PDA

View Full Version : Combat Fitness Test

jiro91
04-13-09, 06:28 PM
i have no idea what it is and i have one saturday. i just want to know so i know what to expect.

Petz
04-13-09, 06:40 PM
you'll learn, don't worry about it.

jiro91
04-13-09, 06:42 PM
ok that sounds good not really the answer i was looking for but it helps lol

Capital M
04-13-09, 06:45 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=USMC+combat+fitness+test&btnG=Search

jiro91
04-13-09, 06:47 PM
looks fun to me!!!

Petz
04-13-09, 06:57 PM
... tell me that on sunday.

BR34
04-13-09, 06:58 PM
It's a 880 meter SPRINT, followed by a 2 minute timed ammo can life. Ammo cans are 30 lbs each. Last is a maneuver under fire run/crawl/sprint/walk.

Right now it's pass or fail so it's pretty easy. Soon we will be given points based on our performance that will effect our promotion points...somehow.

Remember to hydrate and stretch and you should be fine.

jiro91
04-13-09, 07:03 PM
o i will

Petz
04-13-09, 07:05 PM
I think it's taking both scores and divide by two... similar to what the new rifle range with K2 is like... though that is different.

I'd say this is the way it'll be 'cause you can't run three miles and be large enough to get a 300 on the CFT

Gunner614
04-13-09, 08:19 PM
We ran a CFT at my RS last week and I have got to say it was the most demanding physical test I have done.

This is how we had it broken down:
You start out with an 800 meter(2 laps) sprint. After a very short break we did ammo can lifts. Each ammo can was 30 pounds and you had to lift it above your head until your elbows lock and let it down past your chin. Then you get a 5 minute break(:yes:).

After the break, you then get paired up with a partner who is within 10 pounds of your weight. Now, this next part is done consecutively without a break.First you do a 20 yard sprint to a cone, circle around it, then hit the ground. Then you high crawl (which is actually with you stomach on the ground) for 20 yards. You then get on your hands and knees and crawl like that for another 20 yards. Then you get up and zig zag around some cones that are spaced about 10 yards apart diagnally. After that you go up to your partner who is sitting on the ground and pick him up under the arms and drag him back through the zig zag cones. You then have to firemans carry him back to the starting line, which is about 70 yards. You set him down on the line and pick up 2 ammo cans, one in each hand, and sprint all the way down to the grenade toss, set down the cans, and toss a grenade, aiming for a target area (if you make it,-5 sec, if you miss +5 sec). Then you pick up the ammo cans and go through the zig zag cones again and sprint to the finish.

This is what I got on it:
800m sprint-2:34
30lb ammo can lifts-80
Combat course-2:54

All in all, its really hard but fun at the same time. I would much rather do this than an IST/PFt

BR34
04-13-09, 08:41 PM
We ran a CFT at my RS last week and I have got to say it was the most demanding physical test I have done.

This is how we had it broken down:
You start out with an 800 meter(2 laps) sprint. After a very short break we did ammo can lifts. Each ammo can was 30 pounds and you had to lift it above your head until your elbows lock and let it down past your chin. Then you get a 5 minute break(:yes:).

After the break, you then get paired up with a partner who is within 10 pounds of your weight. Now, this next part is done consecutively without a break.First you do a 20 yard sprint to a cone, circle around it, then hit the ground. Then you high crawl (which is actually with you stomach on the ground) for 20 yards. You then get on your hands and knees and crawl like that for another 20 yards. Then you get up and zig zag around some cones that are spaced about 10 yards apart diagnally. After that you go up to your partner who is sitting on the ground and pick him up under the arms and drag him back through the zig zag cones. You then have to firemans carry him back to the starting line, which is about 70 yards. You set him down on the line and pick up 2 ammo cans, one in each hand, and sprint all the way down to the grenade toss, set down the cans, and toss a grenade, aiming for a target area (if you make it,-5 sec, if you miss +5 sec). Then you pick up the ammo cans and go through the zig zag cones again and sprint to the finish.

This is what I got on it:
800m sprint-2:34
30lb ammo can lifts-80
Combat course-2:54

All in all, its really hard but fun at the same time. I would much rather do this than an IST/PFt

It's supposed to be 880. Add a few seconds to your time.

BR34
04-13-09, 08:42 PM
I think it's taking both scores and divide by two... similar to what the new rifle range with K2 is like... though that is different.

I'd say this is the way it'll be 'cause you can't run three miles and be large enough to get a 300 on the CFT

Huh?

Petz
04-13-09, 08:43 PM
80 meters is like 2 feet... those silly europeans just want you to think it's 263 feet... what do they know!! hahaha. semper!!!!!

edit: add your PFT and your CFT divide by two and they score you by that number... get too high and you make it confusing... plus it kinda does the same thing..... if they are both 300 then they can keep their current charts for composite score purposes.

MarinesFTW
04-13-09, 09:29 PM
Ummm.. Ill be glad to hear if you like it so much saturday.. That is if you can move.

cbazsist
04-13-09, 09:30 PM
when i took the CFT it was toned down but i still managed to get sick, but that was at my first pool meet and i was not prepared.

And you will be sore, there is no doubt there.

jiro91
04-13-09, 09:31 PM
ya i was being sarcastic about goin to like it and im goin to be screwed if i cant move because i have prom that night

Petz
04-13-09, 09:34 PM
oh, you won't feel it until the next day... don't worry.

jiro91
04-13-09, 09:35 PM
ok thats good :)

Lopez561
04-13-09, 09:43 PM
I gotta jump on the bandwagon and get my RS to to try this out. Usually its PT as usual or football or ultimate frisbee.

jiro91
04-13-09, 09:44 PM
we try to do some thing different each month

Gunner614
04-13-09, 10:02 PM
The worst part for us was after. We were all just siting there, still on the field, drinking water and stuff. I overhear two of our SSgts talking about different PT ideas and I heard the words "sun gods". I'v never heard of sun gods before so I say to my recruiter....
"What are sun gods SSgt?"
he says "You've never heard of Sun Gods!?"
"No, what are they?"
"Ok then, SCHOOL CIRCLE RIGHT DAMN NOW!!!"
So we circle up and proceed to do Sun Gods for 20 friggin minutes
"1,2,3"
ONE!!
"1,2,3
TWO!!
"QUIT BEING A B1TCH"
THREE
"THIS IS FVCKING EASY"
FOUR

I'm never going to ask my recruiter a question again lol

Gunner614
04-13-09, 10:07 PM
It's supposed to be 880. Add a few seconds to your time.

Really? I'll bring that up to my recruiter next time.

jiro91
04-13-09, 10:29 PM
The worst part for us was after. We were all just siting there, still on the field, drinking water and stuff. I overhear two of our SSgts talking about different PT ideas and I heard the words "sun gods". I'v never heard of sun gods before so I say to my recruiter....
"What are sun gods SSgt?"
he says "You've never heard of Sun Gods!?"
"No, what are they?"
"Ok then, SCHOOL CIRCLE RIGHT DAMN NOW!!!"
So we circle up and proceed to do Sun Gods for 20 friggin minutes
"1,2,3"
ONE!!
"1,2,3
TWO!!
"QUIT BEING A B1TCH"
THREE
"THIS IS FVCKING EASY"
FOUR

I'm never going to ask my recruiter a question again lol

so i dont ask any stupid questions later what is a sun god

Petz
04-13-09, 10:55 PM
that's good training right there... it doesn't hurt to ask.

Gunner614
04-13-09, 11:50 PM
so i dont ask any stupid questions later what is a sun god

A sun god is when you hold your arms straight out in front of you, palms facing up, and start doing circles with them. You start out with them out if front, to the side, then above you. It's a three count set. ex: 1,2,3-1,,,1,2,3-2 ect. The whole time your doing these your looking straight at the sun. It doesn't sound too hard, but after a CFT and 50 pushups they're a b1tch.

Gunner614
04-13-09, 11:51 PM
that's good training right there... it doesn't hurt to ask.

not at first anyway lol

Eidal
04-14-09, 02:15 AM
I did two CFT's in recruit training. Our company was one of the first to do them and they were still ironing out the kinks. As others said, you begin with a run. Unlike the other running events in boot camp you do this in boots/uts and its definitely noticibly more exhausting. There was no break between the run and the ammo can lift. After the ammo can lift we ran approx 50m down a zig zag pattern and then proceeded to buddy drag a fellow recruit 25m. Then we did a fireman carry the rest of the way. (My memory may be slightly off but everyone can get the gist). Once you finish the buddy drag you hustle back and do a grenade throw. Accurate throw deducts 5 seconds from your time. Then you do a few pushups and its over.

Unlike the PFT, the CFT is over very quickly but its exhausting. Trust me.

alauver
04-14-09, 07:59 AM
We were the 2nd or 3rd company to run it during boot camp. If you put out it will break you off. It's actually fun untill you have to firemans carry your buddy back to the beginning. My legs were on fire.

880 - 2:54
Ammo can lift - 100
The course - 2:28 (missed grenade throw)

NoRemorse
04-14-09, 08:08 AM
A sun god is when you hold your arms straight out in front of you, palms facing up, and start doing circles with them. You start out with them out if front, to the side, then above you. It's a three count set. ex: 1,2,3-1,,,1,2,3-2 ect. The whole time your doing these your looking straight at the sun. It doesn't sound too hard, but after a CFT and 50 pushups they're a b1tch.

Quintessential mind-over-matter exercise. You can do them for hours... but your eyes will dry up and shrivel and die... but that's your problem!

Petz
04-14-09, 09:04 AM
those are actually called 4 count exercises... the fourth count is just so YOU know which one you are on... and when I say you, I mean the Marine who is up front in charge of the exercise... so if...

NoRemorse
04-14-09, 09:07 AM
I also remember attention to detail applying to PT sessions. If the Drill Instructor or Series GySgt said 10 side straddle hops and we did 11.... we'd start back at one.

Excessive movement is a b!tch.

Petz
04-14-09, 09:10 AM
yeah, and or they make you get some before the next exercise.... depends on how they feel that day... generally it's start over.

fallen771
04-14-09, 11:33 AM
I've done the CFT twice. Once as a practice event and once as a graded event while in boot. It is a challenge but is not too bad. It's been described exactly as it is done. We didn't have a scoring system though in San Diego. You just had to do the run in under 3:30, 40 ammo can lifts, and the actual course in I believe less than 3:30 too. But if you're in decent physical shape it's nothing to worry about. Very few people failed it when I was doing it and I believe everyone who failed passed on the second chance. It's not something you should be worried about. Just like the pft's; always do your best and you'll be fine.

MLMonk
04-14-09, 11:55 AM
Am I the only one who hasn't done a CFT yet? lol. It sounds kind of fun to so, better then a PFT since this is sprinting, and I'm a sprinter, not an endurance runner.

Sun Gods are fun, one of my recruiters made us go to 130 counts during a Wednesday PT, I couldn't feel my arms the next day. Then I led my NJROTC's PT the next Friday and made them suffer on Sun Gods.

Petz
04-14-09, 12:57 PM
you're sprinting in boots and utes.... so it's not fun sprinting.

CalahanD
04-14-09, 04:53 PM
It is a freaking break off if you give it your all. We did it in boot camp. I got 112 lifts on the ammo can, and 2:26 during the manuever course but I have to add on 5 seconds because i didnt make the grenade throw. If you are not puking or about to puke at the end than you didnt give it your all.

StoneTheWeak
04-14-09, 05:55 PM
No-Rah motivated CFT.

Oorah motivated airwing 2 a day PT.

jiro91
04-14-09, 08:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwTMnWbSZgA this helps out a lot

bstewar09
04-18-09, 05:17 PM
We did the CFT today at my Pool Function. My 880 time wasn't anything too special. Did 110 ammo can lifts and got 2:09 on the course.

This was also done after doing an IST. Challenging yet motivating day.

alauver
04-19-09, 04:25 PM
The CFT is good ****.

AndyBowman
04-20-09, 09:27 PM
I still haven't done a CFT and finally hit the fleet tomorrow! :marine: Standby for Hazing...haha

vaughn
04-20-09, 10:01 PM
The CFT is definitely an a** kicker if you put out for it. It's what we like to call DGT. Damn Good Training! :)