PDA

View Full Version : AMU Accreditation

echo3oscar1833
04-13-09, 02:11 PM
Hey guys Im thinking of enrolling in AMU online, Im curious though on a few things for those who have attended AMU. I have already been to college once for Criminal Justice at Carl Sandburg College. My questions are do those credits transfer over to AMU, is the entire schooling online based, and is it a accreditied college. Also I have about 4 months of GI bill money left does AMU allow use of GI Bill, and also being from Illinois I have the Illinois Veterans Grant, can I use that at AMU. My veterans grant has about two years worth of money left, and it pays for everything in Illinois except for Books.

NoRemorse
04-13-09, 02:28 PM
I can't remember which Marine on here was currently enrolled in AMU, maybe Commdog but I can't remember of course.

AMU is accreditted in the North Central region. It's completely online and if Sandburg is accreditted then most of those credits should transfer over. I imagine they also gave you electives for your time in service so those should come over as well.

Alisium
04-13-09, 04:06 PM
I can't remember which Marine on here was currently enrolled in AMU, maybe Commdog but I can't remember of course.

Her and Achped (I may have spelled that wrong.)

UsmcMotorT
04-14-09, 03:58 PM
I went to two colleges before attending AMU. I have graduated and attained a Bachelors in Transportation and Logistics Management.

As long as your credits are accredited then there shouldnt be a problem with transfering your credits over, they are pretty good with that. I actually transferred 64 Credit hours.

If you attended a vocational college with 2credit hours per class, then they will join classes together to give you credit for one class, ie two 2credit courses merged to create a 3 credit course, get it?

Good college. Let me know if you have any other questions.

You can also take CLEP to get credit for courses, good luck!

scifguard
04-14-09, 04:08 PM
I believe that the Veterans Grant can only be used at state schools like ISU, UIUC, etc...

echo3oscar1833
04-14-09, 04:49 PM
I believe that the Veterans Grant can only be used at state schools like ISU, UIUC, etc...

Nope you can use the Veterans Grant at any college in Illinois. I used mine at Sandburg College. Got all of it paid for, I got two years left on the IL Veteran Grant. I kinda want to be able to use it for AMU. More than likely I won't be able to so Im going to have to come up with another way to get it paid for. There are plenty of other Federal Vet Grants and Loans.:marine:

commdog7
04-14-09, 08:38 PM
'Tis I that be enrolled in AMU! :D <br />
<br />
AMU is awesome for active military personnel. It is regionally and nationally accredited, therefore most (if not all) your credits should transfer. They also...

Alisium
04-14-09, 09:29 PM
Wow that's a HUGE plus.

I easily payed $500 a quarter for my books.

HurricaneRJ
04-14-09, 10:48 PM
I enrolled into AMU yesterday. Going for Information Technology.

echo3oscar1833
04-14-09, 11:38 PM
Wow that's a HUGE plus.

I easily payed $500 a quarter for my books.

No shi$ I feel your pain brother, I spent almost $800 each semester for books. Because my GI Bill always came after the fact, and my Illinois Vet Grant didn't cover books.

NoRemorse
04-15-09, 07:45 AM
I went to two colleges before attending AMU. I have graduated and attained a Bachelors in Transportation and Logistics Management.

As long as your credits are accredited then there shouldnt be a problem with transfering your credits over, they are pretty good with that. I actually transferred 64 Credit hours.

If you attended a vocational college with 2credit hours per class, then they will join classes together to give you credit for one class, ie two 2credit courses merged to create a 3 credit course, get it?

Good college. Let me know if you have any other questions.

You can also take CLEP to get credit for courses, good luck!

There are also FEMA tests through Frederick Community College based out of Maryland. Pardon me if my scoop is bad because I took those tests a few years ago now.

The gist of it is: download the test materials and take an online test; the majority of these tests are worth one credit and would transfer as an open credit which would satisfy most elective requirements or just get dumped into your general credits (for those who need 60 or more for a LEO position or something); after passing each test you pay $60 for each one you want on a transcript at FCC.

It's an accredited community college and you can have their transcript sent over to another accredited college so they can review them and transfer any open credits. I believe I did the equivalent of 34 credits worth of work with FCC online and transferred them all to University of Phoenix. Of course, they'll only satisfy general requirements, open electives, etc...

I paid about 1k for over a year's worth fo college credits and they're easier than the CLEP. Of course I didn't need to do 34 of them because I only had 9 general elective credits left at the time but it was a good learning experience...

Accord
04-16-09, 01:09 AM
There are also FEMA tests through Frederick Community College based out of Maryland. Pardon me if my scoop is bad because I took those tests a few years ago now.

The gist of it is: download the test materials and take an online test; the majority of these tests are worth one credit and would transfer as an open credit which would satisfy most elective requirements or just get dumped into your general credits (for those who need 60 or more for a LEO position or something); after passing each test you pay $60 for each one you want on a transcript at FCC.

It's an accredited community college and you can have their transcript sent over to another accredited college so they can review them and transfer any open credits. I believe I did the equivalent of 34 credits worth of work with FCC online and transferred them all to University of Phoenix. Of course, they'll only satisfy general requirements, open electives, etc...

I paid about 1k for over a year's worth fo college credits and they're easier than the CLEP. Of course I didn't need to do 34 of them because I only had 9 general elective credits left at the time but it was a good learning experience...
I did the same thing with FEMA and FCC, when AMU accepted every single credit it felt like cheating, but was totally legit. I still can't believe getting my 31 credits through FEMA and FCC only took a matter of a single WEEK to accomplish more than a year's worth of college. If you know about FEMA and FCC and you don't pay the $1,000 to get it done, you're stupid!