PDA

View Full Version : Hello poolies, do you find it odd...?

goodtimes
04-18-09, 11:14 PM
I was wandering around with fellow poolies during a poolie function and random folk would give us an "Oorah" or "Semper Fi". I liked their support but I don't want recognition without having earned an Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. Just the other day, someone caught drift of my going to boot camp and they thanked me for my service. I couldn't say "your welcome" because I (much like the rest of the poolies) have done nothing more than go to MEPS. So I must say, "thank you random people for supporting my hope to one day become a Marine"; however, I feel weird because we have done nothing yet! Any poolies come across that same situation?

Jensen139
04-18-09, 11:27 PM
well going to MEPS is more than 97% of people do so I guess you can think of it that way. But I feel the same way

BGW
04-19-09, 01:39 AM
I have not come across any of that. Only thing I get is when I am at a poolee function and we are doing our runs and people honk at us in support when they drive by us. It startles me when people honk as they go driving by.

JoeInVille
04-19-09, 01:55 AM
Just how it is...take it as a compliment. I dont understand sometimes however when civis say like Semper fi to me, im like, im cool with the support but dont say Semper fi...Also, people dont understand the difference between like a poolee and a Marine I have noticed sometimes LOL. Normal civilians see a big group of people running around in moto shirts and just assume...i giggle at civis.

zeph yrus
04-19-09, 02:31 AM
the way i take it is that they are thanking us for volunteering, not many choose to do this. so specially with the older people try to smile and nod or say something along the llines of I hope I get an opportunity to earn that ma'am/sir

Marine84
04-19-09, 06:55 AM
It will make you feel funny years after you get out too - does me anyway. I don't feel like I did anything worth anybody thanking me for. The Corps did something for me, not the other way around.

johnb08
04-19-09, 10:40 AM
Yeah I get that all the time when I tell people I enlisted in the Marine Corps and am waiting to go to boot camp. Some people call me Mr. Marine and I always feel the need to correct them that I am not a Marine yet. As far as the Semper Fi, or Oorah being said I just take it as a compliment and them supporting me, they mean well.

pooleedavis91
04-19-09, 10:48 AM
Someone from my church thanked me too. I feel what your saying but I just told them "Thank you for your support." I didn't really say "Yea I serve my Country" But yea, I know what you mean.

BigGunz90
04-19-09, 10:56 AM
I feel the same way. My mom put the "Proud Parent of a United States Marine" sticker on her car without telling me until I saw it and peeled it off. I have also had people thank me for my service and I say "Thanks, but I'm not quite in the Marines yet". I appreciate the attention, but I don't want to get credited for something I haven't done.

MarinesFTW
04-19-09, 11:46 AM
Ummmm.. Yeah its weird when your NOT even DEPed yet.. People always say thanks and stuff and im like ahhh... Im not even enlisted? Lol its funny and I dont feel bad correcting them becuz im not going to take credit for something I havn't earned yet.

Achped
04-19-09, 11:47 AM
Dudes, I'm a Marine and I don't even say Semper Fi. Unless I'm around a bunch of army cats, then it's always fun because they look at you like you're crazy.

Look. I don't get what this forum's problem is with having poolees say Semper Fi or Oorah. Thats not up for debate and I dont run the show. But if you're at a poolee function, saying Semper Fi is totally fine. In my book at least. Maybe some old salts that hate everything will find it disasteful, but whatever. Its not like you have no interest in joining and are simply using it as a phrase.

I think the issue with all this lies in having people think you're a Marine when you're not. I used to get people who asked me all the time where I'm stationed. (Yes, I had a moto high and tight) Now people look shocked when I tell them I'm a Marine, but that's a separate issue.

I don't want a poolee representing my Corps. Its that simple, neither do other Marines. Thats where all this comes from but its really not that big of a deal so let it go and just enjoy your time before the suck. Go get laid.

Semper Fi!

Eidal
04-19-09, 11:51 AM
From the perspective of a PFC fresh out of boot camp, I -still- feel a little awkward when strangers say things like that. Its something to be taken in stride, but at least I'm aware that I have yet to provide anything to the country and won't for over a year.

I guess its a question of potential.

Convulsive
04-19-09, 11:56 AM
I never really have that problem. People just usually congratulate me, commend me and ask me when I ship out. I also get "ooo why Marines? why not like...airforce or something?" and I just respond "exactly". Sometimes one of my friends will slip up and call me a Marine and I'll tell them not until graduation.

fjmas1976
04-19-09, 12:13 PM
I've been out ten years now and I still feel uncomfortable when people thank me for my service. I don't feel like I did anything special. I was in during peace time, and was lucky enough to have earned the privilege of becoming a Marine. Just the other day, I was thanked by a civi and I told him I had been out quite a while. He still proceeded to shake my hand (which I NEVER do while on duty and it weirds me out) and say "Welcome home, Marine". :usmc:

Equipped Possum
04-19-09, 12:38 PM
enjoy your time before the suck. Go get laid.

Semper Fi!

aye, aye sir!

Gunner614
04-19-09, 01:07 PM
I'm the only senior at my high school that has enlisted in the marine corps, so the principal himself came up to me one day and thanked me. It was kinda wierd. A couple of the guys in my weight training class keep calling me Seargant or Marine which gets anoying and I correct them but they keep on doing it.

Convulsive
04-19-09, 10:02 PM
I'm the only senior at my high school that has enlisted in the marine corps, so the principal himself came up to me one day and thanked me. It was kinda wierd. A couple of the guys in my weight training class keep calling me Seargant or Marine which gets anoying and I correct them but they keep on doing it.

That does kind of suck when people keep insisting on doing it. When you think about it though that is very commendable that you're the ONLY person in your HS to be a Poolee. If people want to commend you just let them do it, just make sure if they do call you a Marine to correct them is all. I've even told someone "I'm in the Marines but I'm not a Marine. More like in the Official Marine Corps Fan Club" you'll usually get a chuckle with that response.

:banana:

Poolee Hamilton
04-19-09, 10:58 PM
What really sucks is when you have some liberal as a teacher and every other day you get a reminder about how the Marines are bad, and how the Marines are nothing but cannon fodder. But I just smile and say "Yes ma'am" because she's a teacher and everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and she doesn't know what its like to be a son and a grandson of a Marine. The brotherhood and the sense of pride is unbelievable and both of them have been out for quite awhile (father's a Gulf War vet, Grandfather's a Vietnam vet)

2114Wollmann
04-20-09, 12:56 AM
I hear you 100%. I am also the only one in my high school that has enlisted in the Marines. I cannot even count how many times I hear, common Marine, or hes a Marine. And every time I correct them by saying I am in the Marines, but not a Marine, I am a Poolee. I like the fact that they compliment me for joining, but I always have to correct them. The one thing that makes me mad the most is one of my teachers insisting that Marines and soldiers are the same. That argument gets kinda heated ha.

Achped
04-20-09, 01:01 AM
rofl, you are not in the Marines. DEP'ing in doesn't mean ****.