PDA

View Full Version : Iraq war veterans in Lee County to film documentary of legends

thedrifter
04-12-09, 08:34 AM
April 12, 2009
Iraq war veterans in Lee County to film documentary of legends

Survivors in SW Fla. write a part of history

by kevin lollar
klollar@news-press.com

Andrew Stewart of Naples remembers being a 20-year-old Marine private first class 59 years ago at a frozen piece of Korean hell called the Chosin Reservoir.

Veterans Inc., a production company made up of Marine combat Iraq war veterans and a civilian, has been in Lee County since Friday to interview Stewart and other Chosin veterans for a documentary called "The Chosin Few."

Although the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir has become legendary among Marines, like much of the Korean War, it has been forgotten by most Americans.

From Nov. 27 to Dec. 11, 1950, 20,000 men of the 1st Marine Division and elements of the 7th Infantry Division fought 120,000 Chinese in 30-below temperatures.

American casualties were 3,000 dead and 6,000 wounded; the Chinese lost 25,000 men and 12,500 wounded.

"As Marines, we're very proud of our heritage," producer-director Brian Iglesias said. "The Marines at the Chosin Reservoir, they are our heroes. They went through some intense stuff and set the standard for combat excellence in the face of overwhelming odds.

"Their story has not been told. If we don't do it, who will?"

Veterans Inc. is:

- Iglesias, captain, 13 years active duty, two tours in Iraq as an infantry platoon commander with the 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines, honors graduate film degree from Temple University.

- Producer Anton Sattler, captain, two tours in Iraq as an infantry platoon commander and company executive officer with 3rd Battalion, 7th Marines, honors graduate from the University of Pittsburgh with degrees in film studies and English.

- Sound mixer Jamil Brown, sergeant, one tour in Iraq, lost right leg below the knee to an improvised explosive device, graduate of the Wounded Marines Careers Foundation.

- Assistant director Adam Ahlbrant, civilian, graduate of Temple University's film program and Iglesias' roommate at Temple.

Iglesias got his training as a filmmaker when the Marine Corps sent him to film school.

"After I graduated, they sent me to war for a while, and things were put on hold," he said. "On Sept. 12, 2004, we were in a nasty fire fight in Ramadi, and I told myself, 'If I get out of this place alive, I'm going to follow my dream and make films.'"

Deciding to make a documentary about the Chosin Reservoir, Iglesias started putting a team together.

"I met Brian in January, and he had this idea on paper," Sattler said. "Being a former Marine and Chosin being legendary, I fell in love with the idea. I said, 'Whatever you want done, I'll do it, even if it's just make coffee.'"

Brown, who lost his leg June 6, 2006, said being part of the project is therapeutic.

"I got blown up and lost my foot and thought I had it bad," he said. "But to hear these guys tell their stories: They had it worse. They're like heroes."

Before coming to Lee County, the film crew interviewed 15 Chosin veterans in New York and New Jersey; eventually, they hope to interview 200 veterans from a dozen states.

On Wednesday, Iglesias, Sattler, Brown and Ahlbrant packed a mini-van and drove 24 straight hours from New Jersey to the Sanibel Harbour Resort & Spa, where they are doing the interviews.

Aside from a small grant from the Marine Heritage Foundation and some individual donations, the crew is financing the $60,000 documentary out of their own pockets, often using what Iglesias called "begged, borrowed and stolen" equipment.

"We're eating MREs, and we've slept on the side of the road in the van," Iglesias said. "But we're Marines. Being tired, wet and miserable now is a good day because nobody's shooting at us."

The crew hopes to have the film broadcast on television some time.

By the time the crew expects to finish shooting today, they will have interviewed 30 of Southwest Florida's Chosin Few, including Stewart, who had nothing nice to say about President Harry Truman and Gen. Douglas MacArthur, commander of United Nations forces in Korea until Truman relieved him of command in April 1951.

"I'm here so this battle is not forgotten, in memory of the guys who didn't come back," Stewart said. "They're the real heroes.

"They saved the Marine Corps: Truman didn't like the Marine Corps; MacArthur didn't like the Marine Corps. We had a joke: After MacArthur couldn't get us all killed, Truman fired his ass."

This is not a Hollywood production - no corporate jets, location scouts or caterers.

It's a handful of Marines and a civilian telling the story of the Chosin Few.

"It's nice to be able to do this for these guys," Iglesias said. "These are the old guys who take too long in the supermarket or drive too slow on the freeway. But to us they're walking giants who have done more for their country than most people can imagine."
Additional Facts
Online info

For more information about "The Chosin Few," visit:

frozenchosin.com

Ellie