PDA

View Full Version : Community: Palacio excels on Naval Academy's track

thedrifter
04-15-09, 11:28 AM
April 15, 2009
Community: Palacio excels on Naval Academy's track

By Jim Krajewski
jkrajewski@rgj.com

Her coaches might not want to know this, but Jess Palacio uses her time at track practice to relax.

Of course, after two and a half years in the Marines, and now in her first year at the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md., Palacio can probably use some relaxation.

But the Spanish Springs graduate (2006), is not just running for the Naval Academy, she is excelling.

On the cross country team last fall she finished sixth in the Patriot League meet as her team won the title. Palacio earned first-team honors. In the NCCA East Regionals, she was 57th out of 188 runners.

In the indoor track season, she was part of championship-clinching distance medley relay victory as she ran the 800-meter leg and was the major point scorer at the league championship, scoring in three events, the 800, 4x800 and distance medley relay.

Palacio, 22, was one of two Navy freshmen to compete at the Eastern College Athletic Conference Championships where she helped produce the third fastest DMR time in school history. She twice earned Patriot League Rookie of the Week honors and she led all Patriot League freshmen runners with four individual victories.

All that after competing in just two cross country seasons and one track season while at Spanish Springs.

"I got caught up in a lot of different things," she said of high school. "It was fate I came back to (running). I was redirected."

She went into the Marines as a way of getting into college. While enlisted, she trained, participated in triathlons and ran some 5K races. She attained the rank of Corporal (E-4).

"At that point, I wasn't going for times, but more for fun," Palacio said. "I love working out. I've always worked out. I made sure I stayed in shape. Once I got into NAPS (Naval Academy Preparatory School), it started paying off."

In the Marines, she was stationed in Okinawa, Japan, with the 3rd medical battalion as part of an engineering shop. She said being in the Marines helped motivate her.

"When I was in the Marines, I drove myself to keep up with the standards of the guys. They were my inspiration and made me work harder than I ever have in my life," she said. "Working out with them and spending time with the guys helped motivate me to keep pushing myself."

In a meet at the end of March, Palacio set a personal record in the 1,500 meters with a time of 4 minutes, 32 seconds -- 6 seconds faster than her previous best. She figures she'll have to better that by about 5 seconds to qualify for the ECAC a regional championship with schools from throughout the east coast.

Karen Boyle, her coach at the Naval Academy, said the ultra-competitive Palacio has great range as a runner.

"She's having an amazing year. It's so nice to have somebody from the enlisted ranks, who hasn't had much track background, to come in and excel," Boyle said. "She's a great team player, she really pushes herself. She's definitely got a lot of raw talent. She's so strong mentally. Any work out you give her, she'll find a way to do, no matter how hard it is."

Palacio hopes to go back into the Marine Corps after graduation and work in intelligence. She is an oceanography major.

Palacio said balancing the demands of the Naval Academy with school work and track practice can be draining. But she likes pushing herself and testing her limits.

"I really enjoy practice. I use my time at practice as a stress reliever. It's my time to relax," she said.
Additional Facts
Jess Palacio

Class: Freshman
Hometown: Sparks
High School: Spanish Springs
Height: 5-foot-7
Event: Middle Distance

http://cmsimg.rgj.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=J7&Date=20090415&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=904150448&Ref=AR&Profile=1018&MaxW=180&Border=0&q=100

Ellie