PDA

View Full Version : Boxing

Ethos
04-10-09, 07:41 PM
Any of you guys ever box before? It is a demanding sport. I just got through sparring with a dude who trains for boxing and mma, and I have to say, I got my ass whooped. By the time I was done, I felt like I just got through running miles. And I gotta say, it is kinda addicting, getting your ass whopped only makes you want to do it more.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to promote boxing as a great cross training workout that involves a great deal of stamina, power, and the ability to not be afraid of taking one in the chin lol. I have a lot to improve, so I'd be definately incorporating boxing to my workouts, I don't know how yet, but I will.

So, my suggestion to you other poolees is to add boxing or mma to your preparation for bootcamp. Buy two pairs of boxing gloves, invite a friend, kick his ass, get your ass kicked, whatever. At the end of the day you get a massive cardio and full body workout that will add some excitement to your workout program.

NoRemorse
04-10-09, 09:04 PM
Bring a waiver for when somebody gets hurt and wants to sue because they can't ship out due to injury.

You're taking a risk with any kind of training but be smart about it and make sure you're not ending a potential career in the Marine Corps before it starts.

That is to say of course, make sure you're training with someone who really knows what they're doing and doesn't have a huge ego (so they won't snap your wrist just to prove a point).

My two cents are worth about a nickel so enjoy.

Ethos
04-11-09, 10:23 AM
Yes, of course, PFC, safety is my number one priority.

ggyoung
04-11-09, 10:57 AM
Bring a waiver for when somebody gets hurt and wants to sue because they can't ship out due to injury.

You're taking a risk with any kind of training but be smart about it and make sure you're not ending a potential career in the Marine Corps before it starts.

That is to say of course, make sure you're training with someone who really knows what they're doing and doesn't have a huge ego (so they won't snap your wrist just to prove a point).

My two cents are worth about a nickel so enjoy.

NoRemorse--------You way to young to remember the "Smokers" that the Marines and the Navy had. Boxing matches on Sunday afternoon. Damn they were good. I believe that should be brought back. I never heard of one Marine or Sailor ever mising a movment or anything else. I remember while on the LPH Princeton we had a smoker on 6May65 and landed at Che-Lay on 7May 65. I really believe this is one thing that should come back

SSgt Ramsey
04-11-09, 11:23 AM
You also have to be aware of this. A buddy of mine was into the UFC thing and competed locally from Camp Lejeune.

During one of the fights, he got messed up pretty badly and required a lengthy hospital stay. The Governement refused to pay his medical bills due to it being "not in the line of duty".

He got medically separated but no benefits from either DOD or the VA and had to pay out of his own pocket.

I've also heard this scenario also with the "cowboys" who ride bulls. If they get hurt, it's on them.

Hitchcock
04-11-09, 11:24 AM
I do kick boxing and grappling with my friends and brother many times during the week and sometimes for PT my recruiter teaches us some judo type moves, then lets us fight each other. And I love it.

Yeah, I agree with Ethos in that doing Martial Arts is a great thing to do to help you in your training. Just remember to stay safe and don't try any of that crazy Jackie Chan stuff.

Ethos
04-11-09, 11:30 AM
I've also heard this scenario also with the "cowboys" who ride bulls. If they get hurt, it's on them.

Yes sir, I've also heard about this. In fact, I was invited by a few of my classmates to ride a bull a couple of months ago. I declined.

NoRemorse
04-11-09, 12:52 PM
NoRemorse--------You way to young to remember the "Smokers" that the Marines and the Navy had. Boxing matches on Sunday afternoon. Damn they were good. I believe that should be brought back. I never heard of one Marine or Sailor ever mising a movment or anything else. I remember while on the LPH Princeton we had a smoker on 6May65 and landed at Che-Lay on 7May 65. I really believe this is one thing that should come back

Sounds like a good way to build some esprit and have a blast at the same time. I was reading a book at one point and I can't remember if it was fiction or based on a true story regarding a West coast Marine... I think the story was based before the '40's and was about him boxing for the Corps.

I'll be damned I haven't been able to remember the name of that book for years. Now I'm off-track... Smokers sound like a great idea... as long as the ref doesn't hate one of the boxers...

Semper Fi :flag:

FistFu68
04-11-09, 12:53 PM
:evilgrin: Boxing is a Great way too Knock Your opponet Out Cold from the Git-Go.Stick w/it no pun intended(LOL) :beer: :iwo:

Quinbo
04-11-09, 01:21 PM
SSgt Ramsey ... Marines who ride bulls are still Marines 24 hours a day and are covered. I can vouch for that. You do need a signature from your CO that he is aware you are participating in a hazardous sport. Goes the same if you are home on libbo and cut your finger off running the weed eater. You are covered.

SSgt Ramsey
04-11-09, 02:07 PM
I may be half crazy, but a liar I'm not...

A "cowboy" from one of the VMAQ's had his pelvis broken by a angry bull and had to have pins etc. implanted. It was ruled "not in the line of duty" and was not covered.

He got a bill for his medical stay and treatment incurred. He checked into MAG-14 HQ after his release pending his med sep.

Quinbo
04-11-09, 02:15 PM
Not trying to imply that you are lying friend. Just from a different vantage point I can say I was hurt a couple times and was covered.

http://www.bealenet.com/~bulkyker/bulkyker.jpg

FistFu68
04-11-09, 02:35 PM
:evilgrin: On a Company Level,them thar' SmokerPunch out's got 2 become a real Hoot when it came time for an Officer @ an Enlisted Marine 2 git it on!!! :beer: :thumbup:

SSgt Ramsey
04-11-09, 02:38 PM
I think it's a bit different now than when you were in, and not saying that to be a smartass or start anything.

The last few years I was in, the Navy/Marine Corps took a big stand on off-duty injuries. A lot of Marine's who were hurt as a result of boxing/extreme sports and others like bullriding did so at their own peril...as they were not sanctioned by the USMC or DOD.

Motorcycle riders also fell into this catagory...especially II MEF....if a rider was hurt or killed without the proper riding gear etc. they would NOT pay for any medical bills or if killed, the money would NOT be paid on their SGLI. This happened a few times that I can remember.

Quinbo
04-11-09, 02:43 PM
Nothing to argue about or tell sea stories about. If that is the way it is now then I believe you.

We had smokers on float and it was great to see our company gunny step into the ring with a golden gloves boxer (unbeknown to him) and take royal pounding from a lance coolie.

SSgt Ramsey
04-11-09, 02:52 PM
Hell, times change bro...I probably couldn't imput a reenlistment request now into TFRS if I wanted to being away from it for a while...towards the end of my time I was figuring out how to use MDS for bonus'...being a non-admin guy it was difficult to wrap my head around a lot of the admin schtuff.

My last deployment as a HE operator was to Savannah GA at Hunter Army Airfield. There was a group of Ranger's fairly close by...and they decided to raid us one night.

I'm not saying we kicked the crap outta the Rangers, but we held our ground and got their flag and kept it :D We had our cuts but they limped off towards home :evilgrin:

The next day, their Ranger Major came to our "house" and confronted our Major who was the Det OIC. He was a helicopter pilot and a former all-american football player. Absolutely NO neck and huge. The Ranger tried to intimidate him...our Major said that the 2 of them could take it outside...if he won, we kept the flag...if they won, we'd give the flag back. Last I saw the Ranger's flag, it was in the trophy case at MWSS-274:D

Quinbo
04-12-09, 02:57 AM
I just can't wrap myself around the idea that the new Corps will not treat you if you are injured outside of the line of duty. For instance if you are home on leave and get hit by a bus ... you will have to pay the medical bills. Not in the line of duty right? I can understand how some of that might apply to a non drilling reservist busting his leg in a recreational skiing accident but not active duty personnel. If you are out surfing a long way from any military base and get your leg bit off by a shark you will get treatment at the nearest medical facility and tri-care will pick up the tab.

What more can I say? Yea I've been away from it for quite a while but my wife is still active duty so I'm not completely talking out my ass.

SSgt Ramsey
04-12-09, 07:47 AM
I think their intent is if Marine's put themselves in intrinsically dangerous acts//hobbies is where they are going...meaning if you are entered into a non DoD fight or bullriding etc. w/o permission etc.

Freak accidents and things beyond your control I think a Marine would be taken care of....

II MEF got weird towards the end of my time....the CG was HELL on accidents and Marine's doing things without the proper gear etc. especially motorcycle accidents.

Ethos
04-12-09, 12:26 PM
Hell, times change bro...I probably couldn't imput a reenlistment request now into TFRS if I wanted to being away from it for a while...towards the end of my time I was figuring out how to use MDS for bonus'...being a non-admin guy it was difficult to wrap my head around a lot of the admin schtuff.

My last deployment as a HE operator was to Savannah GA at Hunter Army Airfield. There was a group of Ranger's fairly close by...and they decided to raid us one night.

I'm not saying we kicked the crap outta the Rangers, but we held our ground and got their flag and kept it :D We had our cuts but they limped off towards home :evilgrin:

The next day, their Ranger Major came to our "house" and confronted our Major who was the Det OIC. He was a helicopter pilot and a former all-american football player. Absolutely NO neck and huge. The Ranger tried to intimidate him...our Major said that the 2 of them could take it outside...if he won, we kept the flag...if they won, we'd give the flag back. Last I saw the Ranger's flag, it was in the trophy case at MWSS-274:D

Man I love to hear **** like this.

Quinbo
04-12-09, 01:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51lOSeThsrU

Ethos
04-12-09, 04:49 PM
Good stuff, Sgt.

NoRemorse
04-12-09, 07:42 PM
Plenty of Marines have come to Westchester Medical over the years due to motorcycle accidents. We've got more than our share in the county. Anyways, these Marines are usually not covered by Tricare and there's no No-Fault coverage either.

Out of pocket costs are bad enough, what awaits them when they return to their commands tends to be worse.

Quinbo
04-13-09, 12:14 AM
This is a friend of mine I actually met through a coonhunting web site and encouraged him to join the Marines. I think his story is relevant to this conversation.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jeremydaniels