PDA

View Full Version : Old cell phones help soldiers overseas

thedrifter
04-13-09, 09:06 AM
Old cell phones help soldiers overseas

Money from recycled phones pays for calling cards
By Matt Grant
Sunday, April 12, 2009 at 11:23 p.m.

COLUMBIA -- If you're thinking of throwing out your old cell phone, you might want to think again.

Thanks to a program called, "Cell Phones for Soldiers," those old junk phones are being put to good use, especially around the holidays.

Russ Fischer is the owner of Truman's Bar and Grill in Columbia. When he's not cooking, he's doing what he can to help soldiers serving overseas.

"There's no higher sacrifice," Fischer said. "Than volunteering for a job that you know at anytime you're gonna be asked to give your life for your country."

When Fischer heard about a cell phone program helping soldiers stationed overseas, he jumped at the chance to get involved.

Here's how the program works: You take your old, broken cell phones and drop them off at drop-off locations. They then get recycled and the money from that goes to buy prepaid phone cards for soldiers serving overseas.

"It doesn't cost you anything," he said. "You're donating an item that you're just throwing away anyway."

Started by two Massachusetts teens in 2004 the program's raised over $2 million, sending more than 500,000 prepaid calling cards to soldiers overseas.

"It's amazing to us to see that people from all across the United States continue to show their support for Cell Phones for Soldiers and, most importantly, our brave American troops," said Brittany Berquist, the teenaged co-founder. "We've sent several hundred phone cards to troops from Missouri and we are so proud to be able to do that."

"I think it's a great idea," said Staff Sgt. Mark Cooley (Ret.), who spent nine years in the Marine Corps. "If I would've known about it, I got five phones still at my desk...I would have brought them up here."

Cooley was catching up and enjoying lunch at Truman's with other Marine Corps veterans. All three of them thought the program was a great idea, and wished it had been around when they were serving.

"It was really difficult, being in the service myself, trying to connect with your family and friends abroad while your deployed" said Mater Gunnery Sgt. Mitch Spaulding (Ret.), who served for 22 years. "So taking the time, like this program, that's gonna provide an opportunity for people to stay connect with their family, it's really note worthy."

These Marines say Cell Phones for Soldiers will provide a little bit of home to soldiers who are stationed so far away.

Cell Phones for Soldiers accepts all types of phones that are no longer working. Truman's Bar and grill is the drop-off location for Columbia.

In Jefferson City, you can bring your old phones to the Jefferson City VA Outpatient Clinic.

Ellie