warriors on this site (doing a max set of pull ups every time i walk through the door). Anyone got any idea what progress i can make if i set my ship date to august?

NoPainNoGain17
04-20-09, 10:05 PM
A lot. I was doing 12 pull ups and 115 crunches about 3 months ago. By working out 6 days a week (lifting, running, pull-ups, pretty much everything) I went to 20 pull ups and 142 crunches in 3 months times. I also dropped my run time in the mile and a half by 30 seconds. You can definitely get a lot of improvement between now and august.

nrml1
04-21-09, 04:26 AM
When do you do the IST? At MEPS? Or do you just do the physical at MEPs? I searched but couldn't find a thread on "the meps process" or anything.

nrml1
04-21-09, 05:31 AM
I found this little ditty: http://www.mepcom.army.mil/video.html which explains the process thoroughly via a video. I particularly liked this rule:

http://i43.tinypic.com/dmtdeg.png

MarinesFTW
04-21-09, 08:17 AM
YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO PASS THE IST TO START BOOT CAMP!!! If you cant complete the IST when you get to the MCRD they will put you in the donut brigade. Ive even heard that they are starting to send people home because there are so many people enlisting now.

hempstead56
04-21-09, 05:06 PM
LOL donut brigade

SmithWD19
04-27-09, 08:07 PM
Good luck to you. I went to MEPS for my ASVAB one day, went to the hotel, and back to MEPS the next to conduct all my paperwork and physical. Given I was there all day, I was in and out. I saw some prospects there two days straight waiting on waivers and what not. I consider myself lucky to have been in and out and ready to move onto the next step.

ak74u28
07-21-09, 08:08 PM
YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO PASS THE IST TO START BOOT CAMP!!! If you cant complete the IST when you get to the MCRD they will put you in the donut brigade. Ive even heard that they are starting to send people home because there are so many people enlisting now.

LoL,Donut Brigade haha!!
Semper Fi.

Gunner614
07-21-09, 08:12 PM
LoL,Donut Brigade haha!!
Semper Fi.

Don't say Semper Fi', we don't rate it.

JWG
07-21-09, 08:51 PM
Yes, please go read the rules of the board in the stickies. Just policing our own. Good to go.

martinj
07-21-09, 09:40 PM
Whew I got some dust in my nose from this thread.

Gunner614
07-21-09, 10:52 PM
Whew I got some dust in my nose from this thread.

lol

JSam
07-21-09, 11:07 PM
You don't have to take an IST in order to DEP in. However, I know our RS CO requires us to take an IST within 72 hours of swearing in.
And don't say SF. We aren't Marines and neither are you.

lax379
07-22-09, 04:35 PM
It'll be fine , i swore in then i went to do the IST

MarinesFTW
07-22-09, 06:26 PM
I wish we could some way make JWG a mod of some what. Where his only power was in this thread. You are the most square away poolee here, I try to help out, but you always seem to end up correcting me. Keep it up man!

ak74u28
07-24-09, 11:11 PM
I wish we could some way make JWG a mod of some what. Where his only power was in this thread. You are the most square away poolee here, I try to help out, but you always seem to end up correcting me. Keep it up man!

:idea:Lol

Gerken
07-25-09, 01:18 PM

That is a good idea, JWG always seems to say the right thing, and keeps everyone in line.:thumbup:

JWG
07-25-09, 04:55 PM
Haha. Not sure if this is sarcasm or being serious. But on either account, I'd decline. It's just OUR (read.. not just mine hehe) to moderate EACH OTHER. Follow the rules and ensure that our brother and sister poolees do as well. Policing our own. This is a trait that will save us a lot of hassle and figuring out when we actually get to MCRD, ITB/MCT, MOS school.. fleet/deployments and so on.

Good to go.. now I'm off to go to a going away party for a buddy leaving for Boot soon. You all have a great evening, I know I will. Hehe. GET SOME.