PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed

newlandp
04-20-09, 10:06 AM
I’m currently looking to get an age waiver to enlist into the United States Marine Corps.
I talked with a recruiter who is located in Beaufort, SC who guarantees he can get the age waiver approved with the contingencies that I remove the Tattoo on the back of my neck and meet a PT test of 5 Pull Ups minimum, 35 Sit Ups (2 minutes) and a 3 Mile Run (18:00 minutes). I have participated in competitive Boxing for the last four years so I’m not too worried about the physical requirements. Although I’m west of the Mississippi I will be required to go to Paris Island for recruit training. As of the past eight years I have worked in Information Technology, the low end Desktop Support, with some Networking and in our line of work it has been and still is very unstable, most of the time outsourced. Quite frankly I’m sick of the layoffs and the lack of opportunities in the private sector. One day you’re a technician and the next you’re in the unemployment line looking for helpdesk jobs. I have a beautiful little girl and a strong marriage going into its tenth year. So that’s the gist of my situation. My question is joining the Marine Corps a wise decision for someone in my position?

awbrown1462
04-20-09, 10:53 AM
how old are you

temarti
04-20-09, 11:43 AM
You would have to ask yourself are you considering joining because you want to and this is a life you and your family want to live or are you doing it because of the current job market.

Consider you family, if you have been married for 10 years, other than maybe some business travel, how is you wife and child going to handle being gone for year or deployed for 6 months or longer.

If the Marines are what you want to do then why did you now look into it earlier in life?

Just a few things to think about while making this decision, it will have to be you and your wife to make this commitment.

KilpatrickF250
04-20-09, 02:32 PM
He wants you to run the 3 mile in 18 minutes?? That maxes the PFT.

thewookie
04-20-09, 03:53 PM
It doesn't appear to be just about you.

Older guys can do it but it's tough er. And it's real tough on the family. I hope you know that you'll have 19 and 20 yr old Leathernecks fresh off the battlefield, up your azz like toilet paper. They ain't gonna wanna hear it, they just want to train you. And you might not like their methods at first.

Good luck.