PDA

View Full Version : Eagan soldier rewarded with Navy Cross for bravery in Afghanistan

thedrifter
04-16-09, 08:01 AM
Eagan soldier rewarded with Navy Cross for bravery in Afghanistan
By Grant Boelter - Sun Newspapers
(Created: Thursday, April 16, 2009 12:11 AM CDT)

An Eagan family is just happy to have their son home. For them the prestigious award he brought home was gravy.

Brady Gustafson, 21, received the Navy Cross for bravery for his actions during a July 21 ambush in Afghanistan. He received the award, the highest honor specific to the Navy and second highest in the military, at a March 27 ceremony at the Twentynine Palms Marine Combat Center in California. During the ceremony he received a promotion to corporal.

Gustafson is the 18th Marine to receive the award since U.S. troops were sent to Afghanistan.

"What I like about today is that this is an opportunity to honor a Marine who had the humility, courage, presence of mind and camaraderie to keep going," said Lt. Col. Richard D. Hall, Gustafson's commanding officer during the ceremony, as quoted in the Marines news release.

"He represents what is best about the human spirit. You can't buy that kind of human altruism."

While the award means a lot to Brady and his family, his parents, Rick and Kim Gustafson, are most thankful to have their son home. During the attack, Gustafson's lower leg was severely injured and was later amputated.

"Brady winning the award, for me, was icing on the cake," said his father. "We were just happy to have him back alive."

During the incident for which he received the award, Gustafson was traveling in a vehicle that was struck by a rocket-propelled grenade. Despite his injury, he was able to place shoot at the enemy, which allowed his fellow Marines to escape, according to a news release from the U.S. Marines.

Kim Gustafson said the ceremony at Twentynine Palms was quite an experience for her and her family, as more than 1,000 of her son's peers saw him receive the honor.

"It was almost like a dream," she said. "I was proud of him and proud of all the Marines actually. There were a lot of situations where there were heroes."

Gustafson, who declined a request to be interviewed for the story, is described by his parents as a private and humble man.

"He's thrilled [about the award], but he's so humble," said his mother.

Gustafson's parents said their son is dong well since returning home, as he's looking to purchase a home near Eagan, where he grew up and was home-schooled.

Gustafson's father, who was in the Air Force for more than 20 years, describes himself and his son as history buffs, so they also enjoyed learning the story behind the award.

Even with his history in the military, Rick Gustafson said his son's initial decision to join the Marines in 2007 made him proud, but also slightly uneasy. Most of the elder Gustafson's time in the military was served during relatively peaceful times.

"I'm very proud of my son and I'm very patriotic," said Rick Gustafson. "But I'm not going to lie to you, I was scared to death. You're a father first and a military man second."

With their son at home, the Gustafsons said they are looking forward to watching their son continue on with the next chapter of his life.

"He's rocking. He's looking to see where he wants to go to school," said his father. "He's a very goal-oriented person. When he wants to do something, he does it."

Ellie