View Full Version : Small town gives veterans big thanks

thedrifter
04-19-09, 07:39 AM
April 19, 2009
Small town gives veterans big thanks

Townsend salutes those who served their country

By ROBIN BROWN
The News Journal

Douglas Harris, who served in the Navy from 1951 to 1954, said he never saw such a "great, beautiful" appreciation of veterans.

"Only a small town could do this ... only Townsend," he said.

He was among about 80 men and women honored in Townsend Saturday, as the town said thank you to its veterans in a big way.

A giant American flag hung in the sun over Main Street, welcoming nearly 400 people to the Townsend Veterans Recognition Ceremony.

"Welcome Veterans" was posted on the sign at the Townsend Fire Company, transformed inside into a red-white-and-blue gala with flags, buntings, flowers and stars.

Veterans, their families, elected officials and supporters filled the rows of tables, all equipped with packs of tissues for the day of cheers and tears.

Harris praised the event and luncheon, served by Hunley Caterers, which cut the cost because the meal was for veterans.

"The chicken, the potato salad, macaroni and cheese, very good," he said.

And the speeches, including the keynote address by Maj. Gen. Francis D. Vavala, adjutant general of the Delaware National Guard, were "excellent," Harris said.

But he said the best part was seeing his daughter and fellow U.S. Navy veteran, Sherri Leslie, serve as mistress of ceremonies.

The event, with entertainment by the Citizens Hose Company Band, singer-songwriter John Flynn, of Hockessin, soloist Ed Sterling, of New Castle, and disc jockey "Jammin' Jeff" Rankin, of Middletown, took months of planning by members of the Townsend Veterans Committee, co-chaired by Councilwoman Karen Jennings and Councilman John Hanlin and supported by a grant from the town.

Vice Commander Ray Abbott of American Legion Post 25 called the appreciation ceremony "just beautiful."

Tears flowed throughout the program, including recognition of the spouses and children of those serving active duty, and of those missing in action or prisoners of war.

A speech by Robert Pritchard, a freshman from Appoquinimink High School, moved many to tears, with Hanlin saying the talk "was my favorite part."

Students from the Young Marines and Everett Meredith Middle School National Junior Honor Society joined scores of volunteers who helped make the event happen.

Kylen Small, 12, said he liked helping because veterans "are underappreciated."

Samantha Harris, 15, said it was "fun ... I met a lot of people."

Bryanna Sniadecki, 14, said, "It was the least we could do with all they do for us."

Other supporters included area veterans groups, local businesses and the Volunteer Hose Company of Middletown.

Lt. Col. Steve High, senior Army adviser for the state of Delaware, called the thank-you program "awesome."

Mayor David B. Raughley, an organizer and a recipient of a veterans appreciation certificate, said the most touching moment was when a World War II veteran told him, "I got out of the military in 1947 and no one ever thanked me for what I did. I'm 78 years old and I never thought anyone would thank me."

Raughley urged everyone at the event to keep appreciating veterans.

"Just go up to them, shake their hand and thank them," he said. "It's a simple gesture that will last forever in their heart."

Ellie