PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Test

dragslickhobo73
04-10-09, 08:56 PM
Hi I am a pollee leaving to MCRD San Diego I know people say you shouldnt worry about it but I am worried about the swimming test. I am a pretty big guy 6'1 and weigh 216. I can swim decent I wont drown but I am wondering how long do you have to float for? how much does your gear weight? Well if you could please write me back thank you!

NoRemorse
04-10-09, 08:59 PM
It's actually easier with the gear. You'll be briefed on all that trash before you get dunked. If anything, hook up with a buddy who's a good swimmer now and work out your pool anxiety.

Getting in the pool is easy as long as you follow orders and didn't lie when the drill instructors ask who can or can't swim. They'll take you to remedial for a while if you can't swim... or just can't qual...

You've got enough to worry about at Boot (worry being a second to second thing since you won't have time to think ahead to your next thrashing) so make sure you're confident in the water and relaxed before you even get to Boot or go to swim qual.

BR34
04-10-09, 10:11 PM
The pack they give you floats. You'll be leaning back on it while "swiming" down the pool. All you have to do is keep your legs moving.

Eidal
04-11-09, 10:01 AM
Swim week was easy and also the only "fun" part of Phase 1. Depending on your DI's, you'll have a few hours of down time as recruits file back from the pool in small groups. This time is usually spent studying prac.

Boot camp lets you get up to Qual 2, but you only need Qual 4 to graduate. Its a joke, seriously. We had a few guys who did not know how to swim at all and it took them one extra day to pass Qual 4. I got Qual 3. I know I could have done Qual 2 but I was running a high fever and gave up too quick. I originally expected it to be difficult given the weight of the gear while out of water, but as someone else said, everything floats. Just listen to the instructor and enjoy this week since you're done with initial drill and you get to look forward to going up north.