PDA

View Full Version : Marines answer Boonton officer's call for Iraq duty

thedrifter
04-12-09, 07:17 AM
Marines answer Boonton officer's call for Iraq duty

27-year-old reservist gets to fulfill goal of serving as military cop

By Tehani Schneider
Daily Record

BOONTON--Scott Gamsby enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corp Reserves in 2005, hoping to be deployed overseas as a member of the military police in Iraq.

But the opportunity didn't arise and Gamsby -- who was then working as a police dispatcher in Mountain Lakes -- set his sights on the Boonton Police Department.

The 27-year-old man joined the patrol division last December and settled into his new job in Boonton, where he graduated high school in 2000 and still lives.

Half a year later, Gamsby will have that chance that once eluded him. He heads to Camp Lejeune in North Carolina in May to prepare for deployment to Al Asad Airbase in Iraq.

"It's bittersweet, so to speak," Gamsby said. "I had actually volunteered twice but for whatever reasons, they didn't need military police, so I had kind of just put it by the wayside. ... I was excited about my job and then this happened."

Boonton police Chief Michael Beltran said the department, which has 20 officers, will work around Gamsby's absence. His departure, however, will impact an already hamstrung force.

Gamsby was the only new officer hired in the past few years as the department has worked around the town's budget constraints and left positions of retired officers vacant, the chief said.

"Scott's a very good officer, and we are going to miss him. We knew before hiring him that he was in reserves and could be deployed overseas," Beltran said.

"We're doing the best we can with what we have. We'll make do until he returns and pray for his safe return," the chief said.

Gamsby -- who also served as a dispatcher in Lincoln Park before coming to Boonton -- had initially staved off enlisting after high school. The Sept. 11 terrorist attacks only made his resolve grow stronger, he said.

"It was just always something I wanted to do and I knew if I didn't, I would regret it," he said. "I was working as a dispatcher and wanted that edge. ... I felt a duty, an obligation to do it."

Gamsby is single and does not have children, so he has few family responsibilities to worry about while he's overseas.

"Compared to other people with wives and kids, I have it pretty easy," he said. "No one depends on me."

The Marine reservist learned in March of the planned deployment to Al Asad, the military's largest airbase in the western Iraq province of Al Anbar.

As a member of the Marine Wing Support Squadron 472 (MWSS-472), Lance Cpl. Gamsby will be part of a convoy security unit and also aid in Explosive Ordnance Disposal, or EOD.

His unit, which is based at Naval Air Station in Willow Grove, Pa., will leave on May 15 for several months of training at Camp Lejeune. Gamsby will deploy from the base with 700 Marines and is expected to be in Iraq by mid-September, he said.

At Al Asad, the Marine unit might play a prominent role in President Obama's exit strategy.

The base, which provides support for the smaller bases in the province, is a chief convoy hub, according to the Department of Defense. Marines stationed at Al Asad will travel to the other bases to begin the pullout movement, Gamsby said.

"From what I gather and understand ... we're kind of like the beginning of the end over there," he said. "We're going to pick them up, pack them up and bring them back to Al Asad."

In the meantime, the community--and Gamsby's fellow officers-- have offered their encouragement as he prepares for the mission.

"They've been absolutely very supportive, between the chief, the captain, the lieutenants, all the guys here," Gamsby said. "I feel bad for them, because they finally got another officer and I'm leaving."

Boonton residents, too, have reached out to Gamsby to wish him well.

"The townspeople, the fire department, first aid squad," Gamsby said, ticking off the list of his many supporters. "I go on a call anywhere and people are there, shaking my hand."

Ellie