PDA

View Full Version : ODOT workers return U.S. flag to familiar spot along I-71

thedrifter
04-18-09, 06:08 AM
ODOT workers return U.S. flag to familiar spot along I-71
Posted by dsims April 18, 2009 04:20AM

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/04/large_Dan-Breda-flag-I-71.jpg

John Kuntz/The Plain DealerDan Breda and George Wagner of the Ohio Department of Transportation adjust an American flag in the morning breeze after they placed it atop a light pole in the median of Interstate 71. The men will maintain and replace the flag, seen by thousands of motorists daily, when it becomes worn.

The American flag once again waves high above Interstate 71.

It was placed atop a light pole Friday morning by the Ohio Department of Transportation, which realized just how much the symbol of unity and strength meant to people after a U.S. flag that had been flying since 2001 was retired in February.

"It is something to bring us back to appreciating the fact we live in this country and who we are," said Tom Wilford of Euclid, who often drove past the flag, just south of the West 150th Street exit, before it was taken down.

Bryan Krall, a lighting manager for ODOT and a veteran, had mounted the flag on the light pole shortly after Sept. 11, 2001, to honor Americans who died in the attacks. Krall replaced the flag every year.

It became a familiar beacon to daily commuters and an unexpected sign of patriotism to those traveling to Cleveland Hopkins International Airport or downtown.

"It pulled at the heartstrings," said Wilford. "The longer it stayed up made you realize the significance of what it stood for."

Two months ago, as he prepared for his retirement, Krall removed the tattered 4-by-6-foot flag he had put up.

Wilford and many others called ODOT, asking about the flag's whereabouts and offering to replace it, said Jocelynn Clemings, spokeswoman for ODOT's district that includes Cuyahoga County.

The Veterans of Foreign Wars Brunswick Post 9520 Ladies Auxiliary donated a new flag and will provide replacements, she said. ODOT employees Dan Breda and George Wagner, both signal electricians and former Marines, will maintain the flag.

"It was a spontaneous gesture when it was put up the first time," said Wilford. "I think we all have a vested interest in our country and what it stands for. It is a phenomenal icon."

Ellie