PDA

View Full Version : Guide

NoPainNoGain17
04-10-09, 05:54 PM
This is just a random question I wanted to ask. What exactly does it take to be the guide during boot camp? Do you have to be the most athletic to be guide, or can you be an average athletically? Obviously you need to have good leadership skills. And how many times does a guide usually get fired during boot camp?

Yeah I want to try out for guide during boot camp. If I don't get it or if I get fired then hey at least I tried and no matter, in the end, I'll still be a Marine and thats my first goal. Right now though do I have the IST results/athletic ability to become guide?

IST Results:
Crunches: 135
Pull-Ups: 20
1 1/5 Mile: 9:03

I want to try to get 25 pull-ups by the time I go to boot camp and hopefully have my 3 mile time somewhere around 20 minutes.

SGT7477
04-10-09, 06:20 PM
If you can stand up for the whole platoon you could be the guide, the platoon can go through guides like falling leaves.

NoPainNoGain17
04-10-09, 06:24 PM
Thank you for the help Sgt. I will keep that in mind.

Wyoming
04-10-09, 07:12 PM
I so look forward to the answers given, as I have forgotten those given on the other 17,684,290 other posts asking the same question.

NoPainNoGain17
04-10-09, 08:17 PM
Sorry about that Corporal, I couldnt find other posts about guides in the forums though.

Eidal
04-11-09, 10:04 AM
Guide was given out randomly to the people who seemed most anxious to receive it during the first week. Our platoon only went through a few guides but generally you'll want to be in the Top 3-5 PFT for the platoon and also be a machine when it comes to getting IT'd or kept awake for fire watch. Its a punishing billet to fill within the platoon because you're the primary target for DI Mind Games. I remember in phase one I was chillin' on the ****ter enjoying the down time and the guide posted up in the stall next to me. He got about 45 seconds into doing his business before the call "GUIDE!!!" echoed down the corridor. Things like that will happen constantly and I wouldn't reccomend this billet to anyone but the most motivated. Sure -- you'll get a meritorious out of it if you manage to hold onto it all cycle but unless you're stoic you'll definitely go crazy.

0231Marine
04-13-09, 07:10 AM
Sorry about that Corporal, I couldnt find other posts about guides in the forums though.

When I typed the word "guide" into the search function and hit GO, it gave me 20 pages of threads....weird?

How about trying again!

Shippingsoon
04-13-09, 08:35 AM
I love mind games. Can't wait to give it a go.

NoPainNoGain17
04-13-09, 06:55 PM
My fault corporal, wont happen again.

Petz
04-13-09, 07:02 PM
so... it's a perfect opportunity for us Marines to hijack another wasted thread!!!! yeah!

so I remember our guide was a snitch... told the DIs everything... I swear he stayed up until midnight just to tell the DIs who took a **** for more than 10 min.

he got fired the last two weeks 'cause only the guide can get meritoriously promoted to LCpl and everyone felt another Marine would be better. (had a 98 asvab and was going NBC) This guy never got in trouble either... really good guy, I wonder if he stayed in.

anyways, the guide never drilled with a rifle so he fvcked everything up so a few of us one night beat him up for making us drill an extra hour each day so he could learn... after that he started practicing at night instead of sitting around doing nothing. I really wanted to fvck him up worse than what we did.

coltie52
04-18-09, 05:05 PM
ha yeah you love mind games now, just wait, here i'll do it for you, your now on Stand By mode. good luck

SGT7477
04-18-09, 05:14 PM
You might be eating them words, mind games can break the best.:D

PaidinBlood
04-18-09, 06:30 PM

When we say mind games, think less MENSA and more GTMO...good luck, pal. :banana:

wil086
04-21-09, 08:35 AM
pain games are worse. my kill instructor liked apple shampoo and a scuzz towel. that still gives me chills.

Petz
04-22-09, 11:53 AM
apple shampoo... since when did they have scented shampoo? I remember using a bar of soap for my entire body the whole 3 months.

Rocky C
04-22-09, 12:02 PM
apple shampoo... since when did they have scented shampoo? I remember using a bar of soap for my entire body the whole 3 months.

I hear that!!!!
Some days cold water and NO soap.
Some days Soap and NO Water.

AHH, to do it all over again.

Apple Shampoo???
Reebok Running Sneakers???

WTF???

Rocky

Petz
04-22-09, 12:05 PM
we did two days of cold showers and the series gunny put a stop to that... said we rate hot showers in 3rd phase... the DI said he was assisting our cool down... hahaha, I laughed at that one.

honestly, after PT I never even noticed the temp of the water.

0231Marine
04-22-09, 12:08 PM
we did two days of cold showers and the series gunny put a stop to that... said we rate hot showers in 3rd phase... the DI said he was assisting our cool down... hahaha, I laughed at that one.

honestly, after PT I never even noticed the temp of the water.

That's a funny one. It's great how DI's have little excuses for things like that. And if they don't, they'll just resort to the old, "It's the way I had to do it so it won't kill you."

Petz
04-22-09, 12:12 PM
oh, no he was explaining it to the series gunnery Sgt.... who was nuts.

we had a class going on, and then all of a sudden he does a combat role into the squad bay and then low crawls the rest of the way in and pulls out this jack-in-the-box and starts cranking it until it pops open and says "scary **** ain't it?! you don't want to come see me, I've got this little guy sitting in my desk drawer"... it took everything for our DIs to not laugh... especially when he jumps up and runs out just as fast as he did coming in.

0231Marine
04-22-09, 12:15 PM
oh, no he was explaining it to the series gunnery Sgt.... who was nuts.

we had a class going on, and then all of a sudden he does a combat role into the squad bay and then low crawls the rest of the way in and pulls out this jack-in-the-box and starts cranking it until it pops open and says "scary **** ain't it?! you don't want to come see me, I've got this little guy sitting in my desk drawer"... it took everything for our DIs to not laugh... especially when he jumps up and runs out just as fast as he did coming in.

Um, that was easily one of the funniest things I've read on this site. I'm sitting here at my computer at work and I just laughed so loud that the guy behind the partition came over and asked what was so funny. Now he's laughing since he's a prior service Marine also.

mbrazil
04-22-09, 12:19 PM
Lmao, that was damn funny...I could see my gunny at the rss do that!

Petz
04-22-09, 12:29 PM
Series Gunnery Sgt GySgt Daly.