View Full Version : Marine from Appleton suffers broken back in Iraq

thedrifter
04-18-09, 06:14 AM
April 18, 2009
Marine from Appleton suffers broken back in Iraq

Doctors expect full recovery for 2006 Appleton East grad

By Mike Woods
Post-Crescent staff writer

An Appleton East High School graduate in the Marine Corps is recovering in Germany from a broken back caused by an enemy bomb blast in Iraq, his mother said.

Andy Balliet, 21, a 2006 graduate of Appleton East and a lance corporal in the Marines, was hurt April 3 when the Humvee he was riding in struck a roadside bomb in Iraq's al-Anbar Province near Fallujah, according to his mother, Fritzi Balliet of Appleton.

Balliet suffered a fractured vertebrae and was transported to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany the same day. He was also suffering from pneumonia. On April 6, he underwent spinal fusion surgery.

"The surgeon is expecting a full recovery,'' Fritzi Balliet said earlier this week. "However, it's going to be a long, painful one.

"Now he's just been recuperating and walking. He's good. He's always good. The first thing he said is, 'Call coach (East football coach Pat) Schwanke and ask if I can rehabilitate at East.' He's ready to get back (home) and get going."

Andy Balliet is expected to return to the United States next week and will require at least six more weeks of recovery.

"Initially you feel shock because you don't think anything like that is ever going to touch you," Schwanke said. "Then you feel for Andrew and his family. For me, I'm just thankful there are people like Andrew who are willing to make those necessary sacrifices for us."

The blast marked the second time Balliet had encountered a roadside bomb, Fritzi Balliet said. He received a concussion the first time, just 10 days after he arrived in Iraq.

Schwanke said he talked with Balliet last week and was thankful his prognosis was promising.

"Andrew is such a great person and nothing like that should happen to anybody," Schwanke said. "Andrew is a young man who would do anything for anybody. … The first thing he said was, 'Coach, everything is going to be fine.'"

Ellie