PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle training to help lower Marine death toll

thedrifter
04-16-09, 06:48 AM
Motorcycle training to help lower Marine death toll

4/16/2009 By Lance Cpl. Christopher Duncan , Marine Corps Base Quantico

MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, va —A basic rider course for Marines with sport bikes was held near Lejeune Hall last month, to equip them with basic knowledge and skill to operate motorcycles proficiently and help lower the number of Marines killed in motorcycle accidents each year.

Cape Fox Professional Services is contracted under the Navy and Marine Corps to provide motorcycle classes and driver improvement courses that motorcyclists are required to take every three years.

“We work closely with the drivers training staff that is part of the safety division here at Quantico,” said Diane DeVivo, regional lead instructor of CFPS who is responsible for coordinating the motorcycle program here. “We teach a basic rider, experienced rider and military sport bike rider courses.”

There are four instructors who conduct the courses in teams of two.

“The Marine Corps spends a lot of money training its personnel,” said DeVivo. “We are here to help decrease the death toll and keep Marines alive on motorcycles.”

Instructors have coordinated with the Northeast Sports Bike Association to present Track Days, advanced motorcycle training, to combat the rising number of Marines killed in motorcyle accidents. Track Days will be held in the parking lot adjacent to Lejeune Hall and the FBI track on Saturday and Sunday.

“Track Days allow those with sports bikes to get out on a track with experts and have an opportunity to ride at high speeds,” said DeVivo.

In late 2008, annual motorcycle fatalities exceeded four-wheel vehicle fatalities for the first time, according to the naval safety center. Most fatalities happen within 50 miles of an installation.

Seventy-five percent of motorcycle accidents happen from April to August, and most occur at night and on weekends.

“I’ve been teaching for eight years, so I’m a believer in this type of training. I think the curriculum is very well developed,” said DeVivo. “The bottom line is we can only do so much as instructors but it is up to the individuals to make the right decisions.”

According to the Naval Savety Center, in most common fatalities:

21 percent lose control and hit an object.

14 percent lose control while speeding.

Most common violations:

45 percent had no documented training.

78 percent were E6 and below in fiscal year 2008.

66 percent were under the age of 26

“We can start students on the right path but ultimately it is up to them to obey traffic laws and prepare themselves with these classes,” said DeVivo. “What is most important is what the rider does with the training and that should be practice, practice, practice.”

In fiscal year 2008, sports bikes accounted for 88 percent of motorcycle deaths and 50 percent of those were sport bikes under 600 Cubic Centimeters,” said DeVino, “which makes me think that, because smaller bikes are more affordable, more people are buying them.

"Ultimately they account for more of the accidents.”

“I think the training system works because it is preparing riders and teaching them an effective way to maneuver on the road,” said DeVivio.

“We would like to see Marines become life-long motorcycle learners, said DeVivo. “That means we want them to take training courses every one to two years. The more training, the safer they will be on the road.” Marines interested in taking classes at Quantico should visit the Drivers Training Branch page at www.quantico.usmc.mil, or stop by the drivers training office to sign up.

Ellie