PDA

View Full Version : Kesterson retires after 30 years of service

thedrifter
04-18-09, 06:33 AM
Kesterson retires after 30 years of service
Comments 2 | Recommend 1
April 17, 2009 - 5:26 PM
JENNIFER HLAD

After more than 30 years in the Navy, Naval Hospital Command Master Chief Kevin Kesterson is hanging up his uniform.

Kesterson will be honored at a retirement ceremony today at the hospital; his official retirement date is July 1. The retirement comes after more than two years at the Naval Hospital and more than 16 years of sea duty on various submarines.

Kesterson joined the Navy on Dec. 7, 1978, "to get away from the life I was leading at that time," he said. "My plan was to go in, get a good education, get out and get a good job."

Kesterson had been working as an auto mechanic and wanted to be an engineman in the Navy, but the school was full at the time, he said. So he asked what else was available, and ended up as a submarine machinist's mate.

He had not planned to stay in the Navy as a career, but each time his reenlistment came up, there was another reason to stay in - a recession, a reenlistment bonus, a promotion. He decided to stay in 20 years, then was promoted to master chief, and the plan changed again.

"I did not want to go through the rest of my life wondering what if," Kesterson said recently.

Even now, Kesterson said he feels like he has "a good four or five years" left but realizes it is probably time to transition.

"It's almost scary to some point. I've been doing this for so long, now I have to go out and find a job, in this economy," he said. Still, he is happy to be able to be home after being away for so long.

He doesn't like to tell people what to do, but tells those who ask that the Navy "gave me direction, gave me a purpose in life. It helped me grow up responsibly in a controlled environment."

During his time at the Camp Lejeune Naval Hospital, Kesterson has seen a huge increase in the number of Marines on base and, therefore, patients at the hospital. Deployments have also increased for the sailors working at the hospital.

He said he wishes more people knew about the great things sailors do on a daily basis, going out in harm's way to help others, and is proud of the hospital's involvement in the community, working with Tarawa Terrace Elementary School, Habitat for Humanity, the Boy Scouts, Angel Food Ministries, Special Olympics and other charities.

"We are engaged in the local community," Kesterson said. "I tell our sailors, you need to be involved in your community."

For those who are just entering the service, or those already serving, he advises them to work as though they will have a 20-year career. That way, he said, they can get out earlier if they wish, but they will be proud of their work and be able to stay if they want or need to.

"I've had people who come back and say I wish I would have listened," he said, but instead slacked off or burned bridges.

"There's nothing lost by working on a 20-year career," Kesterson said.

Kesterson owns a house near King's Bay, Ga., and will be moving there with his family when he retires.

"I and my wife are so appreciative of the Navy medicine community for accepting us, from the very first day," he said. "We're very appreciative and we'll miss it."

Contact interactive content editor and military reporter Jennifer Hlad at jhlad@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8467.

Ellie