PDA

View Full Version : Spit shinnig Boots

Marine1955
04-11-09, 11:03 PM
God does anyone remember spit shinning your boots or shoes ???
Sh*t I haven't seen anyone say how hard it is or was to get them right really. I remember staying up nights and weekends to get my boots ready for inspection for Monday morning inspection and Friday weekend pass inspection Sh*ts. what the F*CK IS GOING ON?? If your boots didn't pass inspection you didn't get weekend liberty and that sucked big time.And we wore our a uniforms not civics jeans and a shirt Sh*t.Plus you had a Liberty card to go to town, sign by the first shirt so you could go.Seems like the corps has laps in tradition to me. But thats me speaking not all here.I made a little money spit shinning boots for those who couldn't do it well. Then I learned of mop and glow it worked real well until the O.I.C. said been over on your toes and all hell would break loose.And those in the know , know what I'm talking about,, right!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway the corps has gone soft to me a little,not much, but a little.That just me so don't get ****ed at anyone else but me.Anyway Sempe Fi you Azz holes and stay low and keep your azz low..

Alisium
04-11-09, 11:25 PM
I think I was one of the last platoons to be issued the leather shoes in recruit training. Every has the patent leather ones. I got rid of mine right after recruit training myself.

The boots, I'm glad they're gone. I had a couple pair that I kept shined real well. I never thought it was hard and used to use shining time as way to relax. I even did it for my friends.

But shining my feild boots was another story. That pised me off. By the time I got to the mech-assault course they were sued and had to be rebuffed.

I was so happy to finally get the new sued boots and I always thought they looked better anyways with the cammies. Even when we got our issue deserts before deployment.

Alisium
04-11-09, 11:29 PM
Boots should have to go out in town in uniform still. If only to save them from their own sense of fashion.

ameriken
04-11-09, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I remember that crap, especially when you got new boots, like in boot camp. The leather was raw black, and it took layers and layers of polish before you could get a shine. Then after you got the initial shine, there were times when you just couldnt get it spit shined just right....sometimes they polished right up, and other times the shine had a cloudy hue to it.

I also remember getting the raw brass buckles in boot camp, and having to use Brasso many times before I was able to get a smooth shine.

INDIA3048
04-12-09, 12:21 AM
I Spit Shined My Boots, To This Day I Still Do. Just After I Had Got Out (2002) Slowly The New Boots Were Being Issued. Burned Brass Too!!! When I Was In Bootcamp Had Purchased Some "glisten" Via Recruit Px, Later I Found Out Recruit Don't Rate Such An Item. Paid For In Full On The Quarterdeck. My Dad ,marine As Well Taught Me How Before I Went In. Tried Mop And Glow Once For Myself, Stuck To Just Spit And Water After Wards. Do Remember The Days Though Ha!, Even Had Cut High And Tights In My Barracks Room Sunday Evenings For The Gee-dunk. There Are Some Changes In The Corps, Some Like And Also Some Dislike, Leaving Myself As Well Saying " What The Fvck Over!" Never The Less Brother We Still Get Some!!!
Semper Fi

echo3oscar1833
04-13-09, 12:36 AM
I never had a problem with the black jungle boots. While in boot camp I kept a nice shine on them, and same with MCT, when we actually had the time. Plus with the old Cammies, I always pressed them myself. I noticed overtime after wearing the same pair a week, washing them on a weekend, and then repressing them the Cammies got thinner and held a better crease, plus they faded which I liked. In the fleet I never once remember actually spit shining, I just did a good fleet buff on the boots. My last three months in I bought a pair of Digitals Desert Cammies and wore them. I loved them they were so much more comfortable. But that was at the time when we could still wear the black boots with the digitals. I wanted a pair of the new boots, but never could get a pair. Then there was a shortage on all of the digitals, and new boots in the fleet because all of the higher ups a first dibs on them before everyone else. The phase time when all of that stuff was funny, because you had alot of us wearing the old Cammies, and then the boots wearing the Digitals. Plus at that time you could wear either the deserts, or woodland digitials as a preference in garrison. Make a long story short for about a year no one matched in formation. :D

Maldonado 2060
04-13-09, 08:57 AM
I loved polishing my boots. My favorite were the vietnam era green/black jungle boots with some supercreased woodlands, made me feel like the biggest peacock. Then I learned what I didnt rate to wear by a gunny, needless to say those boots became a display item.

Gunner 0313
04-13-09, 09:16 AM
:flag:I remember breaking in our boots in Receiving. We had to wear them in the shower and use copious amounts of saddle soap to break them in. I actually still have my inspection shoes from Boot.

[echo3oscar1833 Plus at that time you could wear either the deserts, or woodland digitials as a preference in garrison. Make a long story short for about a year no one matched in formation.]

Now that blows my mind. That sh!t never existed when I was in. Sounds fvckin nasty ! LOL

echo3oscar1833
04-13-09, 11:38 AM
:flag:I remember breaking in our boots in Receiving. We had to wear them in the shower and use copious amounts of saddle soap to break them in. I actually still have my inspection shoes from Boot.

[echo3oscar1833 Plus at that time you could wear either the deserts, or woodland digitials as a preference in garrison. Make a long story short for about a year no one matched in formation.]

Now that blows my mind. That sh!t never existed when I was in. Sounds fvckin nasty ! LOL

Yeah its true lol, it was like that for a bit when I was in during the phase in. You had Marines wearing old Cammies, Digital Cammies, some with black boots, some with the suede boots. All of the boots wore the woodland digitals and suede boots that they were issues. But if you were issued the old Cammies like me you could buy either a pair of Deserts or Woodland Digitals, and boot preference was either jungle boots, or suede boots. Most of is bought a pair of Deserts as they were more avaliable at the time to get a hold of.

GSEMarine94
04-14-09, 01:29 PM
Yeah I remember shining my boots, as well as ironing/starching my cammies to the point they could stand on their own. Luckily for me I was in the wing thus the only time I ever wore cammies was to formations. :D

Quinbo
04-14-09, 02:20 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38286

Manymoonsago
04-14-09, 02:33 PM
I think I was one of the last platoons to be issued the leather shoes in recruit training. Every has the patent leather ones. I got rid of mine right after recruit training myself.

It's hard for me to believe that the Corps allows enlisted Marines to wear patent leather shoes. We'd spend hours spit shining our shoes. I still do.

yanacek
04-14-09, 03:01 PM
It's hard for me to believe that the Corps allows enlisted Marines to wear patent leather shoes. We'd spend hours spit shining our shoes. I still do.

Corfam (DuPont's version of patent leather) has been authorized for wear by enlisted Marines since at least 1978 when I enlisted. They are a great time-saver if you wear blues or greens a lot, but they are terrible for your feet. Nothing like the old leather issued shoes.

BigPhil
04-14-09, 03:23 PM
Was issued rought leather boots and boondockers had to shine both, also had to steel wool our brown dress shoes and dye them so we could polish them black, the same with the cap viser and out gloves. That was in 61

Ken Hendry
04-14-09, 03:34 PM
I still spit shine my shoes & my boots:flag:

FistFu68
04-14-09, 03:58 PM
:evilgrin: Bought Myself sum new Shoes for upcoming confirmation of my Daughter Fawn.Some Blk.Wingtips I'm burning the The Kiwi right now!!!Still 'chine my street Boots Blk. Arcadia Danner Commanders.Wax-On Wax-Off :marine: :beer:

Alisium
04-14-09, 04:00 PM
Corfam (DuPont's version of patent leather) has been authorized for wear by enlisted Marines since at least 1978 when I enlisted. They are a great time-saver if you wear blues or greens a lot, but they are terrible for your feet. Nothing like the old leather issued shoes.

The new shoes are quite comfortable. Like go-fasters in some cases. I was so happy to throw mine away. (Wish I didn't for posterity's sake, though.)

And thank you, MSgt. , for the spelling of the word. Sometimes I said stuff over and over again in the Marine Corps and never knew, for sure, if i was saying it correctly.

:thumbup:

I still shine my church and work shoes.

ggyoung
04-14-09, 04:25 PM
We were told in boot camp not to spit shine boots Just a damn good buff shine. I was issued brown dress shoes and had to die them black. In the Marine Corps I was in nobody ever got points for spit shined boots.

FistFu68
04-14-09, 06:36 PM
:evilgrin: Being tha' Plt.House Mouse,Made Me 1 Spittt-shining busy Maggot,those 3 D.I.'S I had Where A.J. squared away 110% of tha time at my expense while others slept.But that was Kool they knew I was a Army brat,my PaPa had Me doing His 4 @ allowance $$.S/F :marine: :beer:

Alisium
04-14-09, 06:37 PM
It's a good skill to have in the barracks too, just like cutting hair. Make $$$.

SGT7477
04-14-09, 09:12 PM
God does anyone remember spit shinning your boots or shoes ???
Sh*t I haven't seen anyone say how hard it is or was to get them right really. I remember staying up nights and weekends to get my boots ready for inspection for Monday morning inspection and Friday weekend pass inspection Sh*ts. what the F*CK IS GOING ON?? If your boots didn't pass inspection you didn't get weekend liberty and that sucked big time.And we wore our a uniforms not civics jeans and a shirt Sh*t.Plus you had a Liberty card to go to town, sign by the first shirt so you could go.Seems like the corps has laps in tradition to me. But thats me speaking not all here.I made a little money spit shinning boots for those who couldn't do it well. Then I learned of mop and glow it worked real well until the O.I.C. said been over on your toes and all hell would break loose.And those in the know , know what I'm talking about,, right!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway the corps has gone soft to me a little,not much, but a little.That just me so don't get ****ed at anyone else but me.Anyway Sempe Fi you Azz holes and stay low and keep your azz low..
Never forget Marine that mirror image, how about breaking down the brass no such thing as anodized brass in our time, Semper FI.

SGT7477
04-14-09, 09:16 PM
Between 74 thru 77 they were around but weren't allowed for inspections.:flag:

SGT7477
04-14-09, 09:18 PM
What was the stuff in a gold and orange can used to shine brass, it was like cotton, I just can't remember the name of it?

04-14-09, 11:03 PM
Did it look sumthin' like this?.....
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=549&pictureid=5024

Alisium
04-14-09, 11:13 PM

Like what?

Quinbo
04-15-09, 02:53 AM
It was or is called durra glit

04-15-09, 08:49 AM
Like what?

I see a gold and orange can of duraglit.

Doc FMF
04-15-09, 09:00 AM
Yep, know all about the spit shine. When I enlisted the shoe's were cordovan, not black. The ole bottle shine was the good one. Visited my son on the USS Nimitz, 11 years after I retired. His section, CAT-4, was having inspection. I spit shined his shoes. his shipmates seen me, the ole Chief, so I did about 6 more pair. They all got attaboys at the inspection.

SGT7477
04-15-09, 07:02 PM
Looks like the same stuff, Thank You Marine for refreshing my memory, Semper FI.:flag:

sparkie
04-06-10, 07:32 AM
Taught my son to spit shine. He had the best shine in fire academy.