PDA

View Full Version : Heroic Marine saves mother, unborn child

thedrifter
04-15-09, 06:48 AM
Heroic Marine saves mother, unborn child

4/13/2009 By Pfc. Damien Gutierrez , Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton
MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. —

Chasing down a car on foot, breaking through a car window, bringing the vehicle to a stop and rushing the driver to the hospital just minutes before delivering a child sounds like something straight off the silver screen.

During a routine check at the front gate, Cpl. Christopher K. Barnett, military police officer, 1st Marine Division, witnessed Erin T. Bowman, a pregnant military spouse, pass out at the wheel of her car while she drove away. Bowman suffered from what is known as eclampsia.

Women with eclampsia often have seizures. Eclampsia is the final and most severe phase of preeclampsia and occurs when preeclampsia is left untreated. Preeclampsia only occurs during pregnancy and is caused by high blood pressure.

“There aren’t enough words I can say to Cpl. Barnett to thank him for what he has done. If it wasn’t for his great attention to detail and being on his toes, my son Jayden and I wouldn’t be here right now,” Bowman said.

Without hesitation, Barnett quickly assessed the situation with great judgment and courage and was able to save the lives of Bowman and her unborn son, Jayden J. Bowman. After racing to the car and breaking through the driver’s side window, Barnett was able to stop the car and radio for paramedics. Bowman was then rushed to hospital where she delivered a healthy, 4-pound, 11-ounce baby boy during an emergency caesarian section, Feb. 6.

“I owe Barnett everything, he saved the lives of my wife and son, the two most important things in my life, said Lance Cpl. Brennan J. Bowman, rifleman, 1st Light Armor Reconnaissance Battalion, Camp Pendleton, who was deployed at the time of the accident.

Barnett was awarded the Navy & Marine Corps Commendation Medal, April 9, for his exemplarity display of courage, decisiveness and judgment that night.

“Stopping the vehicle in any possible way and getting her medical aid was my main concern. I thought she was going to lose her child,” Barnett said, “I am just glad she and Jayden are OK.”

The initiative displayed that night at the front gate embodied the core values of the Marine Corps and has set a prime example for fellow Marines to follow and look up to, said Bowman.

“I am extremely proud that my Marine had the presence of mind and situational awareness to prevent the loss of a life,” said 1st Sgt. Joseph R. Griffin, MP company first sergeant, Military Police Battalion, Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton.

Ellie