View Full Version : Can I get a medal after I'm out?

04-17-09, 11:21 AM
Two question... <br />
<br />
One- <br />
If they put me in for an award and I was discharged would I get it (such as a phone call <br />
) or would I have to track it down. The reason I ask is because I was put in for a...

04-17-09, 11:37 AM
MOL should be updated. <br />
<br />
There is a DD214 review process.

SSgt Ramsey
04-17-09, 11:56 AM
Go to usmc.mil and then MMMA and it has a step-by-step process for awards processing after you're out....good luck...

04-17-09, 12:16 PM
For the missing NAM you have to use DD form 215. I had to do that with my 3rd NAM and a NMUC cause I left my last unit so fast on terminal leave that they didn't have time to put in there, and at the time I didn't care. This link might get you pointed in the right directionhttp://www.military-certificates.com/DD214201PersonnelFileMilitaryMedicalRecords.htm

Good luck, Semper Fi

SSgt Ramsey
04-17-09, 10:37 PM
I will say it's a pain in the nut-sack after you're out....in my case, my usual established network of admin people is gone...I have no safety net...it's difficult.

Tracking Marine's down while you're in is sometimes daunting, after you're out it's much more difficult.

My old OIC's from the MEU were both Captain's in 96-97. I finally tracked them down, one is a reserve LtCol, the other is a LtCol at the National War College....

You have to find your old OIC and have him/her re-submit for the award through the automated award system.+

04-17-09, 10:45 PM
Sam, I thought that the only to CHECK your ribbons & medals, was to ask for a DD215. THEN....if there's a problem, you have to contact BUPERS?? Maybe the Marines have a better system, than the Navy....for Corpsmen, it's a b!tch!!!......DOC

SSgt Ramsey
04-17-09, 10:53 PM
Well, if you rate the awards but they were never entered into your records nor reflected in your DD-214, you have to initiate the source document for processing.

In the case of personal awards, it has to be the OIC that you served under regardless if they're still active, retired, or reserve....that's been my problem is finding them....

I have to have my CAR entered under the new guidelines, and also a Navy E that I rate into my records.

It's a pain in the ass....