PDA

View Full Version : 1st Marine Logistic Group Public Affairs

thedrifter
04-16-09, 08:41 AM
1st Marine Logistic Group Public Affairs

Written by Pfc. Jerrick J. Griffin 1st Marine Logistics Group
Wednesday, 15 April 2009

Logistics depends on working vehicles. When these vehicles break down, there is a group of Marines that can fix almost every problem.

Vehicle mechanics with Motor Transport Platoon, Headquarters Company, Combat Logistics Regiment 17, 1st Marine Logistics Group do their part to keep working vehicles available.

"That's all we do on a daily basis," said Lance Cpl. Dylan Dean, a vehicle mechanic with Motor T platoon. "If it wasn't for us, the Marine Corps wouldn't be able to keep these vehicles going."

These mechanics maintain all of CLR-17's vehicles, which support training and transportation at anytime. Each mechanic comes from a different background, some have experience in the field, while others get their first taste in Military Occupational School.
"[Fixing all these vehicles] is really nothing to me, since I was a mechanic before I joined the Marine Corps," said Dean, 20, Mt. Airy, N.C. "The only reason I chose this job is because I love to fix vehicles."

On a normal day, these mechanics work on a total of five to 10 trucks, making vehicles readily available to check out at any time.

"Our day starts out with me and the other mechanics being issued a vehicle to work on," said Lance Cpl. Joel Reinhardt, a vehicle mechanic with Motor T platoon. "After we're done with our little project, we would work on other vehicles so that later in the week, we would be not as busy."

The mechanics use humor to keep their mind clear throughout the day.

"Most of the time, we joke around with each other to keep our mind off stress," said Reinhardt, 23, Eagle, Idaho. "Being in the sun, working all day gets real stressful."

Toward the end of the day, they finish any vehicles needing additional work and clean up their area.

"The day ends with Motor T's favorite pastime 'dry sweep'," Reinhardt said.

Dry sweep is a substance, similar to cat litter, that mechanics use to put over oil spills. The material absorbs the oil, making it easier to clean by simply sweeping it off the ground.

"I take pride in my job," said Lance Cpl. Benjamin Case, 19, Bloomer, Wis., a vehicle mechanic with Motor T platoon. "I know I'm doing my part in keeping these vehicles on the road."

Whatever problems CLR-17 has with its vehicles, it knows exactly who to contact for the job.

Ellie