PDA

View Full Version : following in his brothers footsteps

mikysmom
04-14-09, 04:04 PM
my 9 year old son just joined the Young Marines he loves it realy a great program he wants to be like his brother i think thats great because im very proud of both of them

Donnie91
04-14-09, 08:18 PM
So glad he decided to join. They are a wonderfull organization. My 16 year old thought about joining too, but after his brother told him he would never make it (he might actually be right) he backed off.

Good luck on your journey to two blue stars!

Pam

LHMHMOM
05-06-09, 08:53 AM
What is Young Marines. How do I find out if there is one in my area? My son, who just turned 18, is leaving for boot camp on June 15. I also have a 16 year old who is trying to decide between the Marines and the Coast Guard. Being a part of something like that might help him make up his mind.

GySgtRet
05-06-09, 11:07 AM
I don't know if this is near you or not but here are a couple of URLs for you. The second one lists more.

Gunny out
:usmc:

http://www.hotym.org/

http://www.chadduck.com/ymarines/units/index.html

LHMHMOM
05-06-09, 11:55 AM
Thanks Gunny. It looks like the closest one to me is the one in Houston and that is about two hours away. The recruiters have always encouraged him participate in the poolie functions but he and his brother sometimes don't do well together and he has quit going. I will talk to our recruiter and see what he recommends.

GySgtRet
05-06-09, 12:14 PM
You are very welcome. WE have young Marines here in Virginia also and some parents travel thedistance. Both boys and girls. The Young Marines participate in the Memeorial Day gathering at Quantico National Cemetary to honor all Veterans.

Gunny out
:usmc:

mikysmom
05-06-09, 06:49 PM
my son seems to love it he grads from recruit training may 20 i took him to the recruiters to practice drill and was so funny we spent a couple hours there they gave him a hat and a shirt hes only 9 the shirt is a little big but he weres it anyways there great guys we still keep in touch even after my oldest has been in over a year

LHMHMOM
05-07-09, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into it. My son will be 17 in August but because he has a late birthday he still has two years of school left. Is he too old for this?

mikysmom
05-07-09, 12:51 PM
up to 17 but you can check for sure

mikysmom
05-21-09, 06:21 PM
garret graduated from Young Marines boot camp :banana:last night it was great we had a great time