PDA

View Full Version : Breathing Problem?

Pandza03
04-11-09, 08:15 PM
'Evening Everyone.

I am 15 years of age (16 in June) and have had my sights set on the Marine Corps for quite a few years now. Lately I've been out running, and getting into shape after a long period of "Gaming addiction" and have noticed a few things.
I'm 15 and 125Lbs. (small kid) And I have lived around a whole family of smokers all my life. Every time I get out and run, I run fine, good form and all but my problem is, every time I get done, I do my cool down walk, I breathe normally but every time I IN-hale, it seems like I feel the need to cough. Almost as if I have like some thing in my throat forcing me to cough. I can go home and sit down and still feel it while i breathe in. Now joining the Marine Corps is a HUGE goal I've set for my self and I don't want anything holding me back and I'm hoping it might be something temporary. I don't smoke, I'm not sick in any way, and in fairly good shape. My doctor says there is nothing wrong that she can see but..

Does anyone have a clue, or has anyone had the similar problem?

Thanks in advance everyone.

-Pandza.

JSam
04-11-09, 08:18 PM
Proper hydration? Just a guess... Do you have issues breathing while running?

MrSnips
04-11-09, 08:56 PM
This happens to me occasionally. I haven't found anything that causes it or cures it. Does it always happen?

SlingerDun
04-11-09, 09:06 PM
Does anyone have a clue, or has anyone had the similar problem?Second hand smoke. If you are still exposed to it regular like, the Dr. may not have "seen" it but should have picked it up through a stethoscope. Two different MD's told me after physicals about one year apart that my lungs didn't sound so bad for a smoker. I didn't mention that i was not a smoker at that time because i knew it was the smokers i lived and worked with who had polluted my lungs. Not sure what all you can do at your age except leave the room or house when somebody lights up because hacking up crud after a run won't purify lung tissue.

--->Dave

Pandza03
04-11-09, 09:09 PM
I'll occasionally hydrate while running for a while, but it helps slightly.

The second hand smoke issue, it could very well be a part of it but I avoid smoke as much as possible, I don't let the parents smoke in the car and I always keep my window open and such but its not like it ALWAYS happens, its occasionally, I should've mentioned that.

EDIT: -->Jsam: It doesn't happen while running.

SaltDog
04-12-09, 03:24 AM
You have symptoms of asthma. However, if you can run and not experience breathing problems, it is possible that you have low-level asthma.
<O:p</O:p
I suggest you have a physical to determine if you do and to what degree.

nrml1
04-12-09, 03:31 AM
'Evening Everyone.

I am 15 years of age (16 in June) and have had my sights set on the Marine Corps for quite a few years now. Lately I've been out running, and getting into shape after a long period of "Gaming addiction" and have noticed a few things.
I'm 15 and 125Lbs. (small kid) And I have lived around a whole family of smokers all my life. Every time I get out and run, I run fine, good form and all but my problem is, every time I get done, I do my cool down walk, I breathe normally but every time I IN-hale, it seems like I feel the need to cough. Almost as if I have like some thing in my throat forcing me to cough. I can go home and sit down and still feel it while i breathe in. Now joining the Marine Corps is a HUGE goal I've set for my self and I don't want anything holding me back and I'm hoping it might be something temporary. I don't smoke, I'm not sick in any way, and in fairly good shape. My doctor says there is nothing wrong that she can see but..

-Pandza.

I have the exact same problem, no smokers around me ever, no history of asthma. I've found that its worse if I run in cold weather, or when its sunny but windy. Doesn't impede my running or activity at all, its just annoying because well, I have to cough but not a lot just enough to clear some stuff from my throat.

Hayes
04-12-09, 04:14 AM
I use to have that problem. I was misdiagnosed with asthma when i was like 3 until I joined the Marines. Found out it wasnt asthma, I was just allergic to cats. Ive had cats around me my whole life. But anywhere but home im fine, sucks when i go home though. As for the smoking. Well not trying to be a bad influence but I smoke a cigarette before every run, it expands my lungs for me and I can breathe alot better. I run a 20 min 3 mile. Take it for what its worth. Maybe your allergic to something ?

Hayes
04-12-09, 04:17 AM
I dont know why I didnt think of this before. When i was in 29 palms the sand would always get stuck in my throat and it was like i had flem in there or something. So what I did is I started running with a camel back. Everytime my throat started to get dry and clogged with sand id just take a sip of water real quick and id be good. Water can solve everything. Except herpes...that **** is for life...:banana:

SGT7477
04-12-09, 07:50 AM
'Evening Everyone.

-Pandza.
You have time go to different doctors, the problem is who will be right?:flag:

Pandza03
04-12-09, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

I've never been diagnosed with asthma and had a physical last year so I'm not sure weather she found something or not. But again, it doesn't happen while I Run but if I cough enough, it'll pass. I don't really know. Pretty warm day in Georgia today, so ill go for a run later on and update.

commdog7
04-12-09, 12:39 PM
It is common for most people to cough after they run, it doesn't necessarily mean that there is a serious problem. But if you are coughing really bad, that's not a good thing. Stay away from second-hand smoke and see if MEPS will accept you when you're old enough.

DGardner
04-12-09, 10:32 PM
You CAN'T diagnose someone over the internet. If you are truly concerned about it you need to you see your family physician. There are a few different things that could cause what you are describing. A few simple tests can determine (most of the time) what the problem is. Remember.. it's always better to KNOW what the problem is, than to wonder.

-Gardner

Pandza03
04-13-09, 12:53 AM
Ran 3 miles today and came home. It happened again but it was very light. I'll Speak with the parents to go get a physical soon.

Again thanks a lot for the replies, I appreciate it.