PDA

View Full Version : Aldan goes to bat for returning Marine

thedrifter
04-19-09, 07:53 AM
News
Aldan goes to bat for returning Marine

Sunday, April 19, 2009

By John Roman, Of the tTimes Staff

ALDAN — Marine Corps Lt. Col. Michael “Mike” J. Froeder, a veteran of two tours of duty in Iraq and Operation Desert Storm, got a rousing welcome home from borough residents, officials and the Aldan Boys’ Club Saturday night.

Carr Memorial Field was festooned with miniature American flags as Froeder, 43, a resident of Aldan since 1992, as the uniformed Marine had the honor of throwing out the first pitch of the Little League season to his 10-year-old son, Kyle. He did his dad proud by sharply snagging the ball.

“It’s awesome — they went all out,” said Froeder, who was accompanied by his wife, Lori, and mother, Rita. “I don’t have the words to express my appreciation for this opportunity.”

“I feel great that he’s back,” Kyle said. He said he was hoping to get a hit for him during the game.

“Number one, I’m grateful that he’s back,” Lori said. “And everyone that he was with is back safe. And I’m happy that not only as a family unit, but as a unit in the community that we can be together and enjoy a day like this, and other days to come.”

Kevin Finn, baseball commissioner for the Aldan Boys’ Club, started the event by introducing Froeder and urging applause from those attending in gratitude for his service to his country.

Council Vice President Mike Xavier said he was “honored and humbled” to be in the presence of the Marine officer and his family.

“Mike, you’re a true American and Aldan thanks you for your patriotism and dedication to your country and our community,” he said.

Mayor Jim Hopely congratulated Froeder, along with John White, president of the Boys’ Club. White said honoring Froeder was an honor for the club.

“ (Froeder) puts his life on the line every day over there to serve and protect us,” White said. “It’s our way of showing a little appreciation.”

The Marine’s mother, Rita Froeder, of Drexel Hill, said the hero’s welcome was wonderful.

“With the Vietnam vets, they were treated terrible and the Korean War vets were forgotten,” she said.

The Marine’s wife was presented with flowers and the family received gifts as a token of appreciation.

Froeder arrived home April 10 after serving in Iraq since August 2008 as commanding officer of the Security Battalion for Al Asad Airbase. He is now executive officer of the Second Battalion, 25th Marines, in Garden City, N.Y.

“After all this time with the Marines working with the local police and the Iraqi Army and the local Iraqi key leaders, al-Anbar Province is a lot less active than it was a few years ago,” he said, during an earlier interview.

A 1983 graduate of Monsignor Bonner High School and 1988 graduate of Drexel University, Froeder had joined the Marines when he was 17 as a Reservist. He enlisted in 1983 and was commissioned as an officer in 1988. He went through boot camp at Parris Island, S.C.

He served as a lieutenant and combat engineer in Operation Desert Storm from November 1988 to November 1992, helping to liberate Kuwait from Iraq and clearing minefields. He also served in 2003 in Iraq as a major and company commander.

Ellie